|Please note that this is the Gundam Wiki's article on the mobile suit from Mobile Suit Variations; if you are looking for the article on the mobile suit from "Mobile Suit Gundam: The Origin" OVA then you should head to MS-06R-1A Zaku II High Mobility Type/Origin.|
Technology & Combat Characteristics
After the successful release of the MS-06R-1 Zaku II High Mobility Test Type the Zeon engineers began to receive feedback from the pilots on ways the mobile suit's design could be improved. The biggest difference from the R-1 is that the fuel tanks on the back and legs have been modified into cartridges to solve the problem of propellant consumption. In particular, those of the legs are changed into cylindrical cartridges. This not only simplifies replenishment in the mother ship, but also allows for replenishment in outer space, and a platoon equipped with this unit is to be accompanied by a Zaku equipped with refill cartridges. As a result of these changes, the MS-06R-1A Zaku II High Mobility Type has a longer operation time.
- Shoulder Shield
- Mounted on the right shoulder, it is a simple defense to block most physical projectiles.
- 120mm Machine Gun
- A standard weapon for Zaku type mobile suits. It is a shell firing gun that does not require energy to be used, however its effectiveness against heavy armor is very limited. It holds 100 rounds per drum with spare drums that can be stored on waist armor racks.
- H&L-SB25K/280mmA-P Zaku Bazooka
- The 280mm Zaku Bazooka was another weapon that could be equipped to a Zaku type mobile suit and it fires explosive rounds. It is primarily for anti-ship combat and displays its power in hit and run attacks. It can also be used against enemy mobile suits, but it is harder to hit a constantly moving target.
- H&L-GB05R/360mm Giant Bazooka
- The same MS-use bazooka as used by the Dom, it fires rocket-propelled 360mm physical rounds. It is fed by a 10 rounds magazine, and a single round can blow the torso off of an enemy mobile suit.
- MMP-80/90mm Ver.8 Machine Gun
- An alternative to the 120mm Machine Gun. It used 90mm bullets instead of 120mm type, allowing for a greater firing speed and better penetration capabilities. The machine gun is magazine-fed with 32 rounds per mag.
- Heat Hawk
- An axe-shaped close combat weapon, it uses a super-heated blade to cut through the armor of enemy MS or vehicles. The thermal energy is generated by the power output of the Zaku II's thermonuclear reactor and relayed through the MS' hands.
- MIP-B6 Cracker Grenade
- Identical to those used by infantry, the cracker grenade is an explosive weapons designed to be thrown or launched by the MS and detonate after a set amount of time. The "cracker" breaks into several smaller munitions over a wide area. A flash-type variant also exist, which it used to temporarily paralyze the sensors of enemy MS. The Zaku II can optionally equip up to four cracker grenades, that are stored on the left and right waist armor racks, with two on each side.
A total of fifty-six Zaku II High Mobility Types were constructed, with half of the existing Zaku II High Mobility Test Types upgraded to the R1-A model. The Zaku II High Mobility Type became a highly sought after unit by ace pilots such as the Black Tri-Stars, Eric Manthfield, Masaya Nakagawa, and Shin Matsunaga. But despite its incredible popularity and high performance, the suit was considered too difficult for rookie pilots to handle, and too expensive for mass production. One unit was piloted by Vincent Gleissner of Zeon's regiment the Marchosias and participated in the battle of Solomon. In U.C. 0083, Char Aznable, Kamuji, and Fabian Frischknecht use the Tri-Stars' R-1A Zakus to attack a Federation fleet.
Notes and Trivia