Technology & Combat Characteristics
The GSX-401FW Stargazer is a civilian developed mobile suit designed to explore the depths of space. To accomplish this task the mobile suit is designed with two unique features. First, because of the vast reaches of space, the speed of light limit, and the limited space of a cockpit it is impossible for a human pilot to complete the Stargazer's deep space exploration mission. For this reason the Stargazer's two-seater cockpit is of modular design that can be replaced with an advanced A.I (artificial intelligence) computer that would control the mobile suit. The A.I. itself is a learning computer that uses inputted pilot data to learn proper piloting behavior. This data is acquired from human pilots piloting the Stargazer. To bring out its maximum potential the A.I. requires piloting data that adds up to ten-thousand hours.
The second important feature is its Voiture Lumiere light propulsion system. Different from any other version of the Voiture Lumiere, it can be used to propel the Stargazer Voiture Lumiere. When in used, the system causes interruption to the spatial structure of the surroundings. As a result of this effect, during the battle with Phantom Pain, Stargazer was able to deflect and capture incoming beam shots to create a field of beam cutters. The thick, black seams on various parts of the MS are connected to the ring at the back, and is used as a suplement system to the Voiture Lumiere, they can also help to adjust the MS's balance. The ring structure at the back function as power receiving antenna for Voiture Lumiere system as well as movable thruster. It can separate and move according to needs, granting the Stargazer exceptional mobility.
As the Stargazer is intended as a non-combat unit, it does not have any weapon but it can use the beam pistol utilized by the UT-1D Civilian Astray DSSD Custom for self defense.
- KMS71/J Beam Pistol
- A beam pistol designed by DSSD. It is equipped with a unique variable output system and focuses more on rate of fire rather than effective range or power.
- Designed as an exploration mobile suit, the Stargazer can be outfitted with a removable Artificial Intelligence unit in the area where usually the cockpit is placed. Surprisingly, the A.I is similar in structure to a human brain, as it can learn from recorded operational data of pilots. It can also control most of the Suit's functions, giving the pilot more time to concentrate on scientific research.
- Nanomachine Repair System
- Since the suit is designed for long journeys without any access to repair facilities, the Stargazer is equipped with the nanomachine repair system. As its name suggests, by utilizing Nano Technology, the pilot can command tiny robot (called Nanomachine) to repair the Stargazer Gundam. Giving enough time, this MS can survives even the most powerful attacks.
- "Voiture Lumiere" Light Propulsion System
- The most important technological item on the Stargazer is the "Voiture Lumiere" (or "solar sail") interplanetary propulsion system, which uses the concept of catching solar winds to propel the suit. A laser fired from a DSSD satellite "Apollon A" is fired at 1% to imitate this phenomenon. The "Voiture Lumiere" ring captures these winds with its thin curtain of light particles, propelling the Stargazer and allowing it to build up speed over time as it travels between planets. Following Issac Newton's first law of motion, the Stargazer will accelerate indefinitely as long as it keeps moving.
- Variants of the "Voiture Lumiere" system is utilized by the Martian GSF-YAM01 Δ Astray, ZGMF-X20A Strike Freedom Gundam, ZGMF-X42S Destiny Gundam, MMF-JG73L Turn Δ and MBF-P02 Gundam Astray Red Frame Kai.
- Operating System
- The GSX-401FW Stargazer uses the advanced Guider UNmanned Deployment Autonomic Manipulation operation support system, created for space research purpose. However, its performance in Combat can outstanding most MS of the era.
In late CE 73, the Deep Space Survey and Development Organization (DSSD) developed an advanced space exploration mobile suit, the Stargazer. As part of its exploration mission, the Stargazer was intended to be unmanned and controlled by Artificial Intelligence. This would allow the single mobile suit to reach the depths of the solar system behind the already colonized Mars.
In October CE 73, the Stargazer was stationed at a DSSD station on Earth when terrorists dropped the remains of the Junius Seven PLANT on Earth, in an incident which is later known as "Break the World". The tidal surge caused by falling pieces engulfed a coastal city and threatened the DSSD station, but the Stargazer was safely launched into space. The development of the Stargazer continued with short-range tests of its "Voiture Lumiere" system at the DSSD Troya station.
In CE 74, the Earth Alliance's secret Phantom Pain unit launched an attack on the DSSD station to seize the Stargazer. To fend off the attack, DSSD researchers Selene McGriff and Sol Ryuune L'ange boarded the suit and sent the Stargazer into battle, although it lacked the intended Neutron Jammer Canceller for its power plant. Thanks to its ability to reflect beam weapon fire, the suit destroyed several of the Phantom Pain's GAT-01A2R Slaughter Daggers, until it is confronted by Sven Cal Payang and his GAT-X105E+AQM/E-X09S Strike Noir. The Stargazer again used its beam capture ability and created a field of beam cutters around it, causing some damage to the Strike Noir. Selene afterwards ejected Sol from the cockpit and used the satellite propulsion laser to propel both the Stargazer and the Strike Noir out of the Earth Sphere in the vicinity of Venus. Afterwards, Selene rescued Sven and used the last bit of the Strike Noir's energy to power the Stargazer for its long journey back to Earth. About 27 days later, the Stargazer reached the Earth Sphere and is found by Sol, with both of its pilots having survived.
- Stargazer Gundam is possibly a reference to the U.S.S. Stargazer from Star Trek: The Next Generation. They were both built for Deep-Space Exploration, rather than direct combat, yet had Defensive Combat capabilities. Also, the Voiture Lumiere's propulsion and beam capture abilites show similarities to the Picard Maneuver, a legendary tatic, invented by Captain Jean-Luc Picard, which made the U.S.S. Stargazer, and its captain, famous.
Template:Cosmic Era mobile weapons