- 1 Technology & Combat Characteristics
- 2 Armaments
- 3 Special Equipment & Features
- 4 History
- 5 Variants
- 6 Gallery
- 7 Gunpla
- 8 Notes
- 9 References
- 10 External Links
Technology & Combat Characteristics
The GN-X is an GN Drive Tau-equipped mass production mobile suit secretly developed in AD 2308 by Alejandro Corner, a United Nations ambassador and traitor of Celestial Being, whose true goal is to rule the world. It was developed based on the prototype GNX-509T Throne Varanus, which was in turn based on the Team Trinity's GNW-001~003 Gundam Thrones. Thus, the GN-X is also said to be based on the Gundam Thrones. Alejandro took great care to conceal the production of the GN-X – he contacted civilian factories across the world to make the mobile suit's parts and lied that they were for workloaders, these parts were then assembled into complete machines in secret factories within the Orbital Elevators. Thirty GN-Xs were produced in this manner and evenly distributed with their GN Drive Taus to the three major power blocs: AEU, HRL and Union. The three blocs later formed a United Nations (UN) supervised military alliance - the United Nation Forces (UN Forces), which utilized these GN-Xs heavily in the victory over Celestial Being and its Gundams.
Made to destroy Celestial Being, the GN-X was designed for battling the Gundams. Unlike the Gundams where each unit has its own combat specialization, the GN-X is a highly versatile, general purpose unit. Therefore, the GN-X's performance is slightly inferior to the Gundams' in certain situations, but with its excellent mobility, the ability to use beam weaponry, and independent flight capability all due to the GN Drive Tau, it is still much superior to the mobile suits used by the power blocs up till then. Additionally, since the GN-X's basic combat tactic is to rely on superior numbers to overwhelm the Gundams, it is not necessary to have performance that surpass those of the latter. Furthermore, the gap in performance can also be compensated through the use of formations during battles. The usage of superior numbers and formations to fight the Gundams on an even level were on display during the HRL's GN-X team's battles against the Team Trinity, and when the UN Forces fought against the Ptolemaios team.
Similar to the Gundam Thrones, the GN-X's GN Drive Tau is installed in the torso, but the GN-X lacks the Gundam Throne's onboard GN Drive Tau starter mechanism. Its GN Drive Tau is instead activated using an external starter mechanism in a specialized hangar. Compared to the original GN Drive of the Ptolemaios team's Gundams, the GN Drive Tau can only produce a finite amount of GN Particles and has inferior performance, such as a limited operating time, but its ease of production is an advantage. There was a plan to equip the GN-X with the original GN Drive initially, and although this was later dropped, the specifications for installing the original GN Drive remained in the mobile suit's design. It is estimated that with simple adjustments, it is possible to activate the GN-X using an original GN Drive. The lack of an onboard GN Drive Tau starter mechanism is also a remnant of this abandoned plan, as the original GN Drive does not require this mechanism. The specifications for installing the original GN Drive remained in the GN-X series until AD 2312, with the GN Drive Tau's performance having improved to a point that is comparable to the former. As with the Gundam Thrones, the frame structure of the GN-X also serves to transport the GN Particles to each part of the mobile suit's body.
With its four eyes and oval-shaped part on its forehead, the GN-X appears to have two faces. Due to the GN Particles' ability to disrupt radar, the four eyes design is adopted to enhance the mobile suit's visual analysis function. The forehead's oval part contains a large computer for the visual analysis system; this computer is also a sub-control system that assists the pilot in basic operations such as evasion and targeting, and compensates for the variation in piloting styles among the pilots of the three power blocs. This sub-control system is equipped in consideration that the pilots from the three blocs are unfamiliar with operating mobile suits outside of their own military's. Additionally, the specifications of the control system in the GN-X's cockpit can be customized to suit each bloc's pilots, allowing them to operate the mobile suit using controls similar to what they are familiar with. As such, pilots from the three blocs were able to operate the GN-Xs and battle the Gundams without any special training.
