The MS-06FS Zaku II (aka Zaku II FS, Zaku II Type FS) is one of many variants of the MS-06F Zaku II created by the Principality of Zeon during the One Year War. One of these was the personal unit of Garma Zabi.
Technology & Combat Characteristics
A minor change version of the Zaku II F-Type, the Zaku II FS is a high-end model with enhanced close combat capabilities and added vulcan guns on its head. In addition, its communication functions have been enhanced with a blade antenna as standard equipment. Like the Zaku II S-Type that was introduced later, the Zaku II FS has high operability in space and on earth. The Zaku II FS is manufactured on the same production line as the Zaku II F-Type, and in many cases, a well-made F-type was selected as the base machine. It is produced in extremely small numbers, and mainly assigned to pilots in high position such as Garma Zabi, commanders (before the introduction of Zaku II S-Type), as well as to mobile suit teams that focused on close combat. Besides being used for combat, the Zaku II FS was also used in ceremonies.
- Vulcan Gun
- The Zaku II FS has four Vulcan guns in its head, two on each side, which is rare for the Zaku series. These shell-firing armament are used for restricting enemy's movements, creating a barrage, intercepting missiles, etc. However, due to limited storage space for the ammunitions, these vulcan guns can only fire continuously for about 10 seconds. Eric Manthfield's Zaku II FS retained only the top two guns, with the bottom two guns sealed off to increase ammunition capacity. Depending on sources, the caliber of the Vulcan guns are said to be 30mm or 40mm.
- Shoulder Shield
- A large composite armored shield on the Zaku II's right shoulder. When the machine is in the optimal attack posture, where the frontal projected area is the smallest, the corners of the shield are in front, maximizing the defensive area and forming sloped armor to reduce damage from ricochets.
- M-120A1 120mm Machine Gun
- A standard firearm for Zaku type MS. It has a large drum magazine located at the top, and features a scope and foregrip to enable highly accurate shooting. It can switch modes between single-fire and automatic fire. Although useless against Luna Titanium Alloy, it can still destroy weaker armor material with multiple shots.
- MMP-80 90mm Machine Gun
- A small caliber machine gun for mobile suits developed under the United Maintenance Plan. The overall shape and mechanism of the Zaku Machine Gun, which was previously deployed, has been changed. The magazine has been changed from a drum magazine to a box magazine, and a 197mm grenade launcher is available as an option. The caliber has been reduced to 90mm, but as a result, the hit rate has improved, and the 90mm shell used is also excellent in initial velocity and anti-MS firepower. The number of bullets loaded is 32 in the standard single magazine and 100 in the triple magazine. The late production model features a different barrel and hand guard, resulting in a more compact shape.
- H&L-SB25K/280mmA-P Zaku Bazooka
- A portable, physical projectile-type firearm. It is primarily for anti-ship combat and displays its power in hit and run attacks. It can also be used against enemy mobile suits, but it is harder to hit a constantly moving target. Can be stored on the rear waist armor when not in use.
- Heat Hawk
- An axe-shaped close combat weapon, it uses a super-heated blade to cut through the armor of enemy MS or vehicles. The thermal energy is generated by the power output of the Zaku II's thermonuclear reactor and relayed through the MS' hands.
- ZIM/M·T-K175C 175mm Recoilless Rifle
- The main gun of the HT-01B Magella Attack main battle tank, it is remodeled as an MS artillery weapon. It is mainly used for long distance attacks in ground combat, and can be loaded with HEAT or APFSDS rounds.
- MIP-B6 Cracker Grenade
- A multi-warhead grenade. After being thrown at the target, the six protrusions on the cracker's body explode in different directions, dealing damage over a wide area. A flash-type variant also exist, which can temporarily paralyze the sensors of enemy MS.
- Sturm Faust
- A simplified, disposable rocket launcher. As the warhead is not equipped with a guidance device, it is extremely hard to use the Sturm Faust to hit a moving target accurately. However, it is still a highly destructive portable weapon.
- Hand Grenade
- A throwing weapon that can be set to detonate upon impact with the target or timed to explode after a preset time. They come in multiple variants, allowing them to perform different roles in battle.
- 120mm Assault Rifle
- A new model assault rifle that appears to be an upgrade of the MMP-78 machine gun.
- The same defensive armament as used by the MS-07B Gouf. Its main purpose is to defend in close combat rather than at long range.
- Large Heat Hawk
- A heat weapon for close combat. The blade is larger than that of the standard model used by the Zaku II. Garma Zabi's machine equipped a custom model. During the events of MSV-R: The Fabulous Shin Matsunaga, Shin Matsunaga's unit is equipped with the same model as used by Dozle Zabi's customized Zaku II.
Special Equipment & Features
- Rocket Booster
- A rocket booster for auxiliary propulsion attached to each side of the backpack, and is used for high-altitude jumps under gravity. This is the same equipment as used by the MS-06F2 Zaku II F2 Type.
When Garma Zabi was assigned to Earth, he brought his customized Zaku II FS-Type with him, however he rarely sortied with it after being assigned to a leadership role. Ace pilots Gabby Hazard, Eric Manthfield and Shin Matsunaga also piloted these machines. Garma's unit was eventually piloted by Zeon's agent Tara I. Cicero during the events in Mobile Suit Gundam: We're Federation Hooligans!!. It was last seen being exhibited in New York for the 10th Anniversary of Liberation in U.C. 0090.
Notes & Trivia
- In Gundam Breaker Mobile, the "Deadend G" Large Heat Hawk from the GPB-06F Super Custom Zaku F2000 serves as one of the unit's melee armaments.
- History of Mobile Suit, page 13
- Mobile suit Bible Vol. 41