The LM314V21 Victory 2 Gundam (aka Victory 2, V2) is the successor of the LM312V04 Victory Gundam featured in Mobile Suit Victory Gundam. Its development involves Myra Miggelle, wife of Hangerg Ewin, one of the founding members of League Militaire. It is piloted by Üso Ewin.
Technology & Combat Characteristics
Developed from the LM312V04 Victory Gundam, the Victory 2 (V2) Gundam was the newest Gundam produced by the League Militaire as their new symbol, replacing the older Victory Gundam. Nevertheless it shared many similarities with its predecessor, most notably the Core Block System, in which the V2's body is consisted of a Core Fighter (also known as V2 Core Fighter) attached to the suit's upper and lower body. This allowed damaged parts to be quickly and easily swapped out in the middle of battle. The V2 Core Fighter can also combined only with the upper body (also known as V2 Top Limb, or "Hanger" as it was informally known) or the lower body (also known as V2 Bottom Limb or "Boots") to form the V2 Top Fighter and the V2 Bottom Fighter respectively.
Its armaments were mostly identical to the original Victory as well, although most of its systems were upgraded to better combat the newer mobile weapons being produced by the Zanscare Empire. Like its two predecessors, the V2 could also be outfitted with a variety of equipment to adapt to different mission roles. These upgrades typically saw the V2 outfitted with additional armor or extra weapons (or both).
The most important upgrade, however, was the Minovsky Drive System, which was derived from the Victory Gundam's Minovsky Flight System and provided the unit with unparalleled power and maneuverability. This system allowed the V2 to fly in space without the use of conventional rocket thrusters (though some were still incorporated for maneuvering) and achieve incredible speeds. If used on Earth, the Minovsky Drive allowed the V2 to hover in mid-air without additional support, a significant advantage over the beam rotor technology used by Zanscare's mobile suits.
The Minovsky Drive can also be used for both offensive and defensive purposes, sometimes simultaneously. The system's high-energy exhaust plumes manifested as a giant pair of wings ("Wings of Light"), which could be used as either gigantic beam sabers or as massive beam shields to shield both the Gundam itself and other targets. The defensive ability of the Wings of Light is nigh-unbreakable, if not absolute: not even the ZMT-S29S Zanneck's beam cannon, which could hit targets on Earth from high in the atmosphere, could penetrate them.
- Head Vulcan
- A basic armament of many mobile suits, a pair are mounted on the Victory 2 Gundam's head. The Vulcan Guns are mainly for intercepting incoming missiles/rockets, destroying mobile suit sensors, and engaging lightly-armored vehicles.
- Beam Saber
- The beam saber is a small device held in the mobile suit's hands when deployed and is powered by a rechargeable energy capacitor. It emits high-energy Minovsky particles to form a blade-shaped I-field (via manipulation of electromagnetic fields), and then fills this I-field shell with superheated Minovsky particle plasma to produce an effective cutting blade. The Victory 2 Gundam is equipped with four beam sabers, stored in forearm storage racks when not in use.
- Beam Shield
- By generating a plane of energy similar to the blade of a beam saber, the beam shield can block both beam and projectile weapons. The Victory 2 Gundam is equipped with two beam shields, one mounted on each forearm. The beam shields are also operable when the V2 Top Fighter is operating independently.
- Beam Rifle
- A standard hand carried ranged beam weapon is the beam rifle, which fires concentrated mega particles that can damage any ordinary armor not specially treated to resist it. The energy pack is installed in the stock portion of the rear. During precision shooting, the stability is increased by grasping the movable foregrip.
- Beam Pistol
- The beam pistol is the core unit of the Victory 2's beam rifle. When required, parts of the beam rifle can be ejected to reveal the beam pistol.
- Mounted below the barrel of the Victory 2's beam rifle, it can load and fire various physical projectile.
- Grenade Launcher
- In place of the multi-launcher, a larger grenade launcher can be fitted onto the Victory 2's beam rifle.
- Mega Beam Rifle
- Developed from the V-Dash Gundam's beam smart gun, it is relatively lightweight and has excellent handling, while having more than twice the power of a beam smart gun. When required, it can be split into the trigger portion and barrel portion, and carried separately on the hardpoints. It was later used by the V2 Assault Gundam.
- Mega Beam Shield
- A physical shield that generates a huge battleship-sized beam shield by deploying the three barrier bits mounted on its surface. It can also unleash a V-shaped beam at the opponent. This shield was later used by the V2 Assault Gundam.
- Beam Bazooka
- A Beam Bazooka utilizes the same technology as a beam rifle, just on a larger scale. Because it produces a larger beam, beam bazooka deals more damage than a beam rifle. The V2 utilizes the same Beam Bazooka as the Gun-EZ.
- Casting Net-type Mine
- A net fitted with multiple mines for use in space. The Victory 2 stole this weapon from a Callisto-class space cruiser during the final battle.
- Min Laser Mine
- The V2 can deploy numerous mini laser mines from its front skirt armor. When shot, these mines release a bright light for blinding enemies.
Special Equipment & Features
- The V2 Core Fighter serving as the cockpit block and control device of the unit is equipped with both the main generator and the Minvosky Drive. Due to the complex design, only two units were completed, one of which was lost in battle with the Motorad Fleet.
- Custom Targeting Sensor
- A targeting device that descends and covers the left eye when performing long-range precision shooting. It works with the Victory 2's firearms control computer.
- Hardpoints are attachment points for carrying any compatible weapons or equipment externally, and are standard equipment for all League Militaire mobile suits. The Victory 2 Gundam is equipped with ten hardpoints: two on each arm, one on each side armor, and two more on each of leg.
Within the anime, only two Victory 2 Gundams were known to be produced. The V2 Core Fighter for one of them was destroyed in combat against the Zanscare Empire's Adrastea-class battleship fleet when they attempted to take off from the moon. The remaining V2 Core Fighter was assigned to the League Militaire's ace pilot Üso Ewin, who would put the suit to great use during the latter half of the Zanscare War, overpowering any opponent the Zanscare Empire could match against it. Many of Üso's victories include outsmarting his opponents with the V2's superior speed, performance and the near-limitless utility of the "Wings of Light" system. After the war, a Victory 2 Gundam along with a Victory Gundam were kept hidden by Uso near where he and his friends now live in Kasarelia.
Another unit, which featured a blue color scheme, was transferred to the Jupiter Fleet after it was manufactured and the transformation mechanisms was tested by an Federation ace pilot, this unit lacked the Minovsky Drive System, and in terms of performance it is almost equivalent to the Victory Gundam. It was used by the Newtype Kamui Gian to provide back-up for Üso's V-Dash Gundam unit in a battle against the Zong.
Notes and Trivia
- The Voiture Lumiere Propulsion System used by ZGMF-X42S Destiny Gundam, ZGMF-X20A Strike Freedom Gundam and GSF-YAM01 Δ Astray (first two from Mobile Suit Gundam SEED Destiny and the last from Mobile Suit Gundam SEED C.E. 73 Δ Astray) has some similarities with the V2's Minovsky Drive.
- The V2 Gundam makes a brief cameo appearance in Mobile Fighter G Gundam. It appears in the background behind the Mandala Gundam after the Devil Gundam Colony's destruction.
- In the anime series Gundam Build Fighters, a Victory 2 Gundam is piloted by a Fonse Kagatie lookalike while having the colors of the ZMT-S37S Zanspine, the Zanscare Empire's equivalent of the V2.