Technology & Combat Characteristics
Developed by the Earth Federation Forces' Murasame Newtype Lab as a Cyber Newtype-use machine, the Psycho Gundam also incorporated several concepts from the MSN-02 Zeong. At 40 meter tall, it is more than twice the size of a regular mobile suit. This is due to the sheer bulk of the Psycommu System, and the addition of features like a Minovsky Craft System, an anti-beam barrier as well as complex transformation mechanisms. Classified as a large Mobile Armor (MA), it can transform into a Mobile Armor mode known as "Mobile Fortress Mode" that is capable of atmospheric flight thanks to the Minovsky Craft System. Plans for a "Mobile Fortress" in the base defense role were drafted after the One Year War.
The Psycho Gundam is entirely controlled by the Psycommu System, and as it was designed to be used by Cyber Newtypes, it cannot be handled by normal humans as the psychological burden is tremendous and potentially fatal. The Psycho-Control System allows the pilot to control Psycho Gundam via remote operation when apart. Besides the superb defensive capabilities offered by the anti-beam barrier, the Psycho Gundam also has overwhelming offensive capabilities, and is armed with 3 diffuse beam cannons in its body, 10 beam cannons in its fingers, and 2 small mega beam cannon in the head. Two units were produced in total.
- Small Mega Beam Cannon
- Two small mega beam cannons are mounted in the center of the v-fin on the unit's head.
- Diffuse Mega Particle Cannon
- The Psycho Gundam has three diffuse mega particle cannons in the abdomen. They each emit multiple energy beams that can easily destroy an enemy unit in one shot.
- Beam Cannon
- The fingers of the Psycho Gundam each contain a beam cannon, for a total of 10 beam cannons. Each of these cannons is capable of doing serious damage.
- Used to protect the unit from ballistic and beam weapons. In Mobile Fortress mode, the shield splits in half and are placed on the lower sides, stabilizing the Minovsky Craft System.
Special Equipment & Features
- Anti-beam Barrier
- The Psycho Gundam is fitted with an anti-beam barrier for better protection against beam attacks.
- A Psycommu is a device connected directly into the user's thoughts, through which the user can manipulate it by using his/her mind. In essence, a psycommu system works by passively scanning the brainwaves of newtypes, amplifying them in order to send the brainwave signal out long distances, and then translating these brainwaves into raw machine codes upon being received by the selected object with limitations. Since brainwaves are not affected by the radio interference property of Minovsky particles, at first it was mainly used to mentally control remote weapons via Minovsky Communication, usually mounted with a single beam gun. This enabled the resurrection of BVR engagements, with bits and funnels being the first weapons able to engage targets without visual contact since the development of the Minovsky particle.
- Psycho-Control System
- Installed in the Psycho Gundam unit 2, it allows Four to control the unit externally via the Psycommu System.
- Minovsky Craft System
- To maintain mobility while in Mobile Fortress Mode, the Psycho Gundam is equipped with a Minovsky Craft System.
For more information on the Psycho Gundam's history, please go to Four Murasame's page.
Notes and Trivia
- The Psycho Gundam was originally known as "Psyco Gundam" in official merchandise. However, merchandise from the 2004 HGUC model kit onward corrected the name to "Psycho Gundam". Despite this, a few of the later merchandise (such as 2017 Gundam Converge Core EX figurine and 2018 HGUC Dijeh model kit manual) still refer to it using the old name.
- The Psycolo Gundam is a recurring gag unit from the SD Gundam G Generation series. Its name is a play on words with the Psycho Gundam's name and the Japanese word for dice (サイコロ Saikoro?). It is literally just the head of the Psycho Gundam placed on top of a white, mobile suit-sized six-sided die with the one pip as the forward-facing side. The one pip is large and painted red, which is traditional with Japanese dice, and it functions as a mega particle cannon. The other sides of the die are appropriately numbered with black pips which function as thrusters and missile launchers. Like other joke units in the series the Psycolo Gundam is very powerful.
- Apparently, a non-psycommu variant of the Psycho Gundam makes an appearance in Turn A Gundam novel adaption. It was piloted by Guin Sard Lineford, who called it Black Doll. It also shows up in SD Gundam G Generation WARS, on Turn A Gundam-mission 5, when the player triggers Wars Break 2. This Psycho Gundam is piloted by Guin, and has all the abilities of the original Psycho Gundam. A non-psycommu version of the Psycho Gundam piloted by Guin Sard Lineford also appears in Super Robot Wars Alpha Gaiden as a boss.
- In the game Mobile Suit Gundam: Gundam vs. Zeta Gundam, during Kamille Bidan's "Four Alive" Route in Universal Century Timeline mode, Four can be seen piloting the MRX-009 Psycho Gundam during the mission "Inside Rosamia," which takes place on the surface of Axis. This is the only time that the Psycho Gundam is piloted in space.
|∀ Gundam Mechanics|
AMX-109 Kapool | AMX-109 Kapool Corin Nander Custom | Armadillo | High Heel | MS-05 Borjarnon Gavane Goonny Custom | MS-06 Borjarnon | NRS-P701R Godwin | OZ-10VMSX Gundam Aesculapius | SYSTEM ∀-99 ∀ Gundam
Armored Car | Gun Emplacement Truck
Bull-One | Hipheavy
|Cruiser / Mother Ship|
CONCEPT-X 6-1-2 Turn X | FLAT-L06D FLAT | G-838 Mahiroo | G-M1F Bandit | G-M2F Zssan | JMA-0530 Walking Dome | MRC-F20 SUMO | MRC-F31 Muttowooo | MRC-U11D Walking Dumpling | NRS-P701 Gozzo | SPA-51 Cannon Illefuto | SYSTEM ∀-99 ∀ Gundam | TAF-M9 Eagail
MR-SPI05Ω"Jet Stream" | MRC-C03 Bellona
|Cruiser / Mother Ship|
Almaiya class | Aspite | Gendarme | Soleil