Lacus Clyne (ラクス・クライン Rakusu Kurain?) is a character from the TV anime Mobile Suit Gundam SEED and Mobile Suit Gundam SEED Destiny. A popular female vocalist, she became the co-leader of the Clyne Faction during the First Alliance-PLANT War.
- 1 Personality & Character
- 2 Skills & Abilities
- 3 History
- 4 Relationships
- 5 In Games
- 6 Quotes
- 7 Gallery
- 8 Notes & Trivia
- 9 References
Personality & Character
At first glance Lacus appears to be naive and a bit of an airhead, but it is only due to her idealistic and pacifistic nature. Beneath the surface as a pop star and a PLANT idol, she is actually a very deep and philosophical person, as she demonstrates when she delivers speeches throughout the series - mainly about the widening rift between Naturals and Coordinators, the ironies of calling for peace yet doing so with weapons in hand, and the real causes of war as being within the human heart itself. As the leader of the Clyne Faction (and later the Three Ships Alliance and Terminal), Lacus is very charismatic, strong-willed, and determined to see their fight for peace through to the end. Like her father, Siegel Clyne, Lacus wishes to see a world where Naturals and Coordinators would willingly work together and coexist in harmony, disregarding the notion that Coordinators are an evolved species. Being a pacifist, Lacus holds a strong dislike for war, expressing that they are simply started and repeated through a neverending cycle of attack and retaliation.
Skills & Abilities
Because Lacus is a coordinator, her mind and body are enhanced above a normal human's abilities; the full aspects of her abilities are undefined. Lacus most outstanding talents lie with singing and dancing, as she developed into an influential cultural pop-icon in PLANT. She is shown to have a good sense of delegation and command for those that work under her. Lacus Clyne has the ability to enter SEED mode as well. When in SEED-mode, her delegation and coordination abilities are enhanced for commanding the Eternal; her full abilities are unknown.
First Alliance-PLANT War
Lacus Clyne was born the daughter of PLANT Supreme Council Chairman Siegel Clyne. She developed a career as an idol singer which brought her enormous popularity in the PLANTs. She is engaged to Athrun Zala for political reasons. Upon their engagement, Athrun goes to their home to hand her a bouquet of roses much to her delight. When the First Alliance-PLANT War started, things have changed between them as they are both preoccupied by their agendas during the war they rarely got the chance to meet or speak with one another. Despite that, Lacus always anticipated the day she and Athrun will meet again.
Meeting Kira Yamato
When she was dispatched on the civilian space vessel Silverwind to the ruins of Junius Seven for an upcoming memorial service, her vessel was attacked by an Earth Alliance Nelson-class battleship, which was given information by Kenav Luchini to believe that the vessel was actually a military ship. A fight broke out aboard the ship, but not before a life pod carrying Lacus was jettisoned, and departed safety away due to the efforts of Junk Guild tech Lowe Guele in his MBF-P02 Astray Red Frame. Her life pod was subsequently rescued by the Kira Yamato and brought aboard the Archangel.
Even though they are technically enemies, Lacus was kind and respectful towards everybody on board the Archangel, and most of them treated her the same way. (Sai Argyle does question whether the reason she has such a lovely singing voice is due to her genetic alterations.) However, Flay Allster refused to shake hands and scorns her kindness because she was a Coordinator. During her time on the Archangel, Lacus spent a lot of time with Kira and two started to bond as they saw how kind the other was.
Later, when Flay's father's escort was attacked by ZAFT forces, Flay dragged Lacus to the bridge and said that she would kill Lacus if ZAFT didn't cease their attack at once. Before anyone could react her father dies when his ship, the Montgomery, exploded. Lacus' showed compassion towards Flay after her father death, despite having been threatened by her. As the ZAFT forces continue their assault, Natarle Badgiruel informed them that the Archangel had Lacus on board, thus prompting them to withdraw. When Kira nearly had an emotional breakdown on one of the observation decks due to Flay's abusive words, Lacus comforted him and learned that he shared a friendship with Athrun.
Kira later smuggled Lacus off the Archangel and returned her to Athrun, who once again beseeched him to join ZAFT. As before, Kira turned him down because he wanted to protect his friends on board the Archangel. This saddens Lacus, as she knew that Kira and Athrun are both good people that were forced to fight one another because of this war. As Athrun returned to the Vesalius with Lacus, Rau Le Creuset launched in his ZGMF-515 CGUE to begin an assault on the Archangel. Lacus quickly picked up the intercom and ordered him to stop his aggression at once, due to her being a memorial representative of Junius Seven.
