The GNW-20000 Arche Gundam (aka Arche Gundam, Arche) is a mobile suit introduced in the second season of Mobile Suit Gundam 00. It is the successor of the GNW-002 Gundam Throne Zwei and is piloted by Ali al-Saachez.
Technology & Combat Characteristics
A mobile suit built exclusively for the mercenary Ali al-Saachez, the Arche Gundam is based on the design data of the GNW-002 Gundam Throne Zwei, and is the final Throne series machine fielded in battle. It was developed by the Innovators, an Innovade faction led by Ribbons Almark, who was also Ali al-Saachez's sponsor. The advanced technologies of the Innovators were thus generously incorporated into the mobile suit. The Arche inherited many of Throne Zwei's features, but its basic performance had been so greatly enhanced that it evolved into a completely different machine. Additionally, due to the lengthening of its four limbs, the mobile suit had deviated a little from the conventional humanoid shape, giving it a unique look and enabling it to engage in close quarter mobile suit combat in unconventional ways.
Like the Throne Zwei, the Arche adopted a body frame that allows the flow of GN Particles within it, and had an oval-shaped cockpit in the chest, but the interior of the cockpit differed slightly. While the Arche utilized the same model of GN Drive Tau as the Throne Zwei's that produces red-colored GN Particles, it has three GN Drive Taus instead of its predecessor's singe unit, granting it overwhelming output. The Arche has one GN Drive Tau mounted in its chest and one in each leg. The legs of the Arche also featured front armor that can slide outwards to reveal vents for scattering GN Particles, and there were claims that these scattered particles can be used to generate an effect similar to the GNW-003 Gundam Throne Drei's GN Stealth Field.
With a sensor in the protruding forehead, and four smaller slit-type camera eyes below, the Arche's head unit is barely recognizable as a Gundam-type's. In fact, its head was said to resemble that of the GNX-603T GN-X, a mobile suit developed from the three Gundam Thrones. It was theorized that the four slit-type camera eyes might be due to technology feedback from the GN-X. During an emergency, the head of the Arche can detach from the mobile suit's body together with the cockpit block and backpack to form a Core Fighter for escaping from battlefield. Core Fighter of a different design is also utilized by the Innovators' GNZ series mobile suits, and the technology for such an escape unit was pioneered in the Celestial Being's second generation Gundam, the GNY-004 Gundam Plutone.
The Arche's armament consisted of GN Beam Sabers, GN Shield, and improved version of the Throne Zwei's GN Buster Sword and GN Fangs. The capabilities of the Arche's GN Buster Sword are similar to the Throne Zwei's, but it has a new 'Rifle Mode' for ranged attacks. For the remote-controlled GN Fangs, the Arche is equipped with 10 of them, two more than Throne Zwei, and their performance have been slightly enhanced. Both the Arche's GN Beam Sabers and GN Shield have unique characteristics that enabled unconventional attacks. The pair of GN Beam Sabers are built into the feet, allowing Arche to slash or pierce the enemy while kicking, while the GN Shield can generate a beam shield/GN Field that can be used for both defense and offense. In combat, the Arche was shown to be able to fight and overwhelm two Gundams simultaneously, and this was due to Ali al-Saachez's excellent fighting senses.
At least two Arche Gundams were built, Ali al-Saachez was forced to abandon the first unit and escaped in the Core Fighter when he was defeated in battle by the GN-0000+GNR-010 00 Raiser, he later used another unit when battling the GN-006GNHW/R Cherudim Gundam GNHW/R within the colony-class deep space mothership Celestial Being. Additionally, there are two known variants of the Arche, the GNW-20000/J Jagd Arche Gundam and the GNW-20003 Arche Gundam Drei. The Jagd Arche is a heavily armed version of the Arche capable of battling and destroying a large enemy force single-handedly, while the Arche Gundam Drei is a support unit that combined the Arche's design with the combat support capabilities of the Throne Drei.
