Technology & Combat Characteristics
The MS-06FS was similar to the standard MS-06F Zaku II, but was equipped with four vulcan guns mounted in the head for increased effectiveness in close combat. Before the MS-06S Zaku II Commander Type was developed, the MS-06FS Zaku II was assigned to unit commanders and squads whose main duties included close-combat missions. Although some units were known to carry a larger version of the heat hawk, this may have just been a custom feature used by certain pilots, as others were seen with the standard version.
- 30mm Vulcan Gun
- Mounted in the head, these four shell-firing guns are not very powerful and typically used for intercepting missiles, destroying mobile suit sensors and the likes. Eric Manthfield's Zaku II FS retained only two head vulcans in order to increase ammunition capacity.
- Shoulder Shield
- Mounted on the right shoulder, it is a simple defense used to block most incoming ballistic and explosive projectiles.
- M-120A1 120mm Machine Gun
- Also referred to as a "rifle" by Zeon soldiers, Zeonic was contracted to develop this weapon. Its internal development code is "ZMC38III". It can switch between semi-automatic and automatic fire. Although useless against Luna Titanium Alloy, it can still destroy weaker armor material with multiple shots. It holds 100 rounds per drum with spare drums that can be stored on waist armor racks.
- MMP-80 90mm Machine Gun
- A small caliber machine gun for mobile suits developed under the United Maintenance Plan. The overall shape and mechanism of the Zaku Machine Gun, which was previously deployed, has been changed. The magazine has been changed from a drum magazine to a box magazine, and a 197mm grenade launcher is available as an option. The caliber has been reduced to 90mm, but as a result, the hit rate has improved, and the 90mm shell used is also excellent in initial velocity and anti-MS firepower. The number of bullets loaded is 32 in the standard single magazine and 100 in the triple magazine. The late production model features a different barrel and hand guard, resulting in a more compact shape.
- H&L-SB25K/280mmA-P Zaku Bazooka
- A portable, physical projectile-type firearm. It is primarily for anti-ship combat and displays its power in hit and run attacks. It can also be used against enemy mobile suits, but it is harder to hit a constantly moving target. Can be stored on the rear waist armor when not in use.
- Heat Hawk
- An axe-shaped close combat weapon, it uses a super-heated blade to cut through the armor of enemy MS or vehicles. The thermal energy is generated by the power output of the Zaku II's thermonuclear reactor and relayed through the MS' hands. Garma's Zaku II FS features a customized heat hawk with bigger handle and wider heat blade.
- ZIM/M·T-K175C 175mm Recoilless Rifle
- The main gun of the HT-01B Magella Attack main battle tank, it is remodeled as an MS artillery weapon. It is mainly used for long distance attacks in ground combat, and can be loaded with HEAT or APFSDS rounds.
- MIP-B6 Cracker Grenade
- Identical to those used by infantry, the cracker grenade is an explosive weapons designed to be thrown or launched by the MS and detonate after a set amount of time. The "cracker" breaks into several smaller munitions over a wide area. A flash-type variant also exist, which it used to temporarily paralyze the sensors of enemy MS. The Zaku II can optionally equip up to four cracker grenades, that are stored on the left and right waist armor racks, with two on each side.
- Sturm Faust
- A simplified, disposable rocket launcher. As the warhead is not equipped with a guidance device, it is extremely hard to use the Sturm Faust to hit a moving target accurately. However, it is still a highly destructive portable weapon.
- 120mm Assault Rifle
- A new model assault rifle that appears to be an upgrade of the MMP-78 machine gun.
- Large Heat Hawk
- A larger version of the standard heat hawk, similar to the one used by the MS-06F Zaku II Dozle Zabi Custom, albeit smaller. It uses a super-heated blade to cut through the armor of enemy MS or vehicles.
When Garma Zabi was assigned to Earth, he brought his FS-Type Zaku II with him, however he rarely sortied with it after being assigned to a leadership role. Ace pilots Gabby Hazard and Eric Manthfield also piloted these machines. Garma's unit was eventually piloted by Zeon's agent Tara I. Cicero during the events in Mobile Suit Gundam: We're Federation Hooligans!!. It was last seen being exhibited in New York for the 10th Anniversary of Liberation in U.C. 0090.
- MSV Handbook Reprint Edition, page 92