Technology & Combat Characteristics
The MS-06FS was similar to the standard MS-06F Zaku II, but was equipped with four vulcan guns mounted in the head for increased effectiveness in close combat. Before the MS-06S Zaku II Commander Type was developed, the MS-06FS Zaku II was assigned to unit commanders and squads whose main duties included close-combat missions. Although some units were known to carry a larger version of the heat hawk, this may have just been a custom feature used by certain pilots, as others were seen with the standard version.
- 30mm Vulcan Gun
- The Zaku II FS was equipped with four 30mm head-mounted vulcan guns. These shell firing guns have a high rate of fire but little power, and can't damage the thick armor of a mobile suit. However, they can damage lightly armored areas such as the sensors and are ideal for shooting down small, lightly armored targets such as missiles, attack vehicles, etc. Eric Manthfield's Zaku II FS retained only two head vulcans in order to increase ammunition capacity.
- Shoulder Shield
- Mounted on the right shoulder, it is a simple defense used to block most incoming ballistic and explosive projectiles.
- 120mm Machine Gun
- A standard weapon for Zaku type mobile suits. It is a shell firing gun that does not require energy to be used, however its effectiveness against heavy armor is very limited. It holds 100 rounds per drum with spare drums that can be stored on waist armor racks.
- MMP-80/90mm Ver.8 Machine Gun
- An alternative to the 120mm Machine Gun. It used 90mm bullets instead of 120mm type, allowing for a greater firing speed and better penetration capabilities.
- H&L-SB25K/280mmA-P Zaku Bazooka
- The 280mm Zaku Bazooka was another standard weapon that could be equipped to a Zaku type mobile suit. The bazooka fired explosive rounds that were quite effective against the armor of Earth Federation mobile suits and battleships. Can be stored on the rear waist armor when not in use.
- Heat Hawk
- An axe-shaped close combat weapon, it uses a super-heated blade to cut through the armor of enemy MS or vehicles. The thermal energy is generated by the power output of the Zaku II's thermonuclear reactor and relayed through the MS' hands. Garma's Zaku II FS features a customized heat hawk with bigger handle and wider heat blade.
- ZIM/M·T-K175C 175mm Recoilless Rifle
- The main gun of the HT-01B Magella Attack main battle tank, it is remodeled as an MS artillery weapon. It is mainly used for long distance attacks in ground combat, and can be loaded with HEAT or APFSDS rounds.
- MIP-B6 Cracker Grenade
- Identical to those used by infantry, the cracker grenade is an explosive weapons designed to be thrown or launched by the MS and detonate after a set amount of time. The "cracker" breaks into several smaller munitions over a wide area. The Zaku II can optionally equip up to four cracker grenades, that are stored on the left and right waist armor racks, with two on each side.
- Sturm Faust
- A simplified, disposable rocket launcher. As the warhead is not equipped with a guidance device, it is extremely hard to use the Sturm Faust to hit a moving target accurately. However, it is still a highly destructive portable weapon.
- 120mm Assault Rifle
- A new model assault rifle that appears to be an upgrade of the MMP-78 machine gun.
- Large Heat Hawk
- A larger version of the standard heat hawk, similar to the one used by the MS-06F Zaku II Dozle Zabi Custom, albeit smaller. It uses a super-heated blade to cut through the armor of enemy MS or vehicles.
When Garma Zabi was assigned to Earth, he brought his FS-Type Zaku II with him, however he rarely sortied with it after being assigned to a leadership role. Ace pilots Gabby Hazard and Eric Manthfield also piloted these machines. Garma's unit was eventually piloted by Zeon's agent Tara I. Cicero during the events in Mobile Suit Gundam: We're Federation Hooligans!!. It was last seen being exhibited in New York for the 10th Anniversary of Liberation in U.C. 0090.
- ↑ MSV Handbook Reprint Edition, page 92