Technology & Combat CharacteristicsEdit
The experimental Elmeth mobile armor was produced by the Principality of Zeon's Flanagan Institute as a Newtype-use mobile armor. Among the Elmeth's capabilities were its Psycommu control system, which allowed a Newtype-pilot to control the 12 large "bit" remote weapons using brainwaves. The bits had their own on-board reactor and were also equipped with thrusters and a beam gun. With the bits, the Elmeth could attack targets over great distances and they were its primary weapon. The mobile armor also has two mega particle guns on its body and was a very fast unit. However, it lacks limbs to utilize AMBAC, and only maneuvers around using its main thrusters, thus making it unsuitable for direct combat.
- Mega Particle Gun
- The Elmeth is equipped with a pair of mega particle guns that are set on a track, allowing them to elevate and depress. Unlike the beam rifles of mobile suits, the mega particles used in these guns are generated from Elmeth's powerful Minovsky fusion reactor, allowing for unlimited ammunition.
- Bits are a type of remote weapon equipped with a rocket thruster, verniers, a power generator, a single beam gun, and a receptor designed to work with the Psycommu system. Their systems allow the bits to operate, attack and move independently of its carrier for an extended period of time. The Psycommu system allowed the bits to receive commands via psycowaves from the pilot, thus allowing for long-range control uninterrupted by Minovsky particles. When multiple bits attack at once from multiple angles, they can conduct all range attacks. The Elmeth is equipped with 12 bits, which are launched through a pair of hatches in the rear.
Special Equipment & FeaturesEdit
- Psycommu System
- During the One Year War, the researchers of the Flanagan Institute discover that Newtypes emit powerful thoughtwaves - similar to regular brainwaves, but not electrical in nature - which they call psycowaves. The institute then develop a mind-machine interface called the psycommu (psyco-communicator) system, which receives these thoughtwaves and translates them into computer commands. Using this interface, a Newtype pilot can direct remote weapons and operate huge mobile armors by thought alone.
The MAN-08 Elmeth was developed in U.C. 0079 under the orders of Rear Admiral Kycilia Zabi, who believed that Newtype research was key to defeat the Earth Federation Forces' advance. Developed and built by the Flanagan Institute, it was given to Newtype Lalah Sune under the command of Char Aznable, who was also her lover.
The mobile armor attacked the Earth Federation Forces' fleet stationed at the recently captured asteroid base Konpeitoh (the former Solomon). With its bits and the ability to strike nearly unseen, Lalah Sune earned the nickname "Ghost of Solomon". However, the Elmeth then had to fight against the RX-78-2 Gundam, piloted by Amuro Ray. When Char intervened and fought against Amuro, Lalah moved the Elmeth between their mobile suits and was killed instantly when the Gundam's beam saber pierced the mobile armor's cockpit, destroying it in the process.
A second unit was piloted by Newtype pilot Kuzco Al.
Notes and TriviaEdit
- MAN stands for Mobile Armor Newtype.
- It's name "Elmeth" is most likely a grammatically incorrect form of the Hebrew phrase for "God of Death" (correct would've been "el mavet").
- 『エルメス』in Japanese is also referred to Hermes. Due to copyright of エルメス owned by the French fashion brand Hermès, Bandai was obliged to adopt alternate names for MAN-08's merchandises other than the name "エルメス / Elmeth", such as "ララァ・スン専用モビルアーマー/Lalah Sune Use Mobile Armor" and " NT専用モビルアーマー/Newtype Use Mobile Armor" for Gunpla and action figures.
- The music video for "Defend Love" is Amuro's second fully animated music video which was created by Sunrise, Inc. and directed by TANAKAZOO & Tanaka Yusuke. The video features Amuro as the animated character that was previously seen in the music video for "Dr." and a third alter ego of Amuro that is battling with the character Amuro Ray from the anime series Mobile Suit Gundam. The scene is almost entirely a recreation of the battle from The Ghost of Solomon of the Universal Century timeline with Amuro's animated character drawn in place of the original character from the sequence, Lalah Sune and piloting the MAN-08 Elmeth. The character of Amuro in the previous animated music video is apparently connected to this third alter ego and is being manipulated with the psycommu system which is forcing her to control the third alter ego in destructive ways.
- During the battle sequence Amuro, in a purple MAN-08 Elmeth is fighting Amuro Ray in the RX-78-2 Gundam. In their newtype bond Ray tries to convince her to stop the battle but Amuro doesn't react to his plea and continues the battle which ultimately forces Ray to destroy the Mobile Armor she is piloting which causes the connection between Amuro's two characters to be severed. This scene differs from the scene in the anime series as the death of Lalah Sune was accidental.
|Solomon Express Mechanics|
| Mobile Suit|
FA-010E Full Armor ZZ Gundam Final Test Unit | Gundam Phase 3 | Gundam Sky | RX-78-2 Gundam C-Armor | RX-78-2 Solomon Express G-2 | RX-78-3 Solomon Express G-3 "White Devil" | Z Plus 2
| Mobile Armour|
Dendrobium Prototype "Night Fighter"
|Aircraft / Spacecraft|
G-Armor Solomon Express | G-Bull | G-Bull Easy | G-Sky Easy
|Principality of Zeon|
| Mobile Suit|
Jupiter Ghost | MS-05 Zaku First Refined Type 185th Airborne Paratrooper Use | MS-05BIS Zaku British Invasion "Green Devil" | MS-18E Kämpfer | Zaku Zombie
| Mobile Armour|
AMX-002 Neue Ziel | MA-08 Big Zam | MAN-03 Braw Bro | MAN-08 Elmeth
| Mobile Armour|
MRX-010 Psyco Gundam Mk-II