Technology & Combat Characteristics
The GW-9800 Gundam Airmaster was one of the Gundam-type mobile suits developed by the United Nations Earth Forces during the 7th Space War, and is equipped with the same Flash System as the GX-9900 Gundam X and the GT-9600 Gundam Leopard. This allows the Newtype pilot of the Gundam Airmaster to control the FW-9800 GW-Bit units. The suit also has another unique system called the "Trans System", which allows it to transform into a fighter jet-like form known as 'Fighter Mode'. The Gundam Airmaster was lightly armed compared to the other two Gundams, its armaments consisted mainly of a pair of head Vulcans usable only in MS Mode, a pair of nose Vulcans in the Fighter Mode's nose unit, a pair of handheld buster rifles, and optional shoulder missiles. Due to the suit's transform ability, the Gundam Airmaster has superior aerial combat capability, out performing other mobile suits of the time while in the sky.
- Head Vulcan
- A pair of rapid-firing vulcan guns are built into the head and they are most effective in close combat. Although they have low firepower, they are still valuable weaponry for the lightly-armed Gundam Airmaster.
- Nose Vulcan
- A pair of rapid-firing vulcan guns are installed on the sides of the fighter mode's nose unit and they are more powerful than the head vulcans. They are originally intended for dogfighting and aerial combat, but in A.W.15, they are also frequently used as air-to-ground weaponry. Although mainly used in fighter mode, it is possible to use the nose vulcans as close-range weapons even in mobile suit mode.
- Buster Rifle
- A pair of custom beam rifles carried by the Gundam Airmaster as its primary armament. To ensure the mobile suit's mobility, they are made of lightweight luna-titanium alloy and as a result, they only weigh about half that of normal beam rifles, while having equal, if not, higher firepower. In fighter mode, each buster rifle is attached to dedicated latch on the outside of each forearm and can be fired in this manner. In mobile suit mode, they are handheld when in use and stored on the side skirt armor when not needed.
- Shoulder Missile
- A pair of large missiles equipped with multiple warheads can be mounted on top of the shoulders as optional weaponry. They are modified version of missiles found in old UNE weapons hangar. Once in close proximity to the target, these shoulder missiles disperse their small yet powerful warheads, ensuring a direct hit.
Special Equipment & Features
- Trans System
Witz Sou acquired his Gundam Airmaster from the leader of a Vulture group that was impressed with his piloting abilities. Witz used the Gundam Airmaster in order to earn money for his family, eventually joining the crew of the Freeden in exchange for them protecting his large amount of gold. The Gundam Airmaster becomes a permanent member of the Freeden's mobile suit compliment however as Witz decides to stay with the Freeden and its crew. The Gundam Airmaster was later badly damaged during a battle with a pair of New United Nations Earth's newly developed mobile armor, the NRMA-006 Gadeel. It was then overhauled with the resources of the People's Republic of Estard and Kid Salsamille into the GW-9800-B Gundam Airmaster Burst.
Linn, a crew member of the Mirage has her own Gundam Airmaster, which she used to aide Rick Aller in his mobile suit training, as well as defend the Mirage. It was during her defense of the Mirage against Kai in his GB-9700 Gundam Belphagor that her Gundam Airmaster was damaged and given up for sale.
Notes and Trivia
- Gundam Airmaster's V-fin bears a resemblance to part of the helmet worn by Char Aznable in the original Mobile Suit Gundam.
|Gundam X: Under the Moonlight Mechanics|
DT-6800 Daughtress | DTM-7000 Daughseat | DTM-7200 Daughseat III | GB-9700 Gundam Belphagor | GT-9600 Gundam Leopard | GW-9800 Gundam Airmaster | GX-9900 Gundam X | NR-001 Balient | RMS-006 Jenice | RMS-006 Jenice Kai Gaspa Custom | RMS-009 Septem
DT-6600 Daughtap Underwater Type
Alps-class | Mirage | Rosa Rosa | Trieste-class
|Eyes of Space|
DT-6800F Daughtress Flyer | DT-6800HMC Daughtress High Mobility Command | GB-9700 Gundam Belphagor | RMS-012-8 Descem Hornet | RMS-012-10 Descem Mode X | RMS-019 Crouda
|Cruiser / Mother Ship|
Amanesel | Aoyagi-class
|Space Revolutionary Army|