Technology & Combat Characteristics
The GN-XIII is a GN Drive Tau-equipped mobile suit and a descendant of the GNX-603T GN-X utilized by the UN Forces against the Celestial Being. The GN-XIII is based on the GNX-607T GN-XII, the GN-X's successor, and since older models of the GN-X series can be upgraded into newer models by switching out parts, this implied that some of the GN-XIII units are retrofitted GN-XII units. Deployed in AD 2312 as the mainstay mobile suit of the Earth Sphere Federation Forces (ESF Forces) and the autonomous peacekeeping force A-Laws, the GN-XIII is a general-purpose machine like its predecessors and still relies on overwhelming the enemy through superior numbers even as it is mainly deployed for peacekeeping purposes. With the use of GN Drive Tau-type mobile suits currently monopolized by the Earth Sphere Federation government, the GN-XIII is considered an overwhelmingly powerful machine for most opponents, though an exception is the reborn Celestial Being and its new Gundams, but the GN-XIII still has an edge in terms of numbers.
While inheriting the basic body structure of its predecessors, the GN-XIII has a more refined design, with the GN Particle Generators on its chest and waist, which are for controlling GN Particles, being further miniaturized compared to those of the GN-XII. The continual reduction in size of these devices throughout the generations of the GN-X series is due to mobile suit pilots becoming more familiar with operating GN Drive Tau-type machines that require GN Particles control. Unlike its predecessors, the GN-XIII discarded the specifications for installing the original GN Drive as the performance of the GN Drive Tau has improved to be comparable to that of the original GN Drive previously utilized by the Celestial Being's third generation Gundams. Meanwhile, the reborn Celestial Being has enhanced the output of its original GN Drive to a higher level for its new Gundams. Additionally, the GN Particles produced by the GN Drive Tau are now orange-colored instead of red, and the particles no longer have any toxic effect on human body when utilized as beams. This removal of toxic effect is related to changes to the particles' compression rate.
The ESF Forces' and A-Laws' GN-XIII are also known as "GN-XIII ESF Type" and "GN-XIII A-Laws Type" respectively, and they have different colors – the ESF Type have a blue color scheme, while the A-Laws Type have a red and white color scheme. Nanomachines on the mobile suit's armor's surface are responsible for the colors, and if they are removed, the GN-XIII will be in the same colors as the original GN-X. Besides the different colors, the ESF Type and A-Laws Type have identical basic performance. However, the A-Laws Type can be tuned to match its pilot's characteristics, with many having slightly higher output, and this resulted in better performance than the ESF Type. On the other hand, the ESF Type can be adjusted to match the characteristics of its operating areas. The most common configuration for the ESF Type involves reduced output and suppressed particle consumption so as to extend the GN-XIII's operating time, thereby counteracting the limited operating time of GN Drive Tau-equipped mobile suit. Despite being a mainstay mobile suit, the GN-XIII's deployment numbers are insufficient, and so older, non GN Drive Tau-type mobile suits are still operated by the ESF Forces.
The GN-XIII is armed with GN Beam Sabers, GN Vulcans, GN Claws and GN Shield like its predecessors, but its primary armament is changed to the new GN Lance that can be used for both melee and ranged combat. To handle various operations, the GN-XIII has a variety of optional weapons such as the GN Field Hand Grenade, the NGN Bazooka, and its predecessors' GN Beam Rifle. While the GN-XIII has the same shoulders and waists hardpoints as the GN-XII, it does not have any close or ranged combat variant like the latter, and this is due to cost and training issues. However, an amphibious assault variant of the GN-XIII, the GNX-612T/AA Superbia GN-X, is later developed. According to some sources, the GN-XIII also served as the base unit for the development of A-Laws' GNX-704T Ahead. In AD 2314, the ESF Forces adopted the GNX-803T GN-XIV as its new mainstay mobile suit, and a majority of the GN-XIV units at that time are retrofitted GN-XIII. Even then, some GN-XIII remains in operation with the ESF Forces, and the Colony Public Corporation bought some units (with armament restrictions) for its own use.
- GN Lance
- The GN-XIII's main weapon, it is usable in melee as well as ranged combat due to an integrated rifle function, and can switch between "Lance Mode" and "Rifle Mode". Due to its large size, the GN Lance can be difficult to handle. During melee combat, the lance's tip is enveloped in a GN Field, allowing it to serve as an effective melee weapon. When used for shooting in Rifle Mode, the shaft extends, exposing a dedicated trigger-mounted grip. The GN Lance has four beam guns located near the base of its conical section and demonstrates excellent rapid firing capability. It also has multiple firing modes, including firing beams from only one beam gun and firing all four beam guns sequentially. The GN Lance is equipped with a built-in large GN Condenser to maintain a stable power supply. The GN Lance seems to be developed from the Proto GN Lance first used by the GNX-604T Advanced GN-X.
- GN Beam Saber
- A melee weapon that emits a beam blade made of GN Particles when drawn. Like its predecessors, the GN-XIII stores one GN Beam Saber in each thigh, and when used, the front thigh armor slides down and the saber flips out for grabbing by the mobile suit's hands.
