Technology & Combat Characteristics
The Gundam Throne Drei is the third unit in the Gundam Throne series operated by Celestial Being's second team, Team Trinity. Specializing in supporting the other two Gundam Thrones, Eins and Zwei, the Drei has enhanced search capabilities and unique features like the GN Stealth Field that disrupts radar and communications over a wide area, and a GN Shield Pod for storing equipment for itself and its teammates. Such a support type is not present among the Gundams of the Ptolemaios team, highlighting the different operating method of the three Gundam Thrones that are designed on the premise of fighting together as a team. Due to its role, Drei has minimal offensive power in the form of a GN Handgun and two GN Beam Sabers; it also has a GN Shield for defense. All three Gundam Thrones are developed based on the 0 Gundam, with their systems and armor utilizing the same technology as the Ptolemaios team's Gundams, but they have a different type of GN Drive– the "GN Drive Tau" that emits red GN Particles.
The Gundam Thrones are customized version of the same basic machine, thus they have the same body frame and basic parts, with variations in weaponry, equipment and head design setting them apart. The Drei's head is larger than that of the Eins and Zwei, and is equipped with enhanced sensor system as well as improved information processing capabilities. As the amount of data collected is too much for Drei's pilot, Nena Trinity, to process by herself, she is aided by a purple Haro robot that also assists in operating the Gundam during combat. The Haro is mounted on a dock in the center of the cockpit, resulting in the Drei having a slightly different cockpit layout from Eins and Zwei. This is the same Haro that the Corner Family recovered from a wrecked Celestial Being spaceship near Jupiter about 80 years ago, and data of the original GN Drive stored within this robot played a critical role in the development of the GN Drive Tau.
While the Drei's wide-ranging GN Stealth Field is a powerful stealth/jamming ability, its deployment requires the release of a huge amount of GN Particles, leading to the usages of other equipment to be kept to a minimum to ensure there are sufficient particles. Furthermore, to cope with the widely dispersed particles of the GN Stealth Field, the Drei's GN Particle control range is also much larger than other Gundams'. As with the Ptolemaios team's Gundams, the Gundam Thrones have devices such as a pair of special antennas for controlling GN Particles, but the antennas are located on top of the shoulder armor (next to the GN Beam Sabers' storage racks) instead of being torso-mounted. The Gundam Thrones do not have cables for transporting GN Particles to each part of the body like the Ptolemaios team's Gundams, instead the particles flow within the frame structure of their bodies. Thus, when the coating on the frame's surface is stripped away, a luminescence effect due to the particles within can be observed. The same system is also adopted in the cockpit's frame.
The Gundam Thrones have a peculiar silhouette compared to other Gundams and this is due to the GN Drive Tau being integrated as part of their main frame to reduce weight. The torso-mounted GN Drive Tau also serves as the body's central unit with the other body parts placed around it. The GN Drive Tau is functionally identical to the original GN Drive, but does not operate semi-perpetually, instead it requires input of electrical energy to function and produce GN Particles. Hence, the GN Drive Tau has limited operating time, affecting the Gundam Thrones' operations. This inferiority of the GN Drive Tau is due to the inability to recreate the original GN Drive's special core component; however, the GN Drive Tau is easier to produce. Unique to the Gundam Thrones' GN Drive Tau is an onboard starter mechanism not present in subsequent GN Drive Tau-powered machines. The red GN Particles produced by the GN Drive Tau are multifunctional like the green GN Particles from the original GN Drive. Although the red GN Particles are generally safe, they have a toxic effect when utilized as beams, causing cellular defects that prevent the application of regeneration treatment to injury site, and this is due to the particles' compression rate.
Alejandro Corner, United Nations ambassador, one of Celestial Being observers and a member of the aforementioned Corner Family, masterminded the creation of Team Trinity and Gundam Thrones without informing Celestial Being, with the machines secretly built by Laguna Harvey in the factories within the Orbital Elevators based on his instructions. However, Alejandro's intention was not to help the organization, but to further his and his family's ambition of world domination. The Gundam Thrones have the same body frame and basic parts for ease of production and as a test for future mass production. Multiple parts of the Gundam Thrones are utilized in building the Throne Varanus, which is the prototype of the GN-X, a mass production mobile suit later provided by Alejandro to the three major powers opposing Celestial Being. The Gundam Thrones are therefore regarded as the basis for the GN-X.