Lacus momentarily stayed on the Vesalius while waiting for the ship to fetch her and return her to PLANTs. She kept on going out of her room and was told to stay there since it is a warship. Athrun then comes over to visit her. She saw Athrun stare at her worriedly and ask him what the matter was. Athrun asks her how she was feeling after being taken as a hostage. Lacus replied that Kira treated her very well, which makes Athrun angry. As he blurted out his disgust about Kira choosing to side with the Earth forces, Lacus tried to comfort him by reaching her hand to his cheek, but Athrun avoided the gesture. He then apologized and bid farewell. Before he left, Lacus pointed out the bitter expression he always had. Athrun replied that he can't exactly fight a war with a big smile on his face and shuts the door leaving Lacus stunned.
The next day, Athrun escorted Lacus to the ship. Lacus was disappointed that their meeting was short. Athrun replied that everyone was worried at PLANTs. Before Lacus boarded the ship she told Athrun that she was looking forward to the day they'll meet again.
When Athrun visited Lacus at her home in PLANTs, they discussed Kira and Lacus mentions that she was quite "fond" of Kira, much to Athrun's surprise. The two then spent time walking around the garden talking. Athrun however, was unable to stay for dinner much to Lacus' disappointment since her father was going home and wanted to see him. Athrun reassures her by saying he'll come visit her again making Lacus' face light up with anticipation and told him she'll look forward to that day. Lacus then leaned forward Athrun (he was surprised at first until he understood the gesture) with her eyes closed. Athrun then kissed her on the lips (on the cheek in the remastered version) and bid her goodbye. As Athrun left, Lacus told Mr. Pink that Athrun was really a busy person.
Second meeting with Kira
Late in the war, a wounded Kira was brought to Lacus' home by Clyne family friend Reverend Malchio. Lacus nursed Kira back to health with the help of her father and Malchio. Kira and Lacus became even closer during his stay. When Kira was unsure if it was alright for him to be there with them, Lacus assured him that he could stay at her home as long as he wanted. However, when Siegel Clyne received word of Patrick Zala's deception - that the target for Operation: Spitbreak was the Earth Alliance headquarters JOSH-A in Alaska, instead of the intended Panama Base - Kira wanted to return to Earth to save his friends aboard the Archangel. In response, Lacus provided Kira with a ZAFT Red uniform and helped him steal the ZGMF-X10A Freedom Gundam. Before he left, Lacus granted Kira "her strength" by means of a kiss to his cheek, showing him that he has her support and affections.
Because of her helping Kira, Lacus and her father Siegel were declared traitors. As part of the "Clyne Faction", they tried to inform the people about the genocidal ambitions of Patrick Zala, and Siegel was gunned down by ZAFT soldiers under Patrick Zala's command. While in hiding, Lacus met with Athrun, and explained why she helped Kira and that if Athrun kept blindly following the path he was on, she and Kira would ultimately become his enemies. Just then, soldiers of the PLANT radical faction tried to assassinate her, but she and Athrun were saved by members of the Clyne Faction, notably Martin DaCosta.
Three Ships Alliance
Near the end of the First Alliance-PLANT War, she left the PLANTs with her stolen support ship Eternal and joins the Orb Union-owned Kusanagi and the recently defected Archangel to form the "Three Ships Alliance", a group dedicated to stopping the war. Upon reuniting with Kira again, she told him about the death of her father and weeped bitterly in his arms as he comforts her.
After the Battle of Mendel, when Kira discovered his origins as the product of the Ultimate Coordinator Project and began to question his worth of existence, Lacus would help Kira to come to terms with his true origins and worth. She confessed her love to him, telling him that meeting him had made her a happy woman, despite all the sadness she has endured up to that point, and that she wanted him to stay with her. Kira embraces Lacus, accepting her confession. (In the manga, after the battle, the Junk Guild vessel ReHOME joins the Three Ships Alliance as a tender ship, Lacus finally meets the man who saved Kira's life (as well as her own), none other than Junk Guild tech, Lowe Guele.)
During the Second Battle of Jachin Due, Lacus give Kira her ring that once belonged to her mother and asked him to come back to her after the fighting had ended. Kira accepted the ring, thanked her for her support and sealed his promise to return with a kiss on her cheek before leaving for battle. During the battle, Lacus tried to persuade both sides to cease firing the weapons of mass destruction, but failed. After a long philosophical soliloquy about war and death, Lacus entered SEED mode.