Unlike most mobile suits, including the Gundams, the GN-X's cockpit block is at the front of the waist instead of being in the torso. This is because space in the torso is taken up by the large control units of the GN Drive Tau, making it impossible to install a cockpit block there. Compared to the Gundams' cockpit, the GN-X's cockpit has a simpler structure and is fitted with the bare minimum amount of equipment. Due to its high degree of completion and operability, the same cockpit layout is utilized by successive GN-X models and even the GNX-704T Ahead series. Owning to the cockpit's unique location, it is possible for the GN-X's pilot to survive even if the mobile suit's upper body is destroyed. The four protruding units on the sides of the waist and on the chest that collectively form an "X"-shape are called GN Particle Generators. These units were developed based on the Gundams' clavicle antennas and meant to help the blocs' pilots, who are inexperienced with the particle controls of GN Drive Tau-type mobile suits, achieve stable machine control. Another unique feature of the GN-X is that the front of each foot and heel flap can fold downwards during flight and high-speed movements.
The GN-X's versatility and considerations for its pilots are also reflected in its weaponry: the close-range GN Beam Rifle can be converted into the GN Long Barrel Beam Rifle for long-range attacks, while its GN Shield incorporated the Defense Rod as the AEU and Union pilots are accustomed to such a defensive armament. Other weapons include GN Beam Sabers, GN Vulcans and GN Claws. The thirty GN-Xs provided by Alejandro were actually unpainted, with the colors on its body being the natural colors of its armor and structural materials. During the battles against the Gundams, usable parts from destroyed GN-Xs were salvaged and assembled to create functional units. New pilots were brought in to operate these units as well as other units that had lost their original pilots. Despite the key role played by the GN-X in the victory over the Celestial Being and its Gundams, the general public knows very little about the machine and this is due to the UN Forces' strict information control. The UN Forces also distorted the truth about the GN-X, claiming they had developed the mobile suit and refused to admit the machine's link with Alejandro.
Following the UN Forces' victory, the world moved towards unification and the dismantling of each nation's military began, but there were forces that resisted and the UN Forces deployed newly produced GN-Xs to take them down. The UN Forces also developed an ace pilot-use variant, the GNX-604T Advanced GN-X, and a successor unit, the GNX-607T GN-XII. However, mass production of the GN-X only started in AD 2311, when the UN transformed into the Earth Sphere Federation. It was suggested that the 3-year gap was because the UN needed time to analyze the technology of the GN-X and prepare the production lines. The GN-X model mass produced in AD 2311 was known as the GNX-603T GN-X ESF Type and it was meant to be the primary mobile suit of the Earth Sphere Federation Army that would be officially established a year later. This model was unfortunately soon replaced by the GN-XII for the full-scale deployment of the GN-X series. By the time the army was officially established, the newer GNX-609T GN-XIII was adopted as the primary mobile suit. For the GN-X series, older models can be upgraded into newer models by switching out parts, and the continued usage of this series through the years attests to the excellent basic performance of the GN-X.
- GN Beam Rifle
- The main weapon of the GN-X, it is a handheld firearm that shoots compressed GN Particles as beams. The GN Beam Rifle has higher destructive power than the physical projectile weapons of conventional mobile suits, and such a powerful weapon was previously only equipped by the Gundams. Designed for rapid-fire at close range, the GN Beam Rifle's performance is on par with the Gundams' beam weaponry and is capable of damaging the Gundams' armor. The rifle's shots can also penetrate the GN Field if its GN Particles' compression rate matches that of the defensive barrier's. This effect is negated if the particle compression rate of the GN Field is altered. To reduce its reliance and consumption of GN Particles from the GN-X's GN Drive Tau, which can only produce a finite amount of particles, the rifle is installed with a large GN Condenser that is filled with particles prior to launch. Through the use of optional parts, the GN Beam Rifle can change into the GN Long Barrel Beam Rifle.