Following the lost of Eins and Zwei, and death of her brothers, Drei and Nena are taken in by Wang Liu Mei, an agent of Celestial Being. Four years later in AD 2312, Nena continues piloting the Drei while in service of Wang. Although Drei is now considered an old model unable to fight on an even level with the current GN Drive Tau-powered mobile suits, its specialized functions still have high potential. Thus, it no longer actively participates in combat and is instead utilized for intelligence gathering activities. This is usually done with the Drei hidden in the mobile armor, Liang. When needed, Drei can add the Liang's GN Long Rifle to its armament. During this time, Nena also contacted a member of the Innovators, Regene Regetta, to seek a more powerful mobile suit to avenge her brothers' death. This resulted in the Arche Gundam Drei, which combines the Drei's combat support capabilities with the design of the Arche Gundam.
- GN Handgun
- Mounted on the Drei's right forearm, this beam firearm is also equipped by Zwei. However, due to a reduction in GN Particle consumption, the firepower of Drei's GN Handgun is inferior to Zwei's, but it is still capable of destroying enemy mobile suit, mobile armor, and mobile suit space carrier. The GN Handgun is also used for docking with and transference of GN Particles to Eins, increasing the firepower of the latter's GN Launcher. To do so, the lower part of the GN Handgun slides down and a hidden section with extendable cable is deployed to plug into one of two concealed ports in Eins' backpack.
- GN Beam Saber
- Melee weapon that emits a beam blade made of GN Particles when used. A pair of GN Beam Sabers are stored on top of Drei's shoulders and they utilized the same technology as those of the Ptolemaios team's Gundams'. However, this model, which is also equipped by Eins and Zwei, has higher destructive power due to its larger size. The weapon's GN Particles are supplied from Drei, but as it has a small GN Condenser within, its beam blade does not dissipate immediately when it leaves the Gundam's hands.
- GN Shield Pod
- A small shield attached to the right shoulder that also serves as a weapons rack. It has seven slots for storing missiles, spare beam sabers, and other equipment to meet operational needs. The stored equipment can used by any of the three Gundam Thrones.
- GN Shield
- Attached to the left shoulder, this shield has limited sensor functions. During defense, its surface is coated with GN Particles to enhance defensive power. However, direct battle is avoided as much as possible due to Drei's characteristics. Furthermore, as Drei consumes a large amount of GN Particles when deploying the GN Stealth Field, usage of this shield and other equipment have to be minimized. Two large panels on the surface of the GN Shield can open to release GN Particles when the GN Stealth Field is deployed.
- GN Long Rifle
- A long-range beam cannon belonging to the mobile armor Liang, it can be removed and then attached to the Drei's GN Handgun for use by the Gundam. With the GN Long Rifle, Drei's offensive power is enhanced.
Special Equipment & Features
- GN Stealth Field
- Also known simply as "Stealth Field", the GN Shield and various parts of Drei's backpack units open to release and disperse a massive amount of GN Particles, resulting in the disruption/jamming of radar and communications over several hundreds kilometers. One of the GN Particles' ability is to cause electromagnetic interference when released into the air/space, rendering radar and communication devices useless, and all the Gundams utilize this as a basic stealth function. The Stealth Field is an enhanced version of this function, with the amount of GN Particles released being several tens of times more. The Drei's particle control range is also enhanced by a similar magnitude, compared to other Gundams', to better control the widely dispersed GN Particles. Due to the huge amount of GN Particles needed for the GN Stealth Field, usages of other equipment are kept to a minimum to ensure there are sufficient particles. Besides being used for Stealth Field, Drei can release GN Particles from its backpack units, which are also known as "GN Particle Generators" or "GN Particle Release Units", to defend itself against enemy ranged attacks from the back.
