The MS-06FZ Zaku II Kai (ザク II 改) is one of several variants of the MS-06 Zaku II line of Mobile Suits. It was first seen in Mobile Suit Gundam 0080: War in the Pocket and was piloted by Bernard Wiseman.
Technology & Combat Characteristics
The Zaku II was one of the second-phase production MS that have been improved by the United Maintenance Plan. The performance of the Zaku II itself has begun to deteriorate due to the appearance of Federation MS and the development of new models by its own forces, so it has been tuned up by feeding back data from new models. In addition, based on the results of the renovation of the MS-06F2 Zaku II F2 Type, the shape and materials of the armor and the balance of the machine were more thoroughly reviewed, resulting in an appearance that is quite different from the previous Zaku II F-Type.
The most significant modification was to the cockpit, which is said to have been so good that even new recruits with insufficient training could handle it. In addition, the apogee motors in various parts of the fuselage and the thrusters in the backpack were increased and made larger, and the total thrust was increased by 70 percent compared to the previous F-Type model. On the other hand, the total amount of propellant had not changed, and the time limit at maximum combat thrust has dropped by half. The armor has also been considerably strengthened and the armament has been redesigned, so it does not lag behind the Federation's RGM-79 GM and has achieved considerable high performance. It also had the option of two different "helmet" designs. The "A-Type" helmet, which was the more common design, was similar to the typical helmet of the Zaku II series. The "B-Type" helmet was modeled after the Stahlhelm helmet used by the German army in World War II.
Rolled out one month before the end of the war, this machine is the final production model of the Zaku in the One Year War, but the number produced was small. It was only used by some units of the Space Fleet (especially the units made up of school soldiers and new recruits), and never landed on Earth, and it participated in few actual battles.
- Shoulder Shield
- Mounted on the right shoulder, it is a simple defense used to block most incoming physical projectiles.
- Hand Grenade
- Stored on the right hip of the Zaku for convenient access are three hand grenades. These grenades were more compact than the "cracker" grenades used by the original Zaku. While not very powerful or accurate, they're capable of performing different roles in the battle.
- MMP-80 90mm Machine Gun
- A small caliber machine gun for mobile suits developed under the United Maintenance Plan. The overall shape and mechanism of the Zaku Machine Gun, which was previously deployed, has been changed. The magazine has been changed from a drum magazine to a box magazine, and a 197mm grenade launcher is available as an option. The caliber has been reduced to 90mm, but as a result, the hit rate has improved, and the 90mm shell used is also excellent in initial velocity and anti-MS firepower. The number of bullets loaded is 32 in the standard single magazine and 100 in the triple magazine. The late production model features a different barrel and hand guard, resulting in a more compact shape.
- M-120A1 120mm Machine Gun
- The same portable firearm used by the Zaku II F-Type. It can switch between semi-automatic and automatic fire. Although useless against Luna Titanium Alloy, it can still destroy weaker armor material with multiple shots. It fires 120mm caliber rounds that are stored in a 100-rounds drum magazine.
- H&L-SB25K/280mmA-P Zaku Bazooka
- A portable, physical projectile-type firearm. It is primarily for anti-ship combat and displays its power in hit and run attacks. It can also be used against enemy mobile suits, but it is harder to hit a constantly moving target.
- A simplified, disposable rocket launcher. It is commonly used by Zeon mobile suits in the late stages of the One Year War. As the warhead is not equipped with a guidance device, it is extremely hard to use the Sturm Faust to hit a moving target accurately. However, it is still a highly destructive portable weapon.
- Heat Hawk
- An axe-shaped close combat weapon, it uses a super-heated blade to cut through the armor of enemy MS or vehicles. The thermal energy is generated by the power output of the Zaku II's thermonuclear reactor and relayed through the MS' hands. The Heat Hawk used by Zaku II Kai is modified with an extendable handle.
- Heat Sword Type-βIV
- A melee weapon originally developed for the MS-07B Gouf. Like the Zaku's heat tomahawk, the heat sword has a blade that is heated to high temperatures to increase its cutting capacity.
- A piece of equipment that increases the Zaku II's defensive capability, it is mounted on the left forearm and/or handheld.
The most famous Zaku II Kai appears in Mobile Suit Gundam 0080: War in the Pocket, which is piloted by Bernard Wiseman. He effectively uses his machine to critically damage the considerably superior RX-78NT-1 Gundam "Alex", albeit at the cost of his own life. The Zaku II Kai with the B-type helm was also the main unit of the Capitol Defense Battalion stationed in Zum City later in the war, while another unit was also piloted by Liberio Lincke of Zeon's regiment the Marchosias.
Years later, in U.C. 0096, one unit kept by the Zeon remnant forces participated in the attack on Torrington Base, where it was destroyed along with most of the attacking forces.
Notes and Trivia
- Because its pilot shares the main protagonist role with Christina Mackenzie, the Zaku II Kai is uniquely featured in promotional art and special renders in the Gundam VS series alongside the Gundams, in some of them even replacing the NT-1.
- The Zaku II Kai is featured in the Extreme Vs. series being piloted by Bernard Wiseman. The Zaku retains its primary weapons; its machine gun, Sturm Faust, grenades and heat axe. As part of its weaponry, Bernard can also plant explosive Santa balloons that will stun any foe trying to rush into the Zaku or to distract enemy support units. As the grenades do not explode on contact and detonate after a prolonged period of time, Bernard can manually detonate the grenades and Santa balloons himself. To compliment his kit, Bernard can also summon a pair of MSM-03C Hygogg to either shoot their beam cannons or their hand missiles. By Extreme Vs. 2, the Hygogg assist was replaced with Mikhail Kaminsky's MS-18E Kämpfer firing its bazooka. For its burst attack, the Zaku II Kai would create a firewall with a quick grenade combination. In Extreme Vs. 2, this burst attack was relegated to one of the Zaku's charged attacks, and its new burst attack involves it performing a melee combo with the heat axe instead.
|Mobile Suit Gundam 0080 Mechanics|
|Earth Federation Forces|
RGM-79D GM Cold Districts Type | RGM-79G GM Command | RGM-79GS GM Command Space Type | RGM-79SP GM Sniper II | RX-77D Guncannon Mass Production Type | RX-78NT-1 Gundam "Alex"
Cold District Use APC
|Transporter / Supply Ship|
63 STS "Ginga" | C-88 Medea
|Cruiser / Mother Ship|
LMSD-76 Gray Phantom
|Principality of Zeon|
MS-06FZ Zaku II Kai | MS-09R-2 Rick Dom II | MS-14Jg Gelgoog Jäger | MS-18E Kämpfer | MSM-03C Hygogg | MSM-07E Z'Gok-E
|Ship / Submarine|
|Transporter / Supply Ship|
|Cruiser / Mother Ship|
Musai-class Final Production Type | Tivvay-class
RH-35E Riah 35 Draken-E