- GN Long Barrel Beam Rifle
- An alternate form of the GN Beam Rifle, it is fitted with optional parts, such as a longer barrel, for long-range shooting and sniping. Besides an increase in firing range, the GN Long Barrel Beam Rifle also has improved long-range accuracy, but its firepower is unchanged and its rapid-fire capability is reduced. This weapon is also known as “GN Long Rifle” and “GN Long Range Rifle”.
- GN Beam Saber
- Melee weapon that emits a beam blade made of GN Particles when draw. One is stored in each thigh, and when used, the front thigh armor slides down and the saber flips out for grabbing by the GN-X's hands. The GN-X's GN Beam Sabers have the same performance as those of the Gundams and can penetrate/cut through the Gundams' defensive armament as seen with the weapon damaging the GN-002 Gundam Dynames's GN Full Shield and GNW-003 Gundam Throne Drei's GN Shield. Besides having high power, the absence of a blade when the saber is stored reduces hindrance during mission. However, the saber's power can be reduced due to atmospheric conditions and beam scattering/diffusion measures. Additionally, it cannot replicate certain actions of physical swords, such as using the blade to press the enemy.
- GN Shield
- A defensive armament made of E-Carbon and mounted on the left forearm. The GN Shield is also equipped with a Defense Rod at the center, and can a deploy a small GN Field on its surface to achieve high defensive capability. The Defense Rod is incorporated as majority of the GN-Xs are piloted by AEU and Union pilots, who are accustomed to and adept at its usage. When deployed, the Defense Rod pops up slightly and then rotates in an anti-clockwise direction to deflect/ricochet incoming enemy shots. Although designed to defend against physical and beam attacks, the GN Shield proved insufficient against the enhanced weaponry of the Gundams.
- GN Vulcan
- A pair of small beam guns mounted in the GN-X's head, they are similar to the ones on the GN-001 Gundam Exia's forearms. The GN Vulcans have low firepower and their original purpose is limited to restricting enemy's movements, but since their beams can be rapid-fired intermittently, they are utilized to create a barrage and have high utility value such as shooting down missiles. The GN Vulcans are also shown to be capable of destroying the GNW-002 Gundam Throne Zwei's GN Fangs.
- GN Claw
- Unlike the Gundams, the GN-X have sharp and pointed fingers that can be used directly as melee weapons. Furthermore, their destructive power can be increased through the use of GN Field. The GN Claws were originally designed as non-GN Particle weapons and mounted in case the GN-X run low on power.
Special Equipment & Features
- GN Particle Generator
- The four large protrusions on the sides of the GN-X's waist and on its chest that collectively form an "X"-shape are called GN Particle Generators. These devices do not generate GN Particles despite their name, instead they are enhanced, redesigned version of the clavicle antennas used by the Gundams for controlling GN Particles, and can also serve as thrusters. Through their control of GN Particles surrounding the GN-X, they stabilize the mobile suit's aerial posture, allowing it to “stand” stably in the air. They also stabilize the GN-X during vigorous movements, and in essence, they enable the pilot to achieve stable control of the mobile suit. The GN Particle Generators are adopted in consideration of pilots who are unfamiliar with operating GN Drive Tau-type mobile suits that require the aforementioned particle control, and because of this, the size of these devices are reduced as particle control became more commonplace later on. The GNX-U02X Masurao and its derivatives continued with the X-shaped placement due to its effectiveness in stabilizing mobile suit during aerial melee combat.