- Dock for Haro
- Small versatile robots with individual AIs that are deployed by Celestial Being for support and maintenance work. A purple Haro serves as Nena's partner and can be placed on a circular dock in the center of the Drei's cockpit. Nena's Haro assists her in processing the huge amount of data collected by Drei's sensors, and like the Haro that serves as Lockon Stratos’s partner, it can also aid in operating the Gundam.
- GN Drive Tau Starter
- The block on the cone-shaped rear exterior of the Gundam Thrones' GN Drive Tau is a starter mechanism. It serves to activate/reactivate an inactive GN Drive Tau and is not present on subsequent GN Drive Tau-powered mobile suits such as the GN-X, which relies on external activation mechanism. The Gundam Thrones' GN Drive Tau is equipped with a starter as they do not have access to large-scale maintenance facilities. The starter also makes the Gundam Thrones easier to operate than the GN-X.
For the Throne Drei's history, please go to Nena Trinity's page.
Notes & Trivia
- Like its "brother" units, the mobile suit's name is derived from two sources. The first part, Throne, is a name for a class of powerful angels who were close to God and dispensed justice according to God's will. The second part, Drei, is the German word for the number three.
- Mobile Suit Gundam 00 Episode 16, Trinity
- Gundam 00 Japanese Official Website Throne Drei Profile
- Archived Gundam 00 English Official Website Profile
- Gundam 00 G-ROOMS Chapter 4
- HG00 1/144 GNW-003 Gundam Throne Drei model kit manual
- 'Mobile Suit Gundam 00 Mechanics 1st' Book
- Book Scan 1 in References Gallery
- Book Scan 2 in References Gallery
- 'Dengeki Data Collection - Mobile Suit Gundam 00 First Season' Book
- Mobile Suit Gundam 00 Episode 18, The Aim of Evil Intents
- MS development chart from PG 00 Raiser model kit manual
- MS development chart from 'Gundam Weapons - Mobile Suit Gundam 00V Special Edition' Book
- 'Mobile Suit Gundam 00 Archives' Book
- 'Mobile Suit Gundam 00 Data Archives' Book
- 'Mobile Suit Illustrated 2013 [Popular Edition]' Book
- 'Mobile Suit Illustrated 2015' Book
- Archived Gundam 00 English Official Website's Nena Trinity Profile
- 'Veda ~Mobile Suit Gundam 00~ "Ultimate" Art Works II' Book
- Mobile Suit Gundam 00 Episode 17, Assault of the Thrones
- Mobile Suit Gundam 00N Chapter 8
- MG 1/100 GNX-603T GN-X model kit manual
- The Official Gundam Perfect File Vol. 42 World Guide: GN Particles & GN Drive
- Gundam 00 Japanese Official Website Throne Zwei Profile
- HG00 1/144 GNW-002 Gundam Throne Zwei model kit manual
- Mobile Suit Gundam 00V Vol.007 GNX-509T Throne Varanus
- Mobile Suit Gundam 00 Episode 20, Blade of Reformation
- Mobile Suit Gundam 00N Chapter 5
- Archived Gundam 00 English Official Website Alejandro Corner's Profile
- Mobile Suit Gundam 00 Episode 22, Trans-Am
- Gundam 00V Official Website Mechanic Page
- Gundam 00 Japanese Official Website GN-X Profile
- Japanese Gundam.Info Website Profile
- Book Scan 3 in References Gallery
- Mobile Suit Gundam 00 Episode 44, Shadow of the Innovators
- Mobile Suit Gundam 00V: Battlefield Record Chapter 13
- 'Dengeki Data Collection - Mobile Suit Gundam 00 Side Stories' Book
- Mobile Suit Gundam 00 Episode 21, Path of Destruction
- Mobile Suit Gundam 00 Episode 19, Bonds
- Book Scan 2 in Gundam Throne Zwei's References Gallery
- The Official Gundam Perfect File Vol. 50– GNW-003 Gundam Throne Drei Mechanic File
- Fan translation of parts of 'Mobile Suit Gundam 00 Mechanics 2nd' Book” in Gundam 00 Forums
- PG 1/60 Gundam Exia model kit manual
- Archived Gundam 00 English Official Website Haro Profile
- Gundam 00 Japanese Official Website Haro Profile
- MG 1/100 GN-002 Gundam Dynames model kit manual