After the battle had ended and the war declared over, Lacus and Kira moved to Orb and began living together at Reverend Malchio's orphanage.
Second Alliance-PLANT War
Life at Orb
Two years after the end of the war, Lacus and Kira were still living together at Reverend Malchio's orphanage in the Marshall Islands until a disaster forces her, Kira, the Reverend, and the orphanage children to move in with Andrew Waltfeld and Murrue Ramius at their shared mansion in Orb. Meanwhile, PLANT Supreme Council Chairman Gilbert Durandal, in need of political clout, showcased Meer Campbell as Lacus, using her to influence the populace. The real Lacus was almost killed in an assassination attempt by Coordinators from the "Coordinator special forces". Kira was forced to pilot the Freedom again in order to protect the woman he loves. She, along with Murrue, Kira, Andrew, Cagalli Yula Athha, and most of the Archangel's crew reunited hoping to stop the new war. Lacus acted as the CIC officer for the Archangel until Cagalli took over. (Ultimately, Kira's old friend Miriallia Haw would take over this position).
Return to Space
Lacus, along with Andrew later hijacked a shuttle (which was meant for Lacus' double, Meer Campbell) to go into space, to see what the situation was at the PLANTs. They rejoin the crew of the Eternal and the Terminal factory satellite. (In the Special Edition, the scene is edited so that Kira begs her to let him come along. Despite her personal feelings for Kira, she tells him he must remain on Earth to help Cagalli and the Archangel.) After the shuttle was found, Durandal declares that she is an impostor.
When Lacus and the crew of the Eternal were discovered and attacked by ZAFT again (due to an intelligence-gathering error made by Martin DaCosta), she and the ship tried to deliver the newly-built Strike Freedom and Infinite Justice Gundams to Kira and Athrun on Earth. Kira arrived in space via Cagalli's Strike Rouge Ootori and was nearly killed when his mobile suit is severely damaged. Andrew uses his ZGMF-X88S Gaia to provide Kira enough cover to retreat to the Eternal, where his new mobile suit was awaiting. Aboard, Kira and Lacus reunited and share an emotional embrace and words of happiness at seeing each other again. Lacus then took Kira to his new mobile suit, the Strike Freedom; once again, she wore a worried expression, much like she did when Kira wanted to pilot the Freedom to save her in Orb. After Kira saved her and the Eternal, she took the Infinite Justice to Orb herself with Kira joining her in the Strike Freedom Gundam. She landed on the Archangel and her words again helped Athrun decide on what he wants to do concerning the second war.
When Meer interrupted Cagalli's television broadcast following Operation Fury, Lacus subsequently interrupted as well, revealing her presence and the fact that Meer was an impostor. Most people were shocked, including the Joule Team and the Minerva crew; even Durandal himself was perplexed that Lacus was in Orb. In her broadcast she also denounced Chairman Durandal's agenda, but also stated she does not support Lord Djibril either: saying that the war was the responsibility of everyone, for they created this type of world. After the broadcast, the world and the PLANTs argue over who was the real Lacus.
Later, Lacus and Kira revealed to the crew of the Archangel that Durandal intended to assign behavioral genes to every human being in order to render war and conflict obsolete. By doing this, no one could make a decision if their future was planned. Terminal vowed to stop Durandal from implementing his radical "Destiny Plan".
After the sudden attack on PLANT by Lord Djibril's Requiem, Lacus went back to space aboard the Archangel. She joined Athrun, Kira, and Meyrin Hawke on an information gathering mission on the Moon, where they are contacted by Meer. Even though Athrun and Meyrin think it is a trap, Lacus choose to meet Meer. Lacus tried to convince Meer to stop working for Durandal; however, they are attacked. Athrun, Kira, and Meyrin deal with the attackers, but Meer ended up dying in Lacus' arms after taking the shot that was originally meant to kill Lacus. After a funeral on the Archangel, Lacus and the others read Meer's diary and were visibly moved. When Durandal appears on a television broadcast, Lacus looked at him with an expression which had never been seen on her.
During the final stages of the war, Lacus lead Terminal and the bulk of the forces that stood in the way between Durandal and the implementation of the Destiny Plan. She once again tried to convince the ZAFT forces to stand down and reminded them of the principles of humanity. However, believing she was a fake and part of Logos, ZAFT forces continued the attack. During the battle, she and Kira stayed behind to destroy Messiah while the rest of the fleet went to destroy Requiem.
