The MS-05L Zaku I Sniper is a variant of the MS-05B Zaku I. It first appeared as a part of Harmony of Gundam variations design by Hajime Katoki, but was also featured in Mobile Suit Gundam Unicorn and Model Suit Gunpla Builders Beginning G.
Technology & Combat Characteristics
The MS-05L Zaku I Sniper Type is a MS-05B Zaku I reequipped for sniping purposes. Over the normal type, this mobile suit has an improved mono-eye sensor and redesigned head for better visibility and durability. The MS-05L Zaku I Sniper Type is installed with the same type of camera lenses as the MS-06E Zaku Reconnaissance Type but revised for higher magnification zoom. The improved sensors come with night and thermal vision to meet the needs of complex shooting conditions. An antenna has been installed on the head allowing for short-range wireless communication as well as for detecting the surrounding environment parameters, such as the degree of atmospheric scattering at different times, the air specific heat, and even wind speed and dust content. These parameters will be transferred to the MS-05L Zaku Sniper Type OS environment specific calculation module, which will enable the pilot to take the most accurate shot possible. For powering its beam sniper rifle, it is outfitted with an external auxiliary reactor with a rated output of 700 kW. The right knee has a collapsible strut for increased targeting and firing stability. Other weaponry include head vulcans and a sturm faust.
- 60mm Vulcan Gun
- A standard armament for many mobile suits are a pair of head mounted vulcan guns. These shell firing weapons have a high-rate of fire but have little power and can't damage the thick armor of a mobile suit, though it can damage lightly armored areas such as the sensors. The weapons are ideal for shooting down small, fast moving, lightly armored targets such as missiles, small land vehicles, and attack helicopters.
- MIP-X79-E0-type BSR (Beam Sniper Rifle)
- Musai-class beam rifle with a built in Beam oscillation device and electronic targeting equipment. Yonem Kirks' personal Sniper Type unit carries a rifle modified for rapid fire capability. Because this custom beam rifle's high output quickly overheated its barrel, it was fitted with a quick-change barrel.
- Sturm Faust
- An explosive weapon with a rocket propelled warhead, it was designed before the beginning of the One Year War as an anti-ship weapon. Useful both in space and under gravity, it was mainly deployed for anti-ship attacks during the early days of the war. The Sturm Faust likely made a good anti-mobile suit weapon during the latter days of the war, as Zeon mobile suits could be equipped with both a Sturm Faust and a more typical ranged weapon for greater versatility. As a non-guided weapon, it is difficult to hit targets with high mobility. Can be stored on waist armor storage racks.
Special Equipment & Features
- External Auxiliary Reactor
- As the original Zaku I's reactor was found insufficient to power the beam sniper rifle, the Zaku I Sniper Type is outfitted with a 700 kW external auxiliary reactor.
- Leg Knee Pad
- The Zaku I Sniper Type's right leg knee pad is unique in that when the mobile suit kneels down into firing position, the knee pad extends outward so as to stabilize the mobile suit not unlike a monopod on a rifle.
- Improved Mono-Eye Sensors
- To increase the effectiveness of the Zaku I Sniper Type, its sensors have undergone improvement over the standard Zaku I. It possesses night and thermal vision, as well as a variant of the sensors from the Zaku Reconnaissance Type modified to increase the zoom function.
Harmony of Gundam
Towards the conclusion of the One Year War, supply shortages forced the Principality of Zeon to deploy old, refurbished mobile suits in battle. Most MS-05 Zaku I variants returned to service without significant changes, but some units were refitted to be Sniper Type units.
Mobile Suit Gundam Unicorn
One Zaku I Sniper Type is seen used in UC 0096, piloted by the Zeon remnants leader Yonem Kirks during their attack on Torrington Base. The Zaku I Sniper Type supported the Zeon remnant forces on the ground from the air inside a Fat Uncle. Despite being nearly two-decades old by UC 0096, it still proved to be quite effective, taking out multiple modern Federation units. It was later destroyed by Londo Bell's Tri-Stars team in their Jesta's after Kirks tried to set off the Zaku I Sniper Type's external auxillary reactor.
Model Suit Gunpla Builders Beginning G
In the series Model Suit Gunpla Builders Beginning G, the MS-05L Zaku I Sniper Type is the Gunpla model used by one of Koji Matsumoto's teammates and participates in the 3 on 3 battle against Haru Irei's team.
Notes and Trivia
|Harmony of Gundam Mechanics|
RAG-79 Aqua GM | RGM-79FP GM Striker | RX-78GP02A Gundam GP02A (Type-MLRS)
|Principality of Zeon/Delaz Fleet|
| Mobile Suit|
MS-05L Zaku I Sniper Type | MS-06V Zaku Tank Cannon Type | MS-09K-1 Dom Cannon | MS-09K-2 Dom Cannon | RX-78GP02A Gundam GP02A Beam Bazooka Type