- GN Claw
- Inherited from its predecessors, the GN-XIII have sharp and pointed fingers that can be used directly as melee weapons and their destructive power can be increased through the use of GN Field.
- GN Vulcan
- As with its predecessors, a pair of GN Vulcans are mounted in the GN-XIII's head.  These small beam guns have low firepower, but can be rapid-fired intermittently and have high utility value. They are used for restricting enemy's movements, creating a barrage, intercepting missiles, etc.
- GN Shield
- A defensive armament made of E-Carbon and mounted on either forearm. The GN Shield is also equipped with a Defense Rod at the center, and can a deploy a small GN Field on its surface to achieve high defensive capability. The GN-XIII's GN Shield has the same appearance as those of its predecessors'.
- Proto GN Lance
- Equipped by the GN-XIII ESF Type during the inauguration of the ESF Forces in AD 2312. This prototype weapon is first adopted by the Advanced GN-X, and can be used for melee and ranged combat.
- Time Bomb
- A portable bomb used to destroy a secret asteroid base belonging to Katharon. The Time Bomb is stored on the GN-XIII's rear skirt armor when not in use, and a grip can slide out from the bomb's back to be held by the mobile suit's hand.
- GN Field Hand Grenade
- An optional weapon that releases four disc-shaped objects when thrown. These discs and the grenade's cap then explode and disperse a substance that creates a temporarily GN Field-like effect that renders enemy's beam attacks useless. The GN Field Hand Grenade can be stored in the GN-XIII's thigh in a manner similar to the GN Beam Saber.
- Unnamed Weapon
- An optional weapon that releases electrically charged gas when thrown, causing intense pain to the pilot of the enemy mobile suit caught within the gas cloud. To stop the electric shock, two wire-connected, red-colored components of the weapon have to be destroyed.
- NGN Bazooka
- An optional long-range weaponry, the first "N" in its name stands for "No", and as implied, it is a non-GN Particle firearm and is intended for use in battlefield where beam weaponry are ineffective due to the deployment of particle disruption measure. Depending on the cartridge used, the NGN Bazooka can fire various projectiles including particle disruption shells, GN Missiles, or even beam shots despite its designation. Each cartridge contains 6-7 physical projectiles. The weapon is also alternatively known as "GN Bazooka".
- GN Beam Rifle
- The same handheld beam firearm as used by the GNX-603T GN-X, it can be stored on the GN-XIII's waist hardpoints. While the GN Beam Rifle is not the main weapon of the GN-XIII ESF Type and A-Laws Type, the GN-XIII units bought by the Colony Public Corporation and deployed in AD 2314 used it as the main weapon seemingly due to armament restrictions. The GN Beam Rifle has rapid-fire capability and is powered by a built-in large GN Condenser that is filled with GN Particles prior to launch.
- GN Buster Sword
- The same physical sword as equipped by the GNX-607T/AC GN-XII Sword, it is used by a customized GN-XIII Gunpla operated by a member of Force Avalon in Gundam Build Divers Prologue. A GN Field can be generated on the GN Buster Sword's surface, this not only grant the weapon high cutting capabilities, but also allow it to be used as a shield.
- GN Short Rifle
- The same short barrel beam rifle as equipped by the GNX-803T GN-XIV, it is used by a customized GN-XIII Gunpla operated by a member of Force Avalon in Gundam Build Divers Prologue. This firearm is easy to handle, has excellent rapid firing rate and consumes a small amount of particles.
Special Equipment & Features
- Heat Source Blocking Cloak
- A special blue-colored cloak that the GN-XIII and the GNX-704T Ahead wrap around themselves to conceal their heat sources in space.
AD 2312, four years after the UN Forces defeated the Celestial Being, the newly formed Earth Sphere Federation Forces (ESF Forces) deployed the GN-XIII as its mainstay mobile suit. The machine also served the same role for the autonomous peacekeeping force known as A-Laws. Together, the two forces are said to have around 1000 GN-X IIIs. However, the GN-XIII's deployment numbers were still insufficient, and so older mobile suits were still operated by the ESF Forces.
The A-Laws usually deployed its GN-XIII A-Laws Types alongside a smaller number of GNX-704T Aheads to battle the anti-government group, Katharon, and later, the reborn Celestial Being. The Earth Sphere Federation government eventually placed the ESF Forces under the command of A-Laws to better prevent terrorist attacks by anti-government forces, but members of the ESF Forces who opposed the ruthless methods of the A-Laws came together and form a coup d'état faction. Using the GN-XIII ESF Types, the coup faction battled alongside Katharon and the reborn Celestial Being to defeat the A-Laws.
By AD 2314, many of the GN-XIIIs had been upgraded into the new GNX-803T GN-XIVs. The Colony Public Corporation also possessed several GN-XIIIs, which they bought from the ESF Forces. The corporation deployed three GN-XIIIs to assassinate Marina Ismail, but they were defeated due to the interventions of the CBNGN-003 Union Flag Celestial Being Version. During the final battle against the alien lifeform, ELS, several GN-XIII ESF Types fought alongside the GN-XIVs and other older mobile suits such as the MSJ-06II-E Tieren Space Type.
