Technology & Combat Characteristics
The Big Ruf is a modified Bigro unit designed to strike at enemy vanguard fleets. The Big Ruf is equipped with a very powerful fusion reactor to power a Minovsky particle scattering system that jams warship and MS sensors. Propulsion includes a pair of nuclear powered rocket engines and an extra pair of boosters, giving it a powerful thrust. Armaments include a pair of large claw arms with limited AMBAC ability, a mega-particle cannon in the nose, two 4-tube missile launchers, and two 6-tube Missile Launchers on the extra pair of boosters. Mounted underneath the Big Ruf is an anti-ship missile with a total length of approximately 100 meters, which is the same type that was used by space fortresses.
- Claw Arms
- The mobile armor's main and only form of close combat are a pair of large, sharp claws mounted on its long arms. These are normally used for clawing at enemies and causing massive damage with a combination of the claw's strength and the momentum built up by the mobile armor. They could also be used for maneuvering in space.
- Mega Particle Cannon
- Mounted in the front of the mobile armor is a powerful mega particle cannon. This weapon has been shown to have enough power to destroy a battle ship with a single shot.
- 4-tube Missile Launchers
- Located just behind the mega particle cannon are a pair of 4-tube missile launchers which serve as secondary weapons in situations when the cannon is in the process of charging or is ineffective against an opponent.
- 6-tube Missile Launchers
- A new addition to the mobile armor are a pair of 6-tube missile launchers. In addition to increasing the overall fire power of the unit, they also have built-in thrusters for an increase in acceleration as well.
- Large Anti-Ship Missile
- Attached to the underbelly of the Big Ruf is a 100-meter long missile classified as a Fortress-use Anti-Ship missile over twice the length of the Big Ruf itself.
Special Equipment & Features
- Minovsky Particle Scattering System
- Like the Bigro, the Big Ruf uses a Minovsky Particle Scattering System to jam the sensors of warships and mobile suits. This allows it to sneak up mostly undetected by enemies; however, it can still be seen visually.
At A Baoa Qu in early December of U.C. 0079, three MA-05 Bigro units were converted into MA-05R Big Ruf's. During testing, one of the MA-05R Big Ruf units was assigned to Colonel Robert Gilliam and painted in his blue personal colors, but apparently somebody else piloted it during the Battle of A Baoa Qu. All three Big Ruf units were reported lost during the final battle of the One Year War.
Notes and Trivia