The GX-9900 Gundam X (aka Gundam X, GX) is a limited production mobile suit built by the United Nations Earth, and the titular mobile suit of After War Gundam X. Its pilot include Jamil Neate and Garrod Ran. Another slightly different unit appeared in the manga sequel, After War Gundam X: Under the Moonlight, and is piloted by Rick Aller.
Technology & Combat Characteristics
Built at the height of MS advancement by the UNE, the GX-9900 Gundam X is one of the most advanced MS of its time. It was produced in limited numbers and deployed near the end of the 7th Space War. After the environmental devastation at the end of the war, MS development on Earth became stagnant as humanity recovered; Gundam X and its brethren Gundam series thus remain top-of-the-line after 15 years. Because the UNE no longer existed, there was no regulation over the Gundams and they found new life in the hands of the Vultures.
The Gundam X carries a powerful beam cannon known as the Satellite Cannon. The cannon requires power beyond what Gundam X is capable of on its own, so UNE engineers created the D.O.M.E. lunar microwave facility to power it. When the Satellite Cannon is activated, solar power collected at the facility is sent to the Gundam X via a microwave beam and stored in the large reflector panels mounted on the suit's back, enabling the cannon to fire a particle beam powerful enough to destroy a space colony with a single shot. While the Satellite Cannon is indeed powerful, it requires a lengthy time to charge and fire. Enemy units can take this opportunity to attack Gundam X and disrupt its ability to absorb the microwave beam. During the war, several relay satellites were positioned in Earth's orbit that allowed the microwave beam from D.O.M.E. to be transmitted to any location. However, they were all destroyed or damaged in the war, so this resulted in the Satellite Cannon being usable only when there is a clear line-of-sight to the lunar facility.
Other weapons on the Gundam X include a large beam sword, four chest mounted vulcan guns, and a shield buster rifle. This allows Gundam X to be adaptable and versatile in most combat situations. Both the large beam sword and the shield buster rifle can utilize the stored microwave energy. The Vultures who have salvaged Gundam X units also gave these machines new weaponry such as shoulder vulcan, torpedo launcher, holster shield, buster sheath rifle, etc. The Gundam X was also designed to exploit the capabilities of its Newtype pilot, but was usable by regular humans as well. A Newtype pilot at the helm can use the Flash System to mentally command remote controlled drone versions of Gundam X, the FX-9900 GX-Bits. These GX-Bits are very similar in design to the Gundam X, and in combat, they are used for coordinated attacks. For regular human pilot, the bits are useless as UNE engineers never created an alternative control system for them to exploit the full potential of Gundam X.
The UNE's Gundam series, including Gundam X, has a simple security measure: a G-Controller, a detachable control stick that also serves as the activation key for the mobile suits. However, this is not a strong security measure, as any G-Controller can be used to activate the Gundam. A skilled MS engineer can also hot-wire the system, bypassing the need for a G-Controller to activate the Gundam, and install a new control stick to control the machine.
Garrod's unit was defeated by a Newtype pilot utilizing RMSN-008 Bertigo and then upgraded into the GX-9900-DV Gundam X Divider. The New UNE later created the GX-9901-DX Gundam Double X as Gundam X's successor.
- Satellite Cannon
- One of the most powerful weapon mounted on a mobile suit during the 7th Space War and remains so 15 years later, the Satellite Cannon is capable of destroying a space colony with a single shot. It is powered by a microwave beam emitted from the lunar microwave facility, which the Gundam X absorbs through its chest, and stores the energy in the backpack mounted reflector panels until the cannon is ready to fire. A Newtype pilot is required to contact the lunar facility for the microwave beam. After the first use, a Newtype is no longer required as the Newtype's brainwaves are registered in the system. When in use, the Satellite Cannon deploys over the mobile suit's right shoulder.
- Shield Buster Rifle
- The GX's main armament. The Shield Buster Rifle is a unique weapon that can switch between rifle mode and shield mode. To function as a shield, this weapon's toughness is three times that of other mobile suits’ firearms and, as a result, the shield mode can withstand most projectiles and prolonged exposure to a beam saber. Its rifle mode fires beams strong enough to damage enemy suit. The Shield Buster Rifle can utilize the stored microwave energy and is recharged by plugging into the right bottom side of the backpack.
- Large Beam Sword
- Stored on the end of the satellite cannon, the Large Beam Sword is the GX's main close-range weapon. It is more powerful than a standard beam saber as it utilized the stored microwave energy.
- Breast Vulcan
- Four Vulcan Guns built into the chest below the intakes. Used for direct assault in close quarters and is effective for restraining and intimidating enemies at medium range.
- Shoulder Vulcan
- A small, optional, 4-barrel gatling gun type weapon for Earth-based combat, it is mounted on a hardpoint located on the upper left corner of the backpack, and has a wide angle of fire due to the rotatable mount.
- Holster Shield
- Based on the Shield Buster Rifle, it is essentially the shield separated and semi-fixed on the left arm. It is possible to store the Buster Sheath Rifle within the shield. It is equipped on Rick Aller's unit.
- Geneion Shield
- A modified form of the Holster Shield that features a claw arm.
- Buster Sheath Rifle
- Based on the Shield Buster Rifle, it is essentially the rifle portion separated and enlarged to function solely as a gun. It is equipped on Rick Aller's unit, and a beam sword is stored in the back of the rifle.
