Technology & Combat Characteristics
The Gundam Throne Eins is the first of three Gundam Thrones operated by the Celestial Being's second team, Team Trinity. The Gundam Thrones are customized version of the same basic machine, with Eins designed for high-power, long-range bombardment using its huge GN Launcher; this can be thought of as a combination of the long-range shooting function of the Gundam Dynames with the artillery warfare capabilities of the Gundam Virtue. However, Eins is not based on these two Gundams, instead it was developed using the technology of the 0 Gundam. The GN Launcher has two more powerful firing modes when Eins connects to and receives GN Particles from the other Gundam Thrones, Zwei and Drei. Besides serving as a fire support unit, Eins is also capable of mid-to-close range combat with its GN Beam Rifle and GN Beam Sabers. It also has a GN Shield for defense. While the Gundam Thrones' systems and armor use the same technology as the Gundams of the Ptolemaios team, they are equipped with a different type of GN Drive– the "GN Drive Tau" that emits red GN Particles.
As the Gundam Thrones are customized version of the same basic machine, they have the same body frame and basic parts, with variations in weaponry, equipment and head design setting them apart. The most distinctive feature of the Eins' head is the huge blade antenna located at the top. This enhances its communication capabilities, enabling it to serve as a commander unit and strengthens its data link with Drei during bombardments. When compared to the other Gundams, the Gundam Thrones have a peculiar silhouette and this is due to the GN Drive Tau being integrated as part of their main frame to reduce weight. The torso-mounted GN Drive Tau also serves as the body's central unit with the other body parts placed around it. Among the Gundam Thrones, Eins and Zwei have the same cockpit layout while Drei's differs slightly. Additionally, Eins is the only Gundam Throne to have additional optional equipment, namely the "Turbulenz" flight unit that grants high mobility and the ability to transform into Flight Form.
Alejandro Corner, a United Nations ambassador and a Celestial Being observer, masterminded the creation of Team Trinity and Gundam Thrones without informing Celestial Being, with the machines secretly built by Laguna Harvey in the factories within the Orbital Elevators based on his instructions. However, Alejandro's intention was not to help the organization, but to further his and his family's ambition of world domination. The Corner family also developed the GN Drive Tau, based on data of the original GN Drive stored in a purple Haro recovered from a wrecked Celestial Being spaceship near Jupiter. The GN Drive Tau is functionally identical to the original GN Drive, but does not operate semi-perpetually, instead it requires input of electrical energy to function and produce GN Particles. Hence, the GN Drive Tau has limited operating time, affecting the Gundam Thrones' operations. The inferiority is caused by the inability to recreate the original GN Drive's special core component, the GN Drive Tau is however easier to produce. Unique to the Gundam Thrones' GN Drive Tau is an onboard starter mechanism not present in subsequent GN Drive Tau-powered machines.
Like the green GN Particles from the original GN Drive, the GN Drive Tau's red GN Particles are multifunctional and can be utilized in beam weaponry, for stealth purposes as the discharged particles can cause disruption of conventional communication and radar devices, etc. The red GN Particles are generally safe but have a toxic effect when utilized as beams, causing cellular defects that prevent the application of regeneration treatment to injury site, and this is due to the particles' compression rate. As with the Ptolemaios team's Gundams, the Gundam Thrones have a pair of special antennas for controlling GN Particles, but they are located on top of the shoulder armor (next to the GN Beam Sabers' storage racks) instead of being torso-mounted. Unlike the Ptolemaios team's Gundams, the Gundam Thrones do not have cables for transporting GN Particles to each part of the body, instead the particles flow within the body's frame structure. Thus, when the coating on the frame's surface is stripped away, a luminescence effect due to the particles within can be observed. The same system is also adopted in the cockpit's frame.
The Gundam Thrones' body parts have self-destruct mechanism, as seen when the Graham's Union Flag Custom severed the Eins' right arm, and the said arm and GN Beam Rifle in its grasp exploded soon after. Analysis of the recovered remains by Union's Iris Corporation concluded that the self-destruction is to safeguard power-related technology as all power system parts are destroyed. Even so, the analysis provided insights into Eins' armor, internal frame material, etc. These knowledge later proved critical in the development of the Union Flag Custom II, which also reuses the GN Beam Saber captured from Eins in that battle. The use of the same body frame and basic parts among the Gundam Thrones are for ease of production and as a test for future mass production. Multiple parts of the Gundam Thrones are utilized in the building of Throne Varanus, which is the prototype mass production unit of the GN-X, a mass production mobile suit later provided by Alejandro to the three major powers opposing Celestial Being. The Gundam Thrones are therefore regarded as the basis for the GN-X. The Eins' operating data and weapon technology are later utilized by the UN Forces to develop the Cannon variant of the GN-XII.
