Technology & Combat Characteristics
The GX-9901-DX Gundam DX was created by mobile suit engineers of the newly formed New United Nations Earth (NUNE). NUNE recovered the wreckage of GX-9900 Gundam X used by Jamil Neate during the 7th Space War and transplanted some of its system to the new mobile suit dubbed Double X. Furthermore, as creating a completely brand new design was extremely difficult, the mechanics used the Gundam X as the base unit when developing the Double X.
The Gundam Double X has an improved Satellite System, the "Satellite System Mk-II". It consisted of a larger reflector unit on its back with six panels, and several energy radiator plates on the limbs as part of the new improved cooling system to increase the microwave energy absorption. Accompanying this increase in energy storage capacity, the single-barreled Satellite Cannon was upgraded into the two-barreled Twin Satellite Cannon, allowing Double X to unleash destructive force several times that of the Gundam X. The power of the Twin Satellite Cannon was demonstrated when Garrod Ran used it to destroy the island of Zonder Epta in one shot, and shown again when used to destroy the Space Revolutionary Army's Colony Laser. As the old system transplanted from Jamil's Gundam X still contains his brain wave patterns, Double X can use the Twin Satellite Cannon without a Newtype as its pilot.
The Gundam Double X is also equipped with two Hyper Beam Swords stored on its side skirt armor, two Head Vulcans, four Breast Launchers and can use custom-made weapons including the Buster Rifle and Defense Plate. Because of its similarities to the Gundam X, the Gundam Double X can dock with a support craft developed for the Gundam X called the GS-9900 G-Falcon. While docked with the G-Falcon, the Double X is unable to use some of its weapons, but has the ability to use the weapons equipped on the aft section of the G-Falcon. Also, while joined with the G-Falcon, the Gundam Double X is able to safely re-enter Earth's atmosphere.
Like the Gundam X, the Double X had a security key in the form of a G-Controller that is needed to activate and control it. However, while the Double X has its own G-Controller, its base system is still the same as the Gundam X. This means that even without the Double X's G-Controller, it can still be operated by anyone who has an older-model G-Controller used with the Gundam X - as demonstrated by Garrod, who stole the Double X in this manner.
- Head Vulcan
- Two small caliber shell firing guns mounted in the head for use in close range. Despite having low firepower, they have a high rate of fire, and are suitable for intimidation, restricting enemy movements, destroying lightly armored enemy units, etc.
- Breast Launcher
- While most sources noted that the Gundam Double X has a pair of Breast Launchers, the mobile suit has been shown to actually have four such launchers, with two above the chest intakes and two below the intakes. The Breast Launchers are multi-purpose launchers that can fire various warheads.
- Buster Rifle
- A beam rifle made specifically for Double X, it has several times the power of standard beam rifles. Its internal structure is simplified for ease of maintenance.
- Defense Plate
- Hand-carried or forearm-mounted, this luna titanium alloy shielding equipment is custom made for Double X. It is also easy to wield due to its light weight.
- Hyper Beam Sword
- Has a higher output than the Gundam X's beam sword, one is stored on each side skirt armor.
- Twin Satellite Cannon
- An improvement over the Satellite Cannon, when the Twin Satellite Cannon is deployed, the cannons will be locked in place on the shoulders of the Gundam Double X. With both hands free, Gundam Double X is capable of defending itself whilst charging the Twin Satellite Cannon.
- Buster Rifle (Airmaster Burst)
- Double X took this weapon from the GW-9800-B Gundam Airmaster Burst's severed arm after its own Buster Rifle was destroyed during their battle against the NRX-010 Gable.
- Twin Beam Sword
- A close combat weapon that can emit beam swords from both ends of the grip.
- Beam Javelin
- A pole weapon that emits a short beam blade, it is easier to use than the hyper beam swords. It is stored in the Freeden II's hangar, but not equipped on the Gundam.
