The Astray Mirage Frame 2nd Issue is a upgraded version of the MBF-05LM Gundam Astray Mirage Frame developed by the mysterious organization known as Librarian Works. The unit first appeared in the photo series Mobile Suit Gundam SEED VS Astray. It is piloted by Rondo Gina Sahaku.
Technology & Combat Characteristics
Originally existing only as simulation data, the Astray Mirage Frame 2nd Issue was not immediately manufactured due to its dangerous performance which even Coordinators could not handle. Gina could only pilot it after he had his body modified.
Astray Mirage Frame 2nd Issue retains some of MBF-05LM Gundam Astray Mirage Frame's armament, like the two head mounted "Igelstellung" 75mm multi-barrel CIWS, two beam sabers, beam rifle and the VPS equipped "Amenohabakili" katana. However, the Anklet and Bracelet Swords were replaced with "compact swords", sets of smaller claws-like sword, and two "Fin Rifles" and "Saber Fang" are added respectively to its shoulders and back.
Although the Mirage Frame Second Issue retains MBF-05LM Gundam Astray Mirage Frame's Mirage Colloid cloaking system, its transformation system has been altered. While it usually appears in Tyrant Mode, the Mirage Frame can switch to Brute Mode by transforming itself into a Beast-like Mobile Armor, similar to the ZGMF-X88S Gaia. In Brute mode, it's performance in battle is greatly strengthened and its speed is incredibly high, making it almost next to impossible to be hit by projectile weapon(s) and barely allows opponent(s) to counter attack. The attacks in this form is also known as "Brute Force Attack".
- Beam Rifle
- The Mirage Frame is also equipped with a standard beam rifle.
- "Ama-no-Habakiri" Katana
- A mobile suit-sized katana similar to the "Gerbera Straight" katana of the Red Frame. It is name after a magic blade of the same name in Japan. VPS is applied to this sword, allowing it to change its toughness and the ability to change colors. It also features data-gathering abilities, which are activated upon physical contact with an object. Information gathered from the cut object will directly affect the settings of the VPS, which will then be adjusted to guarantee a lethal blow with the next strike.
- Compact Swords
- The Compact Swords, or "C Sword" for short, is a pair of claws equipped on each of the knuckles (B-Type) and feet (A-Type) of the Mirage Frame 2nd Issue.
- Fin Rifles
- Powerful blades equipped on the shoulders that can be used as both close combat weapons as well as long ranged weapon. They contain a pair of powerful beam cannons and GAT-X252 Forbidden's Geschmeidig Panzer is applied on the fins, allowing the beam fired to curve. They are only usable in "Brute Mode".
- Saber Fang
- Usable only in "Brute Mode". A pair of powerful beam sabers equipped on the back of the Mirage Frame 2nd Issue, which becomes the head in "Brute Mode".
- As with the other Orb Astray prototype, the Mirage Frame is also equipped with head-mounted "Igelstellung" 75mm multi-barrel CIWS. The CIWS can however only be used in "Tyrant mode".
After the defeat by Gai's MBF-P03R Gundam Astray Blue Frame 2nd Revise, Gina ordered the upgrading of his MBF-05LM Gundam Astray Mirage Frame into the Astray Mirage Frame 2nd Issue. Gina also had his body modified by Librarian in order to pilot it. Astray Mirage Frame 2nd Issue's first battle was against the Nebula Blitz Gundams that was sent to stop Gina as his launch was unauthorised. The Nebula Blitz Gundams were helpless before the powerful "Brute Force Attack" and were easily defeated. Gina later met with ND HE who was send by Prayer to accompnay him. He subsequently figured out that ND HE was actually a Carbon Human clone of Gai and attacked him. The battle between Astray Mirage Frame 2nd Issue and Gale Strike fell into a stalemate as both sides were evenly matched. The match was later interrupted, first by Canard then by Gai. During the rematch with Gai, Astray Mirage Frame 2nd Issue's "Brute Force Attack" was useless as Gina fell for his mind trick and was not able to fight properly. After another defeat by Gai, Gina returned to the Librarian's base and had Astray Mirage Frame 2nd Issue upgraded into 3rd Issue.
- In Episode 5 Story: Frenzy, the image of Gai Murakumo's defeated Gundam Astray Blue Frame 2nd Revise by the Mirage Frame 2nd Issue was nothing more than Rondo Gina's imagination.
- The Brute Mode of the unit has some striking resemblance to the ZGMF-X88S Gaia Gundam and the TMF/A-802W2 Kerberos BuCUE Hound.