The GNX-704T/SP Ahead Smultron (aka Ahead Quantum Brainwave Type, Ahead Quantum Brainwave Type (Smultron), Ahead Smultron, Smultron) is a customized GNX-704T Ahead from season 2 of Mobile Suit Gundam 00. It was first piloted by Soma Peries and then by Louise Halevy.
Technology & Combat Characteristics
One of the custom machines developed from the GNX-704T Ahead, its official name is "Ahead Quantum Brainwave Type", but it is more commonly known by its development codename of "Smultron". As seen from its official name, the Smultron is meant for pilots who can use Quantum Brainwaves, such as the Super Soldier Soma Peries, and it incorporated a control system whereby Quantum Brainwaves can be used to partially operate the mobile suit as well as its equipment. Louise Halevy is able to pilot the machine as she has weak Quantum Brainwaves due to a side effect of her medication. Since the use of Quantum Brainwaves enabled control of the mobile suit via thoughts, which are faster than reflexes, the Smultron is designed as a high mobility unit to capitalize on this characteristic.
To improve the Smultron's turning performance and mobility, it is fitted with a large, uniquely shaped, thruster-equipped backpack. This backpack can rotate 360 degrees around the cone of the mobile suit's GN Drive Tau, as well as turn 90 degrees to the left and right sides. The turning of the backpack to either sides also facilitates the charging of the GN Drive Tau. Additionally, large thrusters are added to both shoulders to further boost the Smultron's mobility. The Smultron's armaments are similar to the standard Ahead's, consisting of a GN Beam Rifle that can be converted into a GN Submachine Gun, GN Beam Sabers, GN Vulcans and a GN Shield. However, the GN Beam Rifle and its GN Submachine Gun form, as well as the GN Shield, are all specifically designed for Smultron's use.
Development of the Smultron utilized data from an earlier Super Soldier-use mobile suit, the MSJ-06II-SP Tieren Taozi. It should also be noted that "Smultron" means "wild berry" or "wild strawberry" in Swedish, and this fruit-based name follows that of the Tieren Taozi, with "Taozi" meaning "peach" in Chinese. Additionally, it seems the mobile suit’s developers chose this name as a related Swedish word, "Smultronställe", carries the meaning of "ideal place", reflecting their wishes for the machine. Besides being a custom Ahead variant, the Smultron also served as one of the test machines made for the further evolution of the Ahead. Its data was later utilized alongside other Ahead variants, such as the GNX-704T/AC Ahead Sakigake, in the development of the next generation Ahead unit, the GNX-Y802T Neo-Hed.
- GN Beam Rifle
- Like the normal Ahead's GN Beam Rifle, the Smultron's GN Beam Rifle is a beam firearm that utilizes GN Particles, but it is larger and developed with the goal of becoming the next generation standard equipment, featuring enhancements such as improved adjustability of its GN Particle compression rate. At the same time, aiming of the rifle and adjustment of its GN Particle compression rate are all controlled through Quantum Brainwaves, making the weapon specifically designed for the Smultron.
- GN Submachine Gun
- The Smultron's GN Beam Rifle can be changed into the small GN Submachine Gun by removing the rifle's long barrel, GN Condenser, sensor, etc. While its rapid-fire capability is enhanced, the power of each shot has been weakened, but the gun still has sufficient power to destroy non-GN Drive type mobile suits. Like the Ahead's GN Submachine Gun, the Smultron's GN Submachine Gun can be stored on the hips when not in use.
- GN Beam Saber
- Melee weapon that emits a beam blade made of GN Particles when drawn. The Smultron is equipped with two GN Beam Sabers like the normal Ahead, one stored in each shoulder, and they slide out of the yellow-colored shoulder compartments for grabbing by the mobile suit's hands. Their performance is equal to the ones used by the Gundams.