Mobile Suit Gundam 00 1st Season
The GN-X was developed in AD 2308 by the traitorous Celestial Being observer, Alejandro Corner, as part of his plan for world domination. 30 GN-Xs were secretly built under Alejandro's orders and his accomplice, Laguna Harvey, distributed these units and their GN Drive Taus to the three major power blocs. Units 1-10 were given to the AEU, units 11-20 were given to the HRL, and units 21-30 were given to the Union. These units were assigned to the ace pilots of the respective blocs, such as AEU's Patrick Colasour (Unit 1), HRL's Sergei Smirnov (Unit 11) and Soma Peries (Unit 20), and Union's Daryl Dodge (Unit 22). With the GN-Xs, the AEU, HRL and Union formed a military alliance, the United Nation Forces (UN Forces), for the purpose of destroying Celestial Being.
Not long after, the HRL's Chobu GN-X Team led by Sergei Smirnov debuted in battle against the Team Trinity's Gundam Thrones over the HRL's Guangzhou Base, forcing the latter to retreat. Later, the Chobu GN-X Team headed for the Team Trinity's base in Africa, but Team Trinity anticipated the attack and fired a pre-emptive shot, downing a GN-X. A fierce battle erupted but the Team Trinity managed to escape. In space, the AEU and Union launched their 19 GN-Xs (Unit 21 assigned to Union's Graham Aker was not deployed as its GN Drive Tau was used for other purpose) for an assault on the Ptolemaios team. Led by Patrick Colasour and Daryl Dodge, the GN-Xs gave the four Gundams of the Ptolemaios team a hard time, but were forced to withdraw when the GNR-001E GN Arms Type-E joined the battle. Following the battles, a public announcement was made that the UN Forces had launched operation Fallen Angels to defeat the Gundams.
On Earth, the Chobu GN-X Team continued its pursuit of Team Trinity, but again failed to take them down. However, this did not bother Sergei, who explained to Soma Peries that with the destruction of the African base, the Gundam Thrones' GN Drive Taus would reach their operating limit soon. The Team Trinity was eventually taken out by Ali al-Saachez, who also stole the GNW-002 Gundam Throne Zwei. Sometime later in space, the UN Forces' remaining 26 GN-Xs and their pilots gathered together with Ali/Throne Zwei to take down the Ptolemaios team. During the battle, 13 GN-Xs were lost due to the enhanced armaments of the Gundams as well as their new Trans-Am System. Additionally, Daryl and his GN-X perished when he intervened in the duel between Throne Zwei and the Ptolemaios team's GN-002 Gundam Dynames. This duel ended in the destruction of Throne Zwei and the incapacitation of the Dynames.
After being reinforced by the large mobile armor, the GNMA-XCVII Alvatore, the 12 surviving GN-Xs launched a final assault on the Ptolemaios team. Heralding the start of the battle, the Alvatore fired two powerful, long-range beam shots, while the GN-Xs moved on ahead to fight the Gundams. They then encountered the Assault Container, carrying the GN-001 Gundam Exia and GN Arms Type-E, but were powerless to stop it from speeding past them to engage the Alvatore. The GN-Xs subsequently split into two teams to fight the GN-003 Gundam Kyrios and GN-004 Gundam Nadleeh. One unit from each team was quickly lost to surprise attacks from the Gundams. Just as the Kyrios destroyed another GN-X, a third shot from the Alvatore arrived. This shot destroyed Kyrios's right arm and leg, but also took out a GN-X close to the Gundam.
The GN-Xs battling the Nadleeh were put on the defensive when the Gundam activated Trans-Am, losing three units in quick succession. Fortunately, a fourth shot from the Alvatore damaged the Nadleeh, forcing it out of Trans-Am. The two remaining GN-Xs, one of them piloted by Patrick, took the chance to further damage the Nadleeh. Despite being heavily damaged, the Nadleeh turned to face the GN-Xs and fired its last two shots. At the same time, Patrick's GN-X fired at Nadleeh, blowing its head off. The other GN-X was taken out by Nadleeh's first shot, while Patrick' GN-X lost its upper body to the second shot. The fight ended with the lower body of Patrick's GN-X and the Nadleeh's damaged body drifting away in opposite directions.
