Technology & Combat Characteristics
The Zaku I was the world's first nuclear-powered MS to achieve combat status in the UC timeline. The Zaku I was developed from the MS-04 Prototype Zaku, and featured technologies that would become standard in all mobile suits. It ran on a thermonuclear reactor developed and manufactured by the ZAS company that provided the Zaku I with an unlimited power source. The reactor was cooled by stored liquid hydrogen during missions in space, and an air-cooled system when operating on Earth. The Zaku I used the head-mounted mono-eye camera system, which was used in conjunction with several cameras mounted around the mobile suit's body and granted the pilot excellent visibility from the enclosed cockpit. The Zaku I also incorporated laser sensors, infra-red sensors, and a powerful computer to facilitate the MS's operation.
- ZMP-47D 105mm Machine Gun
- A standard weapon for Zaku type MS, this model is the initial type of machine gun used by the Zaku series. A 100-round drum magazine is mounted on the right side vertically.
- Initial Type Bazooka
- An early design of the bazooka, which featured a block ammo cartridge and a single exhaust port.
- 280mm Zaku Bazooka
- A portable, physical projectile-type firearm. It is primarily for anti-ship combat and displays its power in hit and run attacks. It can also be used against enemy mobile suits, but it is harder to hit a constantly moving target.
- Heat Hawk
- An axe-like melee weapon, whose name is short for "tomahawk". Thermal energy is used to superheat the heat hawk's blade, allowing it to slice through the armor of enemy warships or mobile suits.
- A pump-action shotgun, it is of the same type as the one used by the MS-18E Kämpfer.
- Double Bazooka
- A combination of two 280mm Zaku Bazookas into a single weapon.
The Zaku I was first developed and built in U.C. 0074 as the YMS-05, with the design being selected for Zeon's "SUIT Project", and tested against the EMS-04 Zudah for a development contract. It wasn't put into mass-production until the following year, as the MS-05B Zaku I. The last production run of the MS-05B was in U.C. 0077, before it was replaced by the newer MS-06 Zaku II. Only 27 Zaku I Early Type units were produced. While the Zaku I series was no longer being mass-produced, it was not difficult to obtain one. Most Zaku Is were assigned to pilots that requested them, or to newly formed squadrons that were unable to obtain the best equipment available. More would be assigned to the Midnight Fenrir Corp teams.
The successful use of these suits prompted the Zeon Navy to commission ships that could carry them into combat, primarily the Musai-class. The Zaku I was rendered obsolete by the Zaku II before the beginning of the One Year War, and thus they were relegated for use in the rear lines as supply and construction suits. They still saw some action, though, as colony gassers in the One Week War and, towards the end of the war, they joined frontline combat to reinforce the Zeon's weakening military lines. Despite being an antiquated machine, it was still deployed in U.C. 0096 by the Zeon Remnants.