- GN Buster Sword
- A huge handheld sword with the traits of both physical sword and beam sword. High density GN Particles are stored in the center of the GN Buster Sword, and they are released the moment the weapon is swung. It is stored under the right forearm when not in use, and slides down into the hand during combat, with the reverse occurring after use. This GN Buster Sword is an enhanced version of the one used by Arche Gundam's predecessor, the GNW-002 Gundam Throne Zwei, and can function as a firearm by transforming into 'Rifle Mode'. In Rifle Mode, the GN Buster Sword remains mounted under the forearm, with a grip popping up from its back for use by the right hand, and the weapon's blade separates into upper and lower sections, revealing the barrel and muzzle of the built-in beam gun. The GN Buster Sword can also be used for defense and was shown deflecting beam shot from GN-0000 00 Gundam's GN Sword II.
- GN Fang
- 10 small, wireless, remote weaponry that operate primarily in the medium-range combat zone, these GN Fangs are also known simply as “Fangs”. Arche's pilot, Ali al-Saachez, controls them freely to engage one or more opponents simultaneously, and their high-speed movements as well as multi-direction attacks made them tough foes for his enemies. Each Fang has an emitter at the bottom for firing beam shots or to generate a beam blade. Like the Throne Zwei's Fangs, the Arche's Fangs are stored in a pair of GN Fang Containers mounted on the mobile suit's hips, but while Throne Zwei's containers are partially exposed, Arche's containers are completely covered. Each container has two openings, one on the left and another on the right side, for the launching and recovery of the Fangs.
- Although the Arche's Fangs are similar to the Throne Zwei's, they are not identical. The Arche's Fangs are improved model of the Throne Zwei's, with differences in appearance and slightly higher performance due to incorporation of latest technology. Examples of the changes include the thin thruster section at the rear being longer, a slightly larger main body with a higher capacity condenser, and the side-mounted wings being moved slightly forward following a review of the Fang's aerial mobility. Despite various improvements, data indicated that the difference in performance between Arche's and Throne Zwei's Fangs was within 5% However, it was said the Arche's pilot experienced a significant change in performance.
- GN Beam Saber
- A close combat weapon that emits a beam blade made of GN Particles. Unlike the ones used by Throne Zwei which were stored on the shoulders and held in hand during use, Arche's GN Beam Sabers are built into the tip of the feet, one per foot. This allowed the Arche to slash or pierce the enemy with a kick. When using the GN Beam Saber, the white-colored tip of the foot extends to deploy the beam blade. Since this white-colored section is able to swivel vertically to a certain extent, the GN Beam Saber can be used against enemies from different directions. The pair of GN Beam Sabers were noted to be effective in close combat with multiple enemies, and with their placement being difficult to spot from the outside, they also serve as hidden weapons, enabling surprise attacks. Overall, close combat using the feet-mounted GN Beam Sabers deviated from the norm, and can be difficult to deal with even for ace pilots and Gundam Meisters.
- GN Shield
- A defensive armament mounted on the left forearm. Besides functioning as a normal physical shield that can block beam shots, the two red sections at the sides can rotate forward to generate a beam shield/GN Field that can be used for both defense and offense. This enabled unconventional tactics as it became possible to use the same armament to attack enemies while defending.
Special Equipment & Features
- Core Fighter
- In an emergency, the Arche's chest-mounted cockpit block, head, and backpack can jointly separate from the mobile suit's body and then transform into an escape unit known as “Core Fighter”. The transformation process consisted of the cockpit block and head folding under the backpack, the Core Fighter's wings unfolding, and the ejection of the long fin at the rear of the backpack. Although the Arche's Core Fighter has the same design concept as the one installed in most of the Innovators' GNZ series mobile suits, it does not have a GN Drive Tau like the latter, so it relied on the stored GN Particles within its GN Condenser for short duration flight.
- The operating system of the Innovators' GNZ series mobile suiits (such as the GNZ-003 Gadessa) is linked to Veda, allowing these machines and their pilots to receive support from the quantum processing system, enhancing their performance. Arche was implied to have similar operating system, as like the GNZ series mobile suits, it ceased functioning after the GN-009 Seraphim Gundam's activated its Trial System to forcibly shut down all enemy units linked to Veda.