- Consisting of a spiked ball attached to a wire, this weapon is useful for close combat and aquatic battle. Verniers built into the spiked ball allowed it to be flexibly controlled after launch. The wire is retracted when the weapon is not in use, allowing the G-Hammer to be stored in a compact form. Like the Beam Javelin, the G-Hammer is stored in the Freeden II's hangar, but not equipped on the Gundam.
- Rocket Launcher Gun
- A gun that launches a large warhead. Although the weapon has high destructive power, it has extremely limited number of shots as the Double X only carries two warheads on its rear waist armor.
Special Equipment & Features
- Satellite System Mk-II
Developed by Colonel Aimzat Kartral after the 7th Space War and during the New United Nations Earth power consolidation, the GX-9901-DX Gundam Double X was constructed on the island of Zonder Epta using data from the GX-9900 Gundam X piloted by Jamil Neate. The Gundam Double X was later captured by the Vulture crew of the Freeden and piloted by Garrod Ran. In the final battle of the 8th Space War near the moon, the Gundam Double X suffered massive damage when Garrod and the Frost Brothers fired on each other with their Satellite Cannons which resulted in a massive explosion, destroying the lunar station. The damaged Gundam Double X was abandoned in space following the battle.
- Gundam Double X Kato Custom
Illustrations & Artwork
Notes and Trivia
- In Gundam vs Gundam NEXT PLUS, Gundam Double X will have a different victory pose for each weapon the player finishes the enemy off with. Mainly the Satellite Cannon, Satellite Cannon with G-Falcon (Assist), Beam Sword, Beam Rifle, Beam Javelin or fists (L attack).
- In Gundam Extreme Vs Maxi Boost On and its variants like Gundam Extreme Vs 2, the Double X can summon two GX-Bits that follow it and provide fire support. The Double X is also able to use hammer in some combo.
- When the Double X uses its Burst Attack, the GX-Bits will teleport next to it and then fire their own Satellite Cannon at the same as the Double X fires its Twin Satellite Cannons. If there no GX-Bits available, the move will summon two GX-Bits to fire with the Double X and then they immediately disappear.
- While the GX-Bits typically target the same enemies as the Double X, the player can make the GX-Bits shoot the first enemy then the Double X shoots another enemy by quickly switching targets.
- There is an exclusive ability called the Moon System for Double X in Super Robot Wars Z, allowing it to use the fully charged Twin Satellite Cannon when the moon shines. The Twin Satellite Cannon has the longest radius of MAP attack compared to the others in the game.
- Despite it having the twin satellite cannon as its main weapon, in Gundam Memories: Tatakai no Kioku Gundam Double X is categorized as a "short" unit instead of "long" unit. In the game, the Double X is referred to as DX Gundam.
- It should be noted however that the Twin Satellite Cannon can only be used as a charged attack in Awakening mode and as the last attack in its SP attack.
- In some Super Robot Wars series (R for example), together with its predecessor the Gundam X, the Double X can launch a combination attack called Double Satellite Cannon, something never seen in the TV series. Moreover, the Double X can shoot the Twin Satellite Cannon together with the G-Bits in Super Robot Wars R as well. Also, the Double X, along with the Gundam X, does not use a "Moon" system for charging up the Satellite Cannon, instead using a counter system that adds a charge every turn.
- In Gundam Extreme Vs 2 and Crossboost, the Double X can fire twin satellite cannon with G-Falcon docked with it, giving more damage to the enemy while in burst attack.
- 1/144 Original GX-9901-DX Gundam Double X model kit manual
- 1/100 HGGX GX-9901-DX Gundam Double X model kit manual
- 'After War Gundam X Mechanic Drawing Data' Book
- After War Gundam X DVD Memorial Box Booklet - After War Gundam X Chronicle
- After War Gundam X Episode 26, Don't Say Anything
- The Official Gundam Perfect File Vol. 135– GX-9901-DX Gundam Double X Mechanic File
- 1/144 HGAW GX-9901-DX Gundam Double X model kit manual
- 1/100 MG GX-9901-DX Gundam Double X model kit manual
- After War Gundam X Episode 37, Freeden, Launch!