Technology & Combat Characteristics
Before the One Year War began, there was a conceptual weapons competition between rival companies: one entry was MIP's MIP-X1 mobile armor, but it was rejected in favor of Zeonic Company's mobile suit technology. After the outbreak of the war, Zeon re-evaluated the MIP-X1 and retooled it into the first space combat-use mobile armor, the MA-05 Bigro. Powered by a high output fusion reactor, the Bigro also has high thrust thanks to a pair of thermonuclear rocket engines, and through the combination of its short body with AMBAC, it is capable of high mobility such as turning 180 degree in 1.3 seconds.
The Bigro excels in high-speed hit-and-run tactics, but its high mobility makes it hard for a normal pilot to withstand the high Gs. It is fitted with a Minovsky particle scattering system for jamming enemy units' sensors and is armed with a pair of large claw arms, a mega-particle cannon in the nose, and two 4-tube missile launchers. Later models were armed with additional gatling cannons. Due to Bigro's late entry in the war, only a limited number of this costly machine was constructed, with several units serving as testbeds for next generation mobile armors.
- Mega Particle Cannon
- Built into the nose of the Bigro, it is the machine's main armament and is shielded by a beak-shaped cover when not in use.
- Quadruple Missile Launcher
- Four small missile launchers are equipped on each side of the machine, above the claw arms. They could be used to gain an advantage in high-speed combat by blocking the enemy unit's movement with a barrage of missiles.
- Claw Arm
- A pair of large arms installed at the front of the machine as AMBAC limbs. The tip of the arms have three claws and were designed to be used in striking attacks. They are strong enough to penetrate Luna Titanium alloy, and can also perform simple actions such as grabbing enemy units.
- Gatling Cannon
- The late production models feature large-caliber multi-barrel Gatling Cannons on the side of its main body. These guns are used against relatively small, fast-moving opponents such as mobile suits or mobile pods. The Gatling Cannon has a high-rate of fire and it is able to damage the light armor of a mass-produced Federation mobile weapons.
Special Equipment & Features
- Minovsky Particle Scattering System
- A device which disperses Minovsky particles to surrounding area, jamming the sensors of enemy mobile suits and warships, rendering Bigro undetectable.
One Bigro was piloted by ace pilot Tokwan on-board Char Aznable's Zanzibar. It engaged the SCV-70 White Base but was defeated by Amuro Ray in his RX-78-2 Gundam unit. Afterwards, at the battle of A Baoa Qu, around three teams of Bigro were said to be deployed. Overall, about 14 early model of the Bigro was produced, with the production number of later models being unclear. In U.C. 0083 a Bigro was operated by EFF Captain Ewen Bader to battle the Cima Fleet. This machine was requisitioned after the One Year War for testing and was further modified for combat, it was painted white with an EFSF logo so that it would standout and not be mistaken for a Delaz Fleet machine.
Illustrations & Artwrok
Notes & Trivia
- Its name is a play on the words for "big claw".
- "Mobile Suit Gundam MS IGLOO Mission Complete" book, pg. 69-70.