- Buster Sheath Rifle Kai
- An improvement of the Buster Sheath Rifle that features two barrels. It can fire two beams with different speeds simultaneously.
- Hyper Bazooka
- A weapon capable of firing torpedoes and a wide variety of other ammunition.
Special Equipment & Features
- Reflector Unit
- Equipped on the back of Gundam X, it consisted of four large panels that unfold into an X shape when the satellite cannon is activated. These panels have a honeycomb structure and can store energy from the microwave beam for the cannon's use. They can also release the energy directly, generating a repulsive force that can be used for propulsion. When utilized in this manner, the unfolded panels face backwards, resulting in a flight form known as "Hovering Mode". It is possible to control the speed and posture in this mode by changing the angle of the panels and the satellite cannon's barrel, and high-speed, long-range jumps can also be performed.
Developed by the United Nations Earth close to the end of the 7th Space War, the GX-9900 Gundam X, along with the other Gundam-type units were used in an attempt to prevent the mass colony drop by the Space Revolutionary Army. One of the Gundam X in this battle was piloted by 15-year-old Newtype pilot Jamil Neate, who used it and the FX-9900 GX-Bits to destroy one of the colonies moving towards Earth. This however only triggers the colony drop. At the end of the battle, Jamil fought his rival Lancerow Dawell in his MAN-002 Febral. During this battle, Jamil's Gundam X lost its left arm and head, and Jamil also lost his Newtype abilities. This Gundam X was later salvaged by the New United Nations Earth, with its parts and data used in the construction of the new GX-9901-DX Gundam Double X.
In A.W. 0015, an intact Gundam X was discovered by Garrod Ran in an abandoned UNE facility, while fleeing with Newtype girl Tiffa Adill from a mysterious man named Reich Anto in his DT-6800C Daughtress Command and two accomplices in a DT-6800A Daughtress and DT-6800W Daughtress Weapon. However, Garrod was unable to activate the Gundam due to the G-Controller being missing. Remembering that he stole a control stick from Jamil Neate's cabin safe earlier, Garrod was able to activate the Gundam X and defeat Reich's team. This Gundam X then became Garrod Ran's private machine, and was later upgraded by Kid Salsamille, Chief Mechanic on board the Freeden, into the GX-9900-DV Gundam X Divider after it was severely damaged by the Cyber Newtype Carris Nautilus and his RMSN-008 Bertigo.
After the 8th Space War, the Gundam X Divider was restored to its original form using parts gathered from various research facilities as well as some newly created parts. The restored Gundam X, dubbed "Unit 3", has its operating efficiency increased by 30% due to a more efficient generator.
In A.W. 0024, a different Gundam X painted in black was discovered in the Sea of Lorelei, inside a sunken Trieste-class that was resting on the ocean floor since the end of the 7th Space War, by Vulture pilot Rick Aller and Rosa the Second. Much to their surprise, they discovered that the original pilot had been kept in a state of suspended animation inside the Gundam's cockpit. The pilot, Kai, later abandoned the Gundam X due to circumstances, and Rick took it for his own. After being damaged by Kai's GB-9700 Gundam Belphagor, this Gundam X was repainted closer to the standard Gundam color scheme by Mana. The satellite cannon, which Rick was unable to activate, became an optional weapon. Its shield buster rifle was modified into two weapons: the holster shield and the buster sheath rifle.
Illustrations & Artwork
Notes and Trivia
- Despite being made around a decade after the original Mobile Suit Gundam, the Gundam X sports the ambient (possibly, APU) hum that is identical to those of the RX-78-2 Gundam when starting up. This makes it one of the few Gundams that have noise when not in motion.
- Although a default unit in the PSP game Gundam Vs. Gundam Next+, Gundam X was removed in the sequel Gundam Extreme Vs. It makes a return as a DLC unit in Gundam Extreme Vs. Full Boost and once again as a default unit in Gundam Extreme Vs. Maxi Boost.
- In Gundam Extreme Vs. Maxi Boost ON, the Gundam X has a Charge Move where it can summon 2 GX-Bits to attack its enemy.
- According to a comment by Kunio Okawara, Gundam X's Large Beam Sword is based on Sasaki Kojiro's sword while the Satellite Cannon's barrel acts as a sheath.
|Gundam X: Under the Moonlight Mechanics|
DT-6800 Daughtress | DTM-7000 Daughseat | DTM-7200 Daughseat III | GB-9700 Gundam Belphagor | GT-9600 Gundam Leopard | GW-9800 Gundam Airmaster | GX-9900 Gundam X | NR-001 Balient | RMS-006 Jenice | RMS-006 Jenice Kai Gaspa Custom | RMS-009 Septem
DT-6600 Daughtap Underwater Type
Alps-class | Mirage | Rosa Rosa | Trieste-class
|Eyes of Space|
DT-6800F Daughtress Flyer | DT-6800HMC Daughtress High Mobility Command | GB-9700 Gundam Belphagor | RMS-012-8 Descem Hornet | RMS-012-10 Descem Mode X | RMS-019 Crouda
|Cruiser / Mother Ship|
Amanesel | Aoyagi-class
|Space Revolutionary Army|