After the death of Chairman Durandal, Lacus Clyne was invited back to the PLANTs to serve as a mediator between the PLANTs and the other nations. Following the end of the Second Alliance-PLANT War, Lacus Clyne become the Chairwoman of the PLANT Supreme Council. Later, when she and Kira (who had joined ZAFT and was wearing a white ZAFT commander uniform) reuniting at the PLANTs they immediately ran towards each other and embraced in front of their friends and other officials. (Startling some of the other members of ZAFT).
- Kira and Lacus first met when he rescued her life pod from the wreckage of her destroyed ship and brought her aboard the Archangel. The two formed a bond of being the only Coordinators on a ship full of Naturals and began to learn about one another and appreciate each other’s true kindness and gentle personalities. Kira, not wanting Lacus to be used as a hostage by the Earth Alliance, liberated her from the Archangel and returned her to ZAFT. After Kira’s battle with Athrun, he was taken to the PLANTs and began recovering at the Clyne manor under Lacus’ care. During this period, Kira and Lacus spent a lot of time together, growing closer as they learned more about one another, and developed feelings for each other. This resulted in Lacus abandoning her relationship with Athrun in favor of Kira. After witnessing Kira’s conviction to return to Earth and help his friends aboard the Archangel, she helped him steal the Freedom Gundam, understanding his ideals and reasons to fight. Before leaving, Lacus told Kira that he would have all of her strength and kissed him on his cheek, conveying to him that he had her support and affection.
- After the death of her father, Lacus waited until she was with Kira to mourn, crying as he embraced and comforted her. After Kira found out about his past and began to question whether he was meant to exist, Lacus reassured Kira that he did, confessing that meeting him had made her a “happy woman” and that she wanted him to stay with her. After hearing this, Kira embraced Lacus, accepting her confession. During the Second Battle of Jachin Due, Lacus gave Kira her ring (that once belonged to her mother) and asked him to come back to her after the fighting had ended. Kira accepted the ring and promised to return to her by kissing her on the cheek (like she did to him after giving him the Freedom) before leaving for battle. Following the end of the war, Kira and Lacus spend the next two years living together in Orb and helping take care of Reverend Malchio’s orphanage.
- During the Second Alliance-PLANT War, when assassins were sent to kill Lacus, Kira chose to once again pilot the Freedom to protect her. Lacus was hesitant to let Kira pilot the Freedom, not wanting to be the cause of him having to suffer through war again. Kira reassured her that he would be alright and that he would rather fight again than risk anything happening to her. When Lacus decided to return to space, Kira worried about her being in danger and him not being there to protect her. Lacus reassured him that she would be safe and that she would come back to him. When the FFMH-Y101 Eternal was in danger, Kira rushed to space to protect Lacus. Once reunited the two embraced each other, and told the other that they couldn’t be happier to be together again. Following the end of the Second Alliance-PLANT War, Lacus became the new Chairwoman of the PLANTs and Kira joined ZAFT. When they saw one another at the PLANTs they immediately ran towards each other and embraced in front of their friends and other officials.
- Kira and Lacus provide a great deal of comfort, trust, understanding, and emotional support for each other. They have excellent communication and by the time of the Second Alliance-PLANT War, the two are completely comfortable being romantically intimate with each other, even when around others.
- Athrun and Lacus go back a ways, being connected by their fathers who were both Supreme Council members. Athrun was the one who gave Lacus her Haro. After Lacus told him she enjoyed Haro's company, he continued to create them resulting in a number of Haros in Lacus' manor. Their relationship ended when Patrick Zala broke up their engagement. They still shared their friendship though, and high amounts of respect with each other, as well as concern. Athrun was often inspired by Lacus' words and speeches, even snapping out of a depression and returning to battle after defecting from ZAFT the second time.
- Lacus is usually accompanied by a pink Haro (Mr. Pink, Pink-chan) is given to her by Athrun Zala, who has a penchant for making small robotic contraptions (such as Kira’s Birdy). Over time Athrun made her more Haros in many different colors. Mr. Pink is usually there to keep her company when everyone else is away, and she often talks to it despite the fact that Mr. Pink has a very limited vocabulary. After the First Alliance-PLANT War, it held the two keys to the Freedom's secret hangar.
Lacus is a Pilot in Dynasty Warriors: Gundam 2 piloting the Infinite Justice like Athrun.
