Technology & Combat Characteristics
The Principality of Zeon forces had been anticipating a war of independence and thus made their preparations for the outbreak of war by mass-producing the MS-05 Zaku I. However, a few ideas for revisions were suggested based on mobility test data. The new equipment for these suits were then intended for use by the improved MS-06 Zaku II that was being developed at a rapid pace. However, since the One Year War, broke out just before the MS-06 Zaku II entered full-scale mass production, individual MS-05 Zaku I units were fitted with MS-06 Zaku II equipment and deployed in battle as a special type. One of these served as Char's personal machine.
- A new type of shield mounted on the right shoulder was developed, which could protect the machine over a wider area.
- Left Shoulder Armor
- The mobile suit was designed to carry out ramming attacks using the armor attached to its left shoulder with spikes installed for increased damage.
- Machine Gun
- A standard armament of Zaku-type mobile suits. A shell-firing machine gun, this version uses a drum magazine.
- Type A1 Zaku Bazooka
- Another standard weapon for Zaku-type mobile suits. It fires explosive rounds and can be stored on the rear waist armor.
- Belt-Fed Machine Gun
- A variation of the standard machine gun, it uses a belt-fed ammunition system that utilizes a feed mechanism mounted on the mobile suit's back. As a result, it allows for a higher ammunition count than the drum magazine type.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 MECHANICAL|MOBILE SUIT GUNDAM THE ORIGIN, Autonomous Republic of Zeon: MS-05S Char's Zaku I (Archived)