- A system that allows a Mobile Weapon's pilot to control the machine's remote weaponry.
The history and exploits of the Arche can be found on Ali al-Saachez's page.
Notes & Trivia
- The name Arche comes from Greek "archē", the singular form of "archai", meaning "Principalities", the seventh order of angels in the Christian angel hierarchy.
- In the TV aired version of Season 2 Episode 9, the Arche was erroneously showed at first to be using the same orange colored GN Particles as the other standard Season 2 Tau Drive units before suddenly changing to its red color midway through the battle against Seravee and 00 Gundam. This animation error was fixed in the home release versions. On a similar note, the High Grade 1/144 Arche Gundam kit's box art also showcases Arche using the standard Season 2 Tau color for its emissions instead of the red color particles it had in the anime.
- Television Series
- Mobile Suit Gundam 00
- Gundam 00 Official Website Arche Gundam Profile
- HG00 1/144 GNW-20000 Arche Gundam model kit manual
- 'Mobile Suit Gundam 00 Archives Second Season' Book
- 'Gundam Mobile Suit Bible Vol. 75 – GNW-001~003/Gundam Throne (Eins/Zwei/Drei)' Book
- Mobile Suit Gundam 00 Episode 39, I Can Hear a Song
- The Official Gundam Perfect File Vol. 2 – GNW-20000 Arche Gundam Mechanic File
- 'Dengeki Data Collection - Mobile Suit Gundam 00 Second Season' Book
- HG00 1/144 GNW-002 Gundam Throne Zwei model kit manual
- 'Veda ~Mobile Suit Gundam 00~ “Ultimate” Art Works II' Book
- 'Mobile Suit Gundam 00 Data Archives' Book
- Translation of information from 'Mobile Suit Gundam 00 Mechanics 2nd' book in 00 Forums | Link:  and 
- Information on the side of the box cover for the HG00 1/144 GNW-20000 Arche Gundam model kit
- Gundam 00 Official Website GN-X Profile
- HG00 1/144 GNX-603T GN-X model kit manual
- Mobile Suit Gundam 00P Celestial Being [Krung Thep] Development Report – GNY-004 Gundam Plutone's Core Fighter
- Mobile Suit Gundam 00N Chapter 11
- Mobile Suit Gundam 00 Episode 34, The Indelible Past
- Mobile Suit Gundam 00 Episode 48, Flower of Life
- Gundam 00V Official Website Mechanic Page
- Mobile Suit Gundam 00V: Battlefield Record Mission 013 "Arche Drei"
- 'Dengeki Data Collection - Mobile Suit Gundam 00 Sidestory' Book
- Mobile Suit Gundam 00 Episode 40, Victory Song of the Resistance
- Mobile Suit Gundam 00 Episode 49, Beyond
- HG00 1/144 GNZ-005 Hiling Care's Garazzo model kit manual
- HG00 1/144 GN-008 & GN-009 Seravee Gundam & Seraphim Gundam [Trans-Am Mode] model kit manual
|Mobile Suit Gundam 00N Mechanics|
|United Nations Forces / Earth Sphere Federation / Innovators|
GNMS-XCVII Alvaaron | GNW-20000 Arche Gundam | GNX-603T GN-X | GNX-609T GN-XIII | GNX-803T GN-XIV | GNZ-004/BW Gaga Cannon | SVMS-01O Over Flag
GNMA-0001V2 Regnant 2 | GNMA-XCVII Alvatore | GNMA-Y0001 Empruss
AEU-05G AEU Hellion Ground Type
|Extraterrestrial Living-metal Shape-shifter|
GNT-0000 00 Qan[T]
|Union of Solar Energy and Free Nations|
SVMS-01AS Union Flag Aerotype Sky Package | VMS-15 Union Realdo | YMS-01A Union Flag | YMS-02 Union Blast
|Advanced European Union|
AEU-09 AEU Enact
|Human Reform League|