In the other battle, three GN-Xs took on the damaged Kyrios and came under attack from the remaining Assault Container attached to the CBS-70 Ptolemaios. One of the GN-Xs left to attack the ship and successfully destroyed its bridge, but was in turn taken out by the Assault Container. The other two GN-Xs, piloted by Sergei and Soma, initially had a hard time fighting the Kyrios, but as the Gundam focused its attack on Soma's GN-X, it was caught off guard when Sergei's GN-X intervened and took an attack meant for its teammate. The battle then ended as Soma's GN-X took the chance and shot Kyrios multiple times, rendering it inoperable.
After the UN Forces' victory, the world moved towards unification and the dismantling of each nation's military began. However, there were those that disagreed with this dismantling, including some of the mercenaries in Moralia. In response, the UN Forces deployed its GN-Xs to quell the mercenaries' rebellion. The mercenaries' mobile suits and the GN-Xs fought in the hilly regions, and the battles ended in the UN Forces' victory. The GN-Xs were also used to protect the Orbital Elevators from terrorist attacks, but the first line of defence seem to be the older, non-GN Drive Tau-type mobile suits, such as the MSJ-06II-AC Tieren Antiaircraft Cannon Type.
In Africa, despite the various measures UN took to support the region, some residents still harbored strong anti-UN sentiments and even took up arms against it. To battle the mobile suits deployed by the armed anti-UN group, the UN Forces launched its GN-Xs. In one such battle, one of the UN Forces' GN-X detected the cloaked GNY-002F Gundam Sadalsuud Type F that was observing the situation. The GN-X was about to attack Sadalsuud Type F, but was sliced in half by the GNY-001F2 Gundam Astraea Type F2 that suddenly appeared. Meanwhile, the battle between the anti-UN group and the UN Forces seem to have ended in the latter's victory, but some members of the anti-UN Group managed to escape.
Soon after the formation of the Earth Sphere Federation government in AD 2311, it was announced that the GN-X was to be mass-produced and formally adopted as the primary mobile suit of the Earth Sphere Federation Army that would be officially established in a year's time. The first unit of this GN-X ESF Type was then unveiled to the public. However, the GN-X ESF Type was a short-lived machine as production soon shifted to newer GN-X series units.
- GNX-603T GN-X ESF Type
- A variant of the GN-X introduced by the Earth Sphere Federation (ESF) in AD 2311 as the primary mass production mobile suit of the Earth Sphere Federation Army (ESF Army) that would be officially established a year later. Besides its color scheme, which later became the standard colors of the ESF Army, the GN-X ESF Type's performance and weaponry are the same as the GN-X's. The first unit of the GN-X ESF Type was publicly unveiled by the ESF to allow the general public to know more about the GN-X. This first unit was said to be assembled in a factory within the Orbital Elevator. This factory was soon identified as being previously owned by Laguna Harvey, an alleged accomplice of Alejandro Corner. This led to speculations that while the mobile suit's production was managed by the ESF, the facility used was that of the Celestial Being's traitor. Only a small number of GN-X ESF Type was manufactured in the end, with its production lasting for less than a year, and this was because the production lines soon shifted to making more advanced GN-X models.
- GNX-604T Advanced GN-X
- Sturm GN-X
- A blue and white Gunpla variant seen in Gundam Build Fighters Try and used by Team Gaia Dragon. Its distinctive weapon is a double beam saber.
- GN-X LD
- A white and red Gunpla variant seen in Gundam Build Fighters Try and used by Team Gaia Dragon. Its distinctive weapon is a GN Buster Sword originally used by GN-XII.
- GN-X Wave
- A green and white Gunpla variant seen in Gundam Build Fighters Try and use by Team Gaia Dragon. Its distinctive weapon is a beam bow originally used by the Rising Gundam.
Linearts & Illustration
- The debut of the GN-X is reminiscent of the Virgo from Mobile Suit Gundam Wing, GM from Mobile Suit Gundam, and Strike Dagger from Gundam SEED since they would turn the tide of the battle due to technology and weaponry.
