The MS-05S Zaku I Commander Type is a mobile suit introduced in Mobile Suit Gundam: Zeonic Front.
Technology & Combat Characteristics
The MS-05S is a hastily modified version of the Zaku I that was supposed to be sent to the rear, such as a guidance maneuver battalion or supply unit, to fill the gaps left by the Zaku II, which was produced and deployed later than originally planned. The head is equipped with a blade antenna, and a round shoulder armor is added to the right shoulder. In consideration of cooperation with the Zaku II, leg verniers were added to compensate for the difference in thrust, and a large-capacity backpack was also equipped. Furthermore, its offensive and defensive performance has been improved with various additional equipment.
- ZMP-47D 105mm Machine Gun
- A standard firearm for Zaku type MS, this model is the initial type of machine gun used by the Zaku series. A 100-round drum magazine is mounted on the right side vertically.
- M-120A1 120mm Machine Gun
- The same portable firearm used by the Zaku II. It can switch between semi-automatic and automatic fire. Although useless against Luna Titanium Alloy, it can still destroy weaker armor material with multiple shots. It fires 120mm caliber rounds that are stored in a 100-rounds drum magazine.
- MMP-80 90mm Machine Gun
- A small caliber machine gun for mobile suits developed under the United Maintenance Plan. The overall shape and mechanism of the Zaku Machine Gun, which was previously deployed, has been changed. The magazine has been changed from a drum magazine to a box magazine, and a 197mm grenade launcher is available as an option. The caliber has been reduced to 90mm, but as a result, the hit rate has improved, and the 90mm shell used is also excellent in initial velocity and anti-MS firepower. The number of bullets loaded is 32 in the standard single magazine and 100 in the triple magazine. The late production model features a different barrel and hand guard, resulting in a more compact shape.
- H&L-SB25K/280mmA-P Zaku Bazooka
- A portable, physical projectile-type firearm. It is primarily for anti-ship combat and displays its power in hit and run attacks. It can also be used against enemy mobile suits, but it is harder to hit a constantly moving target
- Heat Hawk
- An axe-like melee weapon, whose name is short for "tomahawk". Thermal energy is used to superheat the heat hawk's blade, allowing it to slice through the armor of enemy warships or mobile suits.
- ZIM/M·T-K175C 175mm Recoilless Rifle
- The main gun of the HT-01B Magella Attack main battle tank, it is remodeled as an MS artillery weapon. The Top Cannon was mainly used for long distance ground combat and can be loaded with HEAT or APFSDS rounds.
- MIP-B6 Cracker Grenade
- Identical to those used by infantry, the cracker grenade is an explosive weapons designed to be thrown or launched by the MS and detonate after a set amount of time. The "cracker" breaks into several smaller munitions over a wide area.
- A simplified, disposable rocket launcher. As the warhead is not equipped with a guidance device, it is extremely hard to use the Sturm Faust to hit a moving target accurately. However, it is still a highly destructive portable weapon.
- 880mmRB-T27 Raketen Bazooka
- A new heavy bazooka which features powerful rocket-propelled rounds, and improved targeting sensor with protective cover for aiming. It is fed by a 5 rounds magazine.
- 90mm Assault Rifle
- A new model assault rifle that appears to be an upgrade of the MMP-80 machine gun.
- The same defensive armament as used by the MS-07B Gouf, it can be attached to the left forearm. Its main purpose is to defend in close combat rather than at long range. It also stores a melee weapon - the heat sword.
- Heat Sword Type-βIV
- A melee weapon originally developed for the Gouf. Like the Zaku's heat tomahawk, the heat sword has blade that is heated to high temperatures to increase its cutting capacity. The heat sword is sometimes referred to as heat saber.
- Knuckle Shield
- The knuckle shield is a modified Zaku II shoulder shield carried on the arm, with the curve of the armor fitting over the mobile suit's hand. One of the modifications is the additions of three spikes placed on the plate that rests in front of the hand. These spikes make the knuckle shield an effective bashing weapon.
This machine was the personal mobile suit of Maj. Gerhart Schmitzer, the founder and leader of the Midnight Fenrir Corps. Before the One Year War, Schmitzer was already a decorated mobile suit pilot, and in the opening days of the war proved himself as a soldier. However, during an attack on a facility in New Guinea to clear the way for the Operation British colony drop, Schmitzer was severely wounded in action when a booby-trapped railgun facility blew up. Schmitzer survived, though his injuries prevented him from returning to active combat duty. Despite this handicap, Schmitzer persuaded Kycilia Zabi to create the Midnight Fenrir Corps. Migaki, who was the head of the maintenance team, modified a Zaku I that had been deployed in Fenrir's unit for work purposes. An acoustic sensor was added for Schmitzer, who has an sequela on his optic nerve. Aboard this machine, he defeated the far superior RX-78-6 Mudrock Gundam of the Earth Federation Forces, becoming the first pilot in history to defeat a Gundam with a Zaku.
Notes and Trivia
- To obtain the Gerhart (referred to as "Garret") Schmitzer's custom of the Zaku I Commander Type at Gundam Breaker Mobile, the parts (including the pilot) can be purchased at the Arena Coin Shop exchange, and each part requires a combination of twelve total parts per body and weapons.
|Mobile Suit Gundam Side Stories Series Original Mechanics|
RGM-79BD-0 Blue Destiny Unit 0 | RGM-79DO GM Dominance | RGM-79DO［AQ］ GM Dominance (Underwater Equipment) | RGM-79FD Armored GM | RX-78XX Gundam Pixy | RX-79［G］ SW Slave Wraith | RX-79［G］WR Full Armor Slave Wraith | RX-79BD-1 Blue Destiny Unit 1 | RX-79BD-2 Blue Destiny Unit 2 | RX-79BD-3 Blue Destiny Unit 3 | RX-80PR Pale Rider | RX-80PR-2 Pale Rider Cavalry | RX-80PR-3 Pale Rider Dullahan
|Cruiser / Mother Ship|
SCV-73 Blanc Rival | SCVA-72 Thoroughbred
|Principality of Zeon|
MS-05S Zaku I Commander Type | MS-05B Zaku I Land Warfare Type | MS-08TX Efreet | MS-08TX(EXAM) Efreet Custom | MS-09F Dom Funf | MS-14G Gelgoog Ground Type | RX-79BD-2 Blue Destiny Unit 2 | RX-80PR Pale Rider | YMS-06Z Psycommu Early Test Type Zaku