Technology & Combat Characteristics
The first mass-produced Zaku II R type. Its structure is modified from the RP type's to improve production efficiency, and the number of externally mounted transmission cables and circuits has increased. In addition, small thrusters have been added, and the waist-mounted integral fuel tanks relocated to the torso and legs. The Zaku II High Mobility Test Type is a complete redesign of the MS-06F Zaku II so as to ensure its propellant carrying capacity.
- Shoulder Shield
- Mounted on the right shoulder, it is a simple defense used to block most physical projectiles.
- M-120A1 120mm Machine Gun
- Also referred to as a "rifle" by Zeon soldiers, Zeonic was contracted to develop this weapon. Its internal development code is "ZMC38III". It can switch between semi-automatic and automatic fire. Although useless against Luna Titanium Alloy, it can still destroy weaker armor material with multiple shots. It holds 100 rounds per drum with spare drums that can be stored on waist armor racks.
- H&L-SB25K/280mmA-P Zaku Bazooka
- A portable, physical projectile-type firearm. It is primarily for anti-ship combat and displays its power in hit and run attacks. It can also be used against enemy mobile suits, but it is harder to hit a constantly moving target.
- H&L-GB05R/360mm Giant Bazooka
- The same MS-use bazooka as used by the Dom, it fires rocket-propelled 360mm physical rounds. It is fed by a 10 rounds magazine, and a single round can blow the torso off of an enemy mobile suit.
- Heat Hawk
- An axe-shaped close combat weapon, it uses a super-heated blade to cut through the armor of enemy MS or vehicles. The thermal energy is generated by the power output of the Zaku II's thermonuclear reactor and relayed through the MS' hands.
The Zaku II High Mobility Test Type was a slight modification of the MS-06RP Zaku II High Mobility Test Type and 22 units were produced. They were given to some of Zeon's ace pilots for flight tests. One such unit was given to Shin Matsunaga, who earned the nickname the "White Wolf of Solomon" because of his exploits in his white Zaku II High Mobility Test Type around the asteroid fortress of Solomon. Overall, the Zaku II High Mobility Test Type proved to be an incredibly popular design. With its increased armor and fuel capacity, the design was a vast improvement over the standard Zaku II. An improved version, the MS-06R-1A High Mobility Type Zaku II, was later produced and ten of the MS-06R-1 units were converted to this newer type.
Notes and Trivia