- GN Shield
- Like the GN Shield used by the normal Ahead, the Smultron's custom GN Shield is made of E-Carbon and a GN Field effect is applied to its surface, allowing it to achieve high defensive capability. Able to block most beams and physical attacks, the Smultron's GN Shield is mounted on the left forearm and has a shape that does not impair the mobile suit's high mobility. Additionally, it is also smaller and lighter than the normal Ahead's GN Shield, and has a built-in 60mm GN Vulcan for low-power attacks.
- 30mm GN Vulcan
- Similar to the normal Ahead, the Smultron has a pair of 30mm caliber beam guns built into the top of its head. The GN Vulcans have low firepower, but can be rapid-fired intermittently and have high utility value. They are used for restricting enemy's movements, creating a barrage, intercepting missiles, etc.
The Smultron was first seen piloted by First Lieutenant Soma Peries in the A-Laws' operation to sink the reborn Celestial Being's mothership, the CBS-74 Ptolemaios 2, in the Strait of Hormuz. As the attempt to destroy the ship underwater failed, the Smultron quickly launched from the A-Laws' Bering-class aircraft carrier to intercept the GN-007 Arios Gundam that had surfaced with the GN-0000 00 Gundam. While the GNX-704T/AC Ahead Sakigake fought the 00 Gundam, the Smultron engaged in a shooting battle with the Arios Gundam. Using its GN Submachine Gun, the Smultron hit the Arios twice, dealing light damage to the Gundam's left shoulder. The Smultron then closed in for melee combat with its GN Beam Saber, but was interrupted by shots from Katharon's mobile suits and forced to defend itself. The Smultron and the Sakigake subsequently retreated as ordered by A-Laws' Colonel Kati Mannequin.
Shortly after, the A-Laws received a tip on the location of a Katharon military base and that the Gundams might also be there. Soma and her Smultron were among those sent to destroy the base, and easily shot down the Katharon's outdated mobile suits. When three Gundams arrived to assist Katharon, the Smultron was tasked to stop the GN-006 Cherudim Gundam, but it was forced back by the Gundam's shots. Despite this, the Smultron stayed on Cherudim's tail and Soma soon witnessed the massacre of Katharon's members by the A-Laws' unmanned Automatons. Shocked by the horrific scene, Soma and her Smultron did nothing as the Cherudim mow down the Automatons. Even when the order to retreat was given, the Smultron remained motionless. It was only when the Cherdium turned its attention back to Smultron, did Soma and her machine finally withdrew.
Colonel Mannequin's A-Laws team launched another operation against the Ptolemaios 2 after it was picked up by observation satellites. During the battle, Soma and her Smultron led a squad of three GNX-609T GN-XIIIs against the Arios. With support from the GN-XIIIs, the Smultron closed in and exchanged beam fire with the Gundam. While a shot from the Smultron's GN Submachine Gun grazed the Arios' head, the Gundam managed to destroy the Smultron's right shoulder armor. However, Soma pressed on with the attack and the Smultron charged forward with a GN Beam Saber, destroying the Arios' GN Twin Beam Rifle and stabbing it in the right chest. Unexpectedly, the Arios grabbed onto the Smultron tightly, resulting in both mobile suits falling onto the land below. The two machines were eventually recovered by their respective forces, but Soma had defected to the enemy, though official report stated that she was killed in battle.
Warrant Officer Louise Halevy later requested to be the Smultron's new pilot to "avenge" Soma's "death", and received support from Major Aber Rindt. The Innovator, Ribbons Almark, subsequently arranged for the machine's reassignment to Louise to express his gratitude for her attendance at a party for A-Laws' sponsors and supporters. She was first seen using the Smultron in another A-Laws' operation to sink the Ptolemaios 2. When the ship surfaced from the waters and ascended into space using Trans-Am, the Smultron and other A-Laws' mobile suits in the air tried their best to shoot it down, but to no avail. Afterwards, Louise and her Smultron were sent into space alongside other members of Colonel Mannequin's team. Upon locating the Celestial Being's hideout in Lagrange 3, the team launched an assault. During the battle, Louise's squad was assigned to keep the 00 Gundam occupied, but they were completely outmatched when the 00 docked with the GNR-010 0 Raiser to form the more powerful GN-0000+GNR-010 00 Raiser.