She often shows her worrying of Kira getting hurt and also encourages Kira and Athrun throughout the game. In a collection mission she is seen piloting a ball and makes references to Haro. Also in some missions she can appear asking for the players help to find Haro. If the player finds Haro, Lacus becomes an ally and gives the player an advantage in the current mission.
Lacus is also playable in Gundam Vs. series in Alliance vs ZAFT 2 and SD Gundam Generation Wars/Spirits, unlike in Dynasty Warriors, she does not have a default unit.
Lacus makes her first appearance in the Super Robot Wars franchise with Super Robot Wars Judgement. She appears on board the Eternal alongside Andrew Waltfield. The big difference here is that, unlike the game's other battleships (the Archangel and Martian Successor Nadesico's Nadesico), the Eternal is a selectable unit. Lacus can be switched with Andrew as the captain before launch. She's also seen possessing a SEED mode.
Lacus develops a relationship with Relena Darlian in the Dynasty Warriors: Gundam and Super Robot Wars games.
Illustrations & Artwork
Notes & Trivia
- Mitsuo Fukuda, the director of Gundam SEED, claimed in a 2003 interview that he drew inspiration from actress Audrey Hepburn for the creation of Lacus' character.
- Three of her songs - Shizukana Yoruni (In the Quiet Night), Mizu no Akashi, and Fields of Hope, can be found in the various Gundam SEED soundtracks and music albums.
- Chantal Strand also voiced Feldt Grace from Mobile Suit Gundam 00.
- English voice actress Chantal Strand who voiced Lacus also voiced Kazumi Yoshida from Shakugan no Shana. Lacus and Flay's English voice actresses, Chantal Strand and Tabitha St. Germain, play a similar love triangle relationship role with Kazumi Yoshida and Shana from Shakugan no Shana.
- Chantal Strand also voiced Diamond Tiara in My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic, which is much stranger considering that Maryke Hendrikse voiced Spitfire, Matt Hill voiced Soarin' and Tabitha St. Germain voiced Rarity. Who in turn, those actors portrayed Lunamaria Hawke, Kira Yamato and Flay Allster.
- In Gundam SEED: Rengou vs ZAFT series, it is possible to designate Lacus as a pilot of a mobile suit. However, her statistic points are considered as one of the worst in the game. In Gundam Musou series, it is possible for the player to put Lacus in the ∞ Justice, yet her statistic points are far worse than Athrun Zala's, the default pilot of the mobile suit. Maxed out however, she has a much greater Shot stat than Athrun and Defense on par with his. In the PS3 version of Gundam Extreme Vs. Full Boost, Lacus can be obtained as free DLC as an alternate pilot for the Infinite Justice with the suit's cost slashed down to 1000, lacking the ability to ride the sublifter and having the kick combo removed in lieu of Strike Freedom as an assist.
- Lacus can arouse her SEED Factor in Super Robot Wars series. The game shows her SEED Factor phase animation, unlike in the TV series.
- Lacus created a remarkable record in the history of Animage's Anime Grand Prix award. She won the first place four times in 2002, 2004, 2005 and 2006 as the best female anime character, plus a couple of times selected as the runner up. This feat has so far not being matched or surpass by other any other Gundam characters.
- Despite being one of her most popular roles, Rie Tanaka said at her appearance at the 2008 New York Anime Festival that Lacus is the hardest character she played so far.
- Lacus' exit from her escape pod in episodes 7 and 8 of Gundam SEED is a nod to Lalah Sune's exit from Char's shuttle in episode 34 ("The Glory of Solomon") of Mobile Suit Gundam.
- In an episode of SEED, Lacus draws a Turn A Gundam-like moustache on her dark-blue Haro.
- Lacus is the first ever female leader of the PLANT Supreme Council. Eileen Canaver was only acting Chairwoman until Gilbert Durandal replaced her as permanent Chairman of the PLANT Supreme Council.
- Lacus makes a cameo appearance in the Sunrise anime Cross Ange: Rondo of Angel and Dragon.
- In Gundam SEED DESTINY Suit CD Vol. 8's Suit Mini-Drama "Secret Strategy", Lacus walks in on Andrew Waltfeld while he was watcing a live broadcast of Meer Campbell's concert and expresses interest in it, seemingly forgetting the favor she wanted to ask at first. Andrew then teaches her a few of Meer's dance moves using a few pieces of media he collected for "intelligence-gathering" purposes, later showing what they practiced to Kira. While flattered that Kira prefers her over the impostor, Lacus' actual intention (that Andrew unknowingly fulfilled) was to get info on Meer's mannerisms for a plan she has in mind.