|Please note that this is the Gundam Wiki's article on the mobile suit introduced in MSV; if you are looking for the article on its counterpart from Mobile Suit Gundam: The Origin then you should head to MS-06C Zaku II.|
Technology & Combat Characteristics
The MS-06C Zaku II Early Production Type was the successor to the MS-06A Zaku II First Mass Production Type. Deemed a success, the suit was put into mass production for the Zeon Military Forces. It was deployed in January U.C. 0078 and was the Zeon's main mobile suit at the outbreak of the One Year War. The C-Type, and later Zaku and non-Zaku mobile suits, typically used a 120mm drum-fed machine gun or a 280mm bazooka. These Zaku II's were later upgraded in the following years. The first major redesign came with the F-type, including the ground combat variant, the MS-06J Zaku II Ground Type.
- Shoulder Shield
- Mounted on the right shoulder, it is a simple defense used to block most physical projectiles.
- 120mm Machine Gun
- A standard weapon for Zaku type mobile suits. It is a shell firing gun that does not require energy to be used, however its effectiveness against heavy armor is very limited. It holds 100 rounds per drum with spare drums that can be stored on waist armor racks.
- H&L-SB25K/280mmA-P Zaku Bazooka
- The 280mm Zaku Bazooka was another weapon that could be equipped to a Zaku type mobile suit and it fires explosive rounds. It is primarily for anti-ship combat and displays its power in hit and run attacks. It can also be used against enemy mobile suits, but it is harder to hit a constantly moving target. During the Battle of Loum, many of the bazookas were loaded with nuclear warheads.
- Heat Hawk
- An axe-shaped close combat weapon, it uses a super-heated blade to cut through the armor of enemy MS or vehicles. The thermal energy is generated by the power output of the Zaku II's thermonuclear reactor and relayed through the MS' hands.
Special Equipment & Features
- Radiation Shielding
- Since the MS-06C is supposed to be used in a nuclear attack, radiation shielding liquid is injected into the back of the triple composite armor around the cockpit. After the Antarctic Treaty however, this equipment was determined to be deadweight, so it was excluded in the mass-produced (F-type) and all future Zaku variants produced during the rest of One Year War.
Several pilots became famous for their actions inside the cockpit of the MS-06C Zaku II. In the Battle of Loum, Lieutenant Junior Grade Char Aznable destroyed 5 of the Earth Federation's Magellan-class battleships in his red-painted C-Type Zaku II, earning him the nickname "Red Comet". The Black Tri-Stars: Gaia, Ortega, and Mash, used their C-Type Zaku II's to capture General Revil after crippling his Magellan-class Battleship Ananke during the Battle of Loum. Chief Petty Officer Johnny Ridden, earned his nickname "Crimson Lighting" after sinking 3 Magellan-class. Lastly, The "White Wolf of Solomon" Private 1st Class Shin Matsunaga was promoted to Lieutenant Junior Grade after destroying a Magellan-class and 5 Salamis-class cruisers. Some other officers of Zeon have their own personal Zaku II custom unit. However, others became infamous, with one such pilot being Cima Garahau during Zeon's colony gassing attacks.
Notes and Trivia