Technology & Combat Characteristics
Before the One Year War began, there was a conceptual weapons competition between rival companies: one entry was MIP's MIP-X1 mobile armor, but it was rejected in favor of Zeonic Company's mobile suit technology. After the outbreak of the war, Zeon re-evaluated the MIP-X1 and retooled it into the first space combat-use mobile armor, the MA-05 Bigro. Powered by a high output fusion reactor, the Bigro also has high thrust thanks to a pair of thermonuclear rocket engines, and through the combination of its short body with AMBAC, it is capable of high mobility such as turning 180 degree in 1.3 seconds.
The Bigro excels in high-speed hit-and-run tactics, but its high mobility makes it hard for a normal pilot to withstand the high Gs. It is fitted with a Minovsky particle scattering system for jamming enemy units' sensors and is armed with a pair of large claw arms, a mega-particle cannon in the nose, and two 4-tube missile launchers. Later models were armed with additional gatling cannons. Due to Bigro's late entry in the war, only a limited number of this costly machine was constructed, with several units serving as testbeds for next generation mobile armors.
- Mega Particle Cannon
- Mounted in the nose of the MA, and concealed by a retractable cover when not in use. The mega particle cannon fires a powerful beam capable of sinking a Salamis-class ship in a single hit.
- 4-tube Missile Launcher
- Located just behind the mega particle cannon are a pair of 4-tube missile launchers which serve as secondary weapons in situations when the cannon is in the process of charging or is ineffective against an opponent.
- Claw Arm
- The Bigro's main and only form of close combat weapon is a pair of large, sharp claws mounted on its long arms. These are normally used for clawing at enemies and causing massive damage with a combination of the claw's strength and the momentum built up by the mobile armor. They could also be used for maneuvering in space.
- Gatling Cannon
- The late production models feature large-caliber multi-barrel Gatling Cannons on the side of its main body. These guns are used against relatively small, fast-moving opponents such as mobile suits or mobile pods. The Gatling Cannon has a high-rate of fire and it is able to damage the light armor of a mass-produced Federation mobile weapons.
Special Equipment & Features
- Minovsky Particle Scattering System
- A device which disperses Minovsky particles to surrounding area, jamming the sensors of enemy mobile suits and warships, rendering Bigro undetectable.
One Bigro was piloted by ace pilot Tokwan on-board Char Aznable's Zanzibar. It engaged the SCV-70 White Base but was defeated by Amuro Ray in his RX-78-2 Gundam unit. Afterwards, at the battle of A Baoa Qu, around three teams of Bigro were said to be deployed. Overall, about 14 early model of the Bigro was produced, with the production number of later models being unclear. In U.C. 0083 a Bigro was operated by EFF Captain Ewen Bader to battle the Cima Fleet. This machine was requisitioned after the One Year War for testing and was further modified for combat, it was painted white with an EFSF logo so that it would standout and not be mistaken for a Delaz Fleet machine.
Notes and Trivia
- Its name is a play on the words for "big claw".
- ↑ "Mobile Suit Gundam MS IGLOO Mission Complete" book, pg. 69-70.