This is the policy for canon on Gundam Wiki.
In addition to the many timelines featured in the Gundam metaseries. Works within those timelines may receive adaptations and retellings. When changes diverge significantly, it may require existing articles to be separated and new articles to be kept separated.
The term "entity" shall henceforth refer to a Character, Mobile Weapon, Faction, Location, Technology or Conflict within a timeline.
- 1 When to Separate
- 2 Separating Articles
- 2.1 If the new entity has a different name to its counterpart
- 2.2 If the new entity has the same name but is from non-animated media
- 2.3 If the new entity has the same name but is from animated media:
- 2.4 After Separation
When to Separate
The adaptation must be different enough to its source material
- Example: The Mobile Suit Gundam compilation films do not need their entities separated from the 1979 Mobile Suit Gundam television series.
- Example: The 2001 Mobile Suit Gundam: The Origin manga does need its entities separated from the 1979 Mobile Suit Gundam television series.
Animation Has Precedence
- When an adaptation is animated and its source material is not, then the adaptation becomes the main version and it will be articles about the source material that would have to be disambiguated.
- When non-animated media is adapted from animated source material, the articles for the animated version remain as the main version, the new adaptation will have to be disambiguated.
These are the different protocols for when a new work adapted from an existing work is announced.
If the new entity has a different name to its counterpart
No moving is necessary, create a new article
If the new entity has the same name but is from non-animated media
No moving is necessary, create a new article appended with a disambiguation string
Example: Mobile Suit Gundam has Kai Shiden, Mobile Suit Gundam: The Origin also has a character named Kai Shiden. We created the new article Kai Shiden (Origin) with " (Origin)" at the end of the article's name to disambiguate it from the existing article.
If the new entity has the same name but is from animated media:
Move the article using Special:MovePage, appending a disambiguation string without leaving a redirect.
The original name is free to use for an entirely new article.
Example: The page move without a redirect freed up the name. Thus a new Kenneth Sleg article was created.
- In the entity's infobox, add the parameter
|tabs=, typing out a comma-separated list of each of its counterparts (including itself), use a semi-colon to separate a page from its tab title. Do this consistently across each of the counterparts.
Example: For the RX-78-2 Gundam and each of its counterparts, it should be:
|tabs=RX-78-2 Gundam;Main, RX-78-02 Gundam;Origin, Gundam G40 (Industrial Design Ver.);G40, RX-78F00 Gundam;G-Dock, Gunboy-Wilbur;For the Barrel
Should there be a new canon introduced, follow the protocol and add update the list of tabs for each one.