Later, Colonel Mannequin's team returned to Earth in pursuit of the Ptolemaios 2 that landed on the ground following the destruction of the first Memento Mori. After discovering where the ship was, the team launched an aerial assault. With help from the Innovator-made mobile armor, the GNMA-Y0001 Empruss, the team, including Louise and her Smultron, got close to the ship and bombarded it with a barrage of beam shots. However, before they could sink it, they were recalled due to an emergency: the African Orbital Elevator was being occupied by ESF coup d'état forces. The team was then placed on standby near the elevator. When the outer wall pieces of the Orbital Elevator fell following an attack by the second Memento Mori that was meant to end the occupation, Louise and her Smultron launched alongside other members of Colonel Mannequin's team to destroy the falling pieces, reducing the damage dealt to the city below. They even worked together with Katharon's mobile suits and the Celestial Being's Gundams.
Upon detecting mobile suits coming out of the Orbital Elevator, Louise and her Smultron followed Second Lieutenant Andrei Smirnov and his GN-XIII to investigate what were deemed to be the machines of the coup leaders. When Andrei was about to shoot one of the machines, Louise pointed out a large falling outer wall piece. Louise's Smultron, Andrei;s GN-XIII, the coup leader's GN-XIII and other nearby mobile suits then cooperated to destroy the large falling piece. After the incident was over, Louise in her Smultron watched as Andrei's GN-XIII shot down the coup leader's GN-XIII. Andrei's GN-XIII then engaged a MSJ-06III-A Tieren All Region Type that he thought was piloted by a coup member, and Louise and her Smultron intercepted the Celestial Being's GNR-101A GN Archer that arrived to aid the Tieren All Region Type. However, the Smultron's GN Submachine Gun was quickly destroyed by the 00 Raiser, allowing the GN Archer to get past, though Andrei had defeated the Tieren All Region Type by then.
Four months later in space, the A-Laws managed to locate Ptolemaios 2's whereabouts and launched a large-scale attack. During the operation, Louise and her Smultron, as well as Andrei's GNX-704T Ahead, were disguised as a pair of meteors that drifted towards the Ptolemaios 2. They dropped their disguise as they got closer, but were quickly stopped by the 00 Raiser. The 00 Raiser then brushed aside Andrei's Ahead and grabbed the Smultron so that Louise can have a talk with one of the 00 Raiser's pilots, Saji Crossroad. The 00 Raiser was forced to release the Smultron when Andrei's Ahead intervened. The Smultron was then protected by the Ahead till the 00 Raiser retreated. The two mobile suits eventually fell back after a brief encounter with the GN Archer. Shortly afterwards, Louise switched from the Smultron to the new GNMA-0001V Regnant. What happened to the Smultron after that is unknown.
- Gundam 00 Official Website Profile
- HG00 1/144 GNX-704T/SP Ahead Smultron model kit manual
- Linearts and Details image in References Gallery
- 'Mobile Suit Gundam 00 Archives Second Season' Book
- 'Dengeki Data Collection - Mobile Suit Gundam 00 Second Season' Book
- Gundam 00 Official Website Louise Halevy Profile
- The Official Gundam Perfect File Vol. 21– GNX-704T/AC Ahead Close Combat Type / GNX-704T/SP Ahead Quantum Brainwave Type Mechanic File
- 'Mobile Suit Gundam 00 Data Archives' Book
- 'Gundam Weapons - Mobile Suit Gundam 00V Special Edition' book
- MS development chart from 'Dengeki Data Collection - Mobile Suit Gundam 00 Sidestory' Book
- Gundam 00V Official Website Mechanic Page
- Mobile Suit Gundam 00V Vol.021 GNX-Y802T Neo-Hed
- Mobile Suit Gundam 00 Episode 30, Homeland Burning
- Mobile Suit Gundam 00 Episode 29, A Reason to Fight
- Mobile Suit Gundam 00 Episode 31, Scars