Technology & Combat Characteristics
The Zaku Minelayer is not a new mobile suit per se, but actually just a standard MS-06F Zaku II equipped with a different style backpack.
With this new backpack, the Zaku II is adapted to play the role of a mine-laying unit. The new backpack houses several drums filled with space mines, with twelve mines packed into every drum. The backpack also has a few additional maneuvering thrusters and carries five times the amount of fuel of a standard Zaku II. However, the Zaku Minelayer requires a special loading area on a Musai to reload, launch, or land.
- Shoulder Shield
- Mounted on the right shoulder, it is a simple defense used to block most physical projectiles.
- Minelayer Backpack
- The standard Zaku II backpack has been replaced by a model specialized for the purpose of laying space mines. The drums are used to rapidly place mines over a wide area, a task which if done manually is both time-consuming and dangerous. Furthermore, the new backpack improves the Zaku II maneuverability and operational time by additional thrusters and fuel.
- Space Mine
- Space mines work in the same principle as the older naval mines: They are self-contained explosive device placed in space to damage or destroy spaceships passing through. There are 12 mines in each drum the Zaku Minelayer carries.
- 120mm Machine Gun
- A standard weapon for Zaku type mobile suits. It is a shell firing gun that does not require energy to be used, however its effectiveness against heavy armor is very limited. It holds 100 rounds per drum with spare drums that can be stored on waist armor racks.
- Heat Hawk
- An axe-shaped close combat weapon, it uses a super-heated blade to cut through the armor of enemy MS or vehicles. The thermal energy is generated by the power output of the Zaku II's thermonuclear reactor and relayed through the MS' hands.
- H&L-SB25K/280mmA-P Zaku Bazooka
- The 280mm Zaku Bazooka was another standard weapon that could be equipped to a Zaku type mobile suit. The bazooka fired explosive rounds that were quite effective against the armor of Earth Federation mobile suits and battleships.
Notes & Trivia
- The Zaku Minelayer made its animated debut in Gundam Build Divers Prologue.