- The formation of the GN-X in Episode 22 parallels the FX-9900 GX-Bit formation from Gundam X.
- Gundam 00 Japanese Official Website Profile
- Archived Gundam 00 English Official Website Profile
- Mobile Suit Gundam 00 Episode 21, Path of Destruction
- MG 1/100 GNX-603T GN-X model kit manual
- Mobile Suit Gundam 00V Vol.007 GNX-509T Throne Varanus
- MS development chart from PG 00 Raiser model kit manual
- MS development chart from 'Gundam Weapons - Mobile Suit Gundam 00V Special Edition' Book
- HG00 1/144 GNX-603T GN-X model kit manual
- The Official Gundam Perfect File Vol. 5– GNX-603T GN-X Mechanic File
- Mobile Suit Gundam 00N Chapter 4
- Mobile Suit Gundam 00 Episode 20, Blade of Reformation
- 'Veda ~Mobile Suit Gundam 00~ “Ultimate” Art Works II' Book
- 'Mobile Suit Gundam 00 Mechanics 1st' Book
- 'Mobile Suit Gundam 00 Archives Book
- 'Dengeki Data Collection - Mobile Suit Gundam 00 First Season' Book
- 'Mobile Suit Illustrated 2013 [Popular Edition]' Book
- 'Mobile Suit Illustrated 2015' Book
- Mobile Suit Gundam 00 Episode 22, Trans-Am
- Mobile Suit Gundam 00 Episode 23, Stop the World
- Mobile Suit Gundam 00 Episode 24, Endless Poem
- 'Mobile Suit Gundam 00 Data Archives' Book
- The Official Gundam Perfect File Vol. 42 World Guide: GN Particles & GN Drive
- Mobile Suit Gundam 00 Episode 25, Setsuna
- 'Mobile Suit Gundam 00 Mechanics Final' Book
- The Official Gundam Perfect File Vol. 9– GNX-704T Ahead Mechanic File
- 'Mobile Suit Gundam 00 Archives Second Season' Book
- Mobile Suit Gundam 00V Vol.009 GNX-604T Advanced GN-X
- Mobile Suit Gundam 00N Chapter 13
- 'Dengeki Data Collection - Mobile Suit Gundam 00 Side Stories' Book
- 'Gundam Weapons - Mobile Suit Gundam 00V Special Edition' Book
- Mobile Suit Gundam 00F Chapter 8
- Mobile Suit Gundam 00F Chapter 11
- Mobile Suit Gundam 00F Chapter 13
- The Official Gundam Perfect File Vol. 123– SVMS-01O Over Flag ESF Type/GNX-603T GN-X ESF Type Mechanic File
- Mobile Suit Gundam 00V: Battlefield Record Chapter 12
- Mobile Suit Gundam 00 Novel 3
- Mobile Suit Gundam 00 Episode 20 to 25
- Mobile Suit Gundam 00F Chapter 8 to 12
|Mobile Suit Gundam 00N Mechanics|
|United Nations Forces / Earth Sphere Federation / Innovators|
GNMS-XCVII Alvaaron | GNW-20000 Arche Gundam | GNX-603T GN-X | GNX-609T GN-XIII | GNX-803T GN-XIV | GNZ-004/BW Gaga Cannon | SVMS-01O Over Flag
GNMA-0001V2 Regnant 2 | GNMA-XCVII Alvatore | GNMA-Y0001 Empruss
AEU-05G AEU Hellion Ground Type
|Extraterrestrial Living-metal Shape-shifter|
GNT-0000 00 Qan［T］
|Union of Solar Energy and Free Nations|
SVMS-01AS Union Flag Aerotype Sky Package | VMS-15 Union Realdo | YMS-01A Union Flag | YMS-02 Union Blast
|Advanced European Union|
AEU-09 AEU Enact
|Human Reform League|