Lineart & Illustration
- In Gundam 00 S2 Episode 5, when Andrei Smirnov saw Katharon's mobile suits come out, he fires his GN Lance in response; but in the scene when the beam shots hit the mobile suits, the beams were pink instead of orange.
- Gundam 00 Official Website Profile
- HG00 1/144 GNX-609T GN-XIII ESF Type model kit manual
- 'Veda ~Mobile Suit Gundam 00~ "Ultimate" Art Works II' Book
- 'Dengeki Data Collection - Mobile Suit Gundam 00 Second Season' Book
- The Official Gundam Perfect File Vol. 60– GNX-609T GN-XIII Mechanic File
- 'Gundam Weapons - Mobile Suit Gundam 00V Special Edition' Book
- Mobile Suit Gundam 00V: Battlefield Record Mission 012
- MS development chart from PG 00 Raiser model kit manual
- Japanese Gundam.Info Website Profile
- MG 1/100 GNX-603T GN-X model kit manual
- HG00 1/144 GNX-609T GN-XIII A-Laws Type model kit manual
- 'Mobile Suit Gundam 00 Data Archives' Book
- 'Mobile Suit Gundam 00 Mechanics 2nd' Book
- Translation of original GN Drive and GN Drive Tau output data from 'Mobile Suit Gundam 00 Mechanics 2nd' book in Gundam 00 Forums
- Mobile Suit Gundam 00 Episode 26, The Angels' Second Advent
- The Official Gundam Perfect File Vol. 42 World Guide: GN Particles & GN Drive
- Mobile Suit Gundam 00N Chapter 13
- Mobile Suit Gundam 00 Episode 28, Allelujah Rescue Operation
- Mobile Suit Gundam 00 Episode 42, Within the Scattering Light
- 'Mobile Suit Gundam 00 Archives Second Season' Book
- 'Dengeki Data Collection - Mobile Suit Gundam 00 Side Stories' Book
- Mobile Suit Gundam 00V Vol.019 GNX-612T/AA Superbia GN-X
- 'Mobile Suit Gundam 00 Mechanics Final' Book
- GN-XIV Profile on Gundam 00 Movie Official Website
- The Official Gundam Perfect File Vol. 15– GNX-803T GN-XIV Mechanic File
- Mobile Suit Gundam 00 The Movie -A wakening of the Trailblazer-
- Mobile Suit Gundam 00 Episode 27, Twin Drive
- Mobile Suit Gundam 00 Episode 32, Reunion and Separation
- Mobile Suit Gundam 00 Episode 37, Wait for Me in Space
- Mobile Suit Gundam 00 Episode 48, Flower of Life
- Mobile Suit Gundam 00 Episode 25, Setsuna
- 'Mobile Suit Gundam 00 Archives' Book
- Mobile Suit Gundam 00V Vol.009 GNX-604T Advanced GN-X
- The Official Gundam Perfect File Vol. 112– GNX-604T Advanced GN-X Mechanic File
- Mobile Suit Gundam 00 Episode 36, 00's Voice
- Mobile Suit Gundam 00 Episode 47, For the Future
- HG00 1/144 GNY-001F Gundam Astraea Type-F model kit manual
- Weapons Profiles on back of HGBC 1/144 24th Century Weapons model kit box
- 'Mobile Suit Illustrated 2013 [Popular Edition]' Book
- GN-XIII production number from 'Mobile Suit Gundam 00 Mechanics 2nd' book in Gundam 00 Forums
|Mobile Suit Gundam 00N Mechanics|
|United Nations Forces / Earth Sphere Federation / Innovators|
GNMS-XCVII Alvaaron | GNW-20000 Arche Gundam | GNX-603T GN-X | GNX-609T GN-XIII | GNX-803T GN-XIV | GNZ-004/BW Gaga Cannon | SVMS-01O Over Flag
GNMA-0001V2 Regnant 2 | GNMA-XCVII Alvatore | GNMA-Y0001 Empruss
AEU-05G AEU Hellion Ground Type
|Extraterrestrial Living-metal Shape-shifter|
GNT-0000 00 Qan[T]
|Union of Solar Energy and Free Nations|
SVMS-01AS Union Flag Aerotype Sky Package | VMS-15 Union Realdo | YMS-01A Union Flag | YMS-02 Union Blast
|Advanced European Union|
AEU-09 AEU Enact
|Human Reform League|
|Mobile Suit Gundam 00I 2314 Mechanics|
GN-006/SA Cherudim Gundam SAGA | GN-007/AL Arios Gundam Ascalon | GN-XXX Gundam Rasiel | GNZ-001 GRM Gundam | GNZ-001E GRM Gundam E | MSJ-06YIII-B Tieren Kyitwo
|Aircraft / Spacecraft|
GNR-000 GN Sefer
|Earth Sphere Federation|
GNX-609T GN-XIII | GNX-803T GN-XIV | MSJ-06II-E Tieren Space Type
|Extraterrestrial Living-metal Shape-shifter|
GN-007/AL Arios Gundam Ascalon