- GN Launcher
- A huge, powerful, long-range beam cannon with a foldable barrel, it is mounted on the right side of the backpack. It can be fired with its barrel unfolded or folded, with the folded state having higher rate of fire in exchange for reduced accuracy. The GN Launcher gains mightier firing modes when Eins docks with and receives GN Particles from the other Gundam Thrones, Zwei and Drei; it becomes the GN Mega Launcher when connected to one of the other Gundam Thrones, and the GN High-Mega Launcher when connected to both of the other Gundam Thrones.
- GN Mega Launcher & GN High-Mega Launcher
- These two firing modes not only have higher destructive power, with the GN High-Mega Launcher being the most powerful range attack of the Gundam Thrones, they also allow for longer beam irradiation time and are suitable for destroying enemy bases. The Eins' backpack have two concealed ports, one on each side, to allow the other Gundam Thrones to plug in the extendable section of their forearm-mounted GN Handgun for the docking and transference of GN Particles when using these firing modes. The GN Launcher's barrel is unfolded in both modes, and the bottom-rear section of the weapon opens to expose a grip for one of the other Gundam Thrones to hold onto for stability during firing.
- GN Beam Rifle
- A handheld beam firearm specifically for Eins. Although its firepower is inferior to the GN Launcher's, it is capable of rapid firing, thus used in close-range combat and when fighting multiple enemies. The GN Beam Rifle also functions as a part of the GN Mega Launcher and GN High-Mega Launcher, with its top-rear section flipping up for attachment to the bottom of the launcher's barrel.
- GN Beam Saber
- Melee weapon that emits a beam blade made of GN Particles when used. A pair of GN Beam Sabers are stored on top of Eins' shoulders and they utilized the same technology as those of the Ptolemaios team's Gundams'. However, this model, which is also equipped by Zwei and Drei, has higher destructive power due to its larger size. The weapon's GN Particles are supplied from Eins, but as it has a small GN Condenser within, its beam blade does not dissipate immediately when it leaves the Gundam's hands. This is shown when Graham's Union Flag Custom used a captured GN Beam Saber from Eins to slice off the Gundam's right arm. That GN Beam Saber is later utilized by Union Flag Custom II.
- GN Shield
- A shield made of E-Carbon, it is mounted on the left shoulder and also connected to the left side of the backpack via a cable. Through generating a field made of GN Particles on its surface, the GN Shield achieves high defensive capability. As GN Particles are consumed to generate the field, the particle supply to other weaponry will decrease during the process.
Special Equipment & Features
- GN Drive Tau Starter
- The block on the cone-shaped rear exterior of the Gundam Thrones' GN Drive Tau is a starter mechanism. It serves to activate/reactivate an inactive GN Drive Tau and is not present on subsequent GN Drive Tau-powered mobile suits such as the GN-X, which relies on external activation mechanism. The Gundam Thrones' GN Drive Tau is equipped with an onboard starter as they do not have access to large-scale maintenance facilities. The starter also makes the Gundam Thrones easier to operate than the GN-X.
The three Gundam Thrones operated by Team Trinity first appeared during the battle in the Taklamakan desert, with Johann Trinity using the Eins' GN Launcher to rescue Gundam Virtue and Gundam Dynames from enemy forces. After the battle, Celestial Being observer Alejandro Corner held an emergency meeting with fellow observers on whether to accept the Team Trinity into Celestial Being. The meeting ended with unanimous approval.
Later in space, Johann carried his two siblings on the Eins' hands as they left their mothership to meet the Ptolemaios team on board the Ptolemaios. While Team Trinity chatted with the other Gundam Meisters and Sumeragi, the Eins was inspected by Ian. Ian later reported that the Gundam Thrones utilized a different type of GN Drive with limited operating time and the Ptolemaios team suspected a traitor within Celestial Being.
The Gundam Thrones launched a series of aggressive armed interventions around the world, annihilating military bases and even civilian operated weapons factories. Two most notable attacks were the destruction of a Union MSWAD base with the Eins' GN Mega Launcher, killing Professor Ralph Eifman, and Eins' assault on Iris Corporation's weapons factory that resulted in the death of over 800 civilians. The attack on Iris Corporation was interrupted by the arrival of Graham's Union Flag Custom, which managed to captured one of Eins' GN Beam Saber and used it to cut off the Gundam's right arm, forcing it to retreat.
The Team Trinity's indiscriminate attacks eventually resulted in a fight against the Ptolemaios team's Gundam Meisters. During the battle, Eins and Drei engaged Gundam Virtue, while Zwei was busy with Gundam Exia. Elsewhere, Alejandro noted to his accomplice, Ribbons Almark, that the fight occurred earlier than expected. Eins and Drei were later disabled by the Trial System when Virtue changed into Gundam Nadleeh. However, Ribbons forcibly disengaged the system through Veda, allowing the two Gundam Thrones to resume operation. Soon after, Gundam Dynames joined the battle and Johann ordered the Team Trinity to withdraw, noting that Gundams destroying each other would hinder Celestial Being's plan.
The Gundam Thrones' reign of terror ended when the traitorous Alejandro provided the world's three major powers with 30 GN-Xs and GN Drive Taus to power these machines. Using 10 of the GN-Xs, the HRL stopped the Gundam Thrones' assault on one of its base. Team Trinity then stopped receiving instructions from their handler, Laguna Harvey, and not long after, their African base was attacked by HRL's GN-X team. Despite using the Eins' GN High-Mega Launcher, Team Trinity only took out one of the GN-X. The Gundam Thrones then engaged the remaining GN-Xs and somehow escaped. On the run and low on GN Particles, the Team Trinity encountered the HRL's GN-X team again, and managed to flee after Eins fired its smokescreens.
With Team Trinity's usefulness almost at an end, Alejandro decided to finish them off. The Team Trinity ran to an island in the Atlantic Ocean and later encountered Ali al-Saachez who was hired to kill them. Ali immediately killed Michael Trinity and stole Zwei. Using Eins, Johann engaged Ali's Zwei. During the fight, Ali revealed that Johann and his siblings were sacrificial lambs. Despite his best effort, Johann was no match for Ali, and died when the Eins exploded after receiving multiple shots to its back. The remaining member of Team Trinity, Nena Trinity, was saved due to the arrival of Exia.
Notes & Trivia
- In episode 17, around 18:37 to 18:40 minutes, the animators forgot to include Gundam Throne Eins' blade antenna in the animation.
- The mobile suit's name is derived from two sources. The first part, Throne, is a name for a class of powerful angels who were close to God and dispensed justice according to God's will. The second part, Eins, is the German word for the number one.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 Gundam 00 Japanese Official Website Throne Eins Profile
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 2.3 2.4 2.5 Archived Gundam 00 English Official Website Profile
- ↑ 3.00 3.01 3.02 3.03 3.04 3.05 3.06 3.07 3.08 3.09 3.10 3.11 3.12 3.13 3.14 3.15 3.16 3.17 3.18 HG00 1/144 GNW-001 Gundam Throne Eins model kit manual
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 4.2 Mobile Suit Gundam 00 Episode 16, Trinity
- ↑ 'Mobile Suit Illustrated 2013 [Popular Edition]' Book
- ↑ 6.00 6.01 6.02 6.03 6.04 6.05 6.06 6.07 6.08 6.09 6.10 6.11 'Mobile Suit Gundam 00 Data Archives' Book
- ↑ 7.0 7.1 7.2 7.3 MS development chart from PG 00 Raiser model kit manual
- ↑ 8.0 8.1 8.2 MS development chart from 'Gundam Weapons - Mobile Suit Gundam 00V Special Edition' Book
- ↑ 9.0 9.1 9.2 9.3 9.4 9.5 9.6 Mobile Suit Gundam 00 Episode 17, Assault of the Thrones
- ↑ 10.0 10.1 10.2 10.3 10.4 Mobile Suit Gundam 00 Episode 21, Path of Destruction
- ↑ 11.0 11.1 11.2 11.3 11.4 11.5 11.6 11.7 11.8 11.9 Mobile Suit Gundam 00 Episode 18, The Aim of Evil Intents
- ↑ 12.0 12.1 12.2 12.3 12.4 12.5 12.6 12.7 Mobile Suit Gundam 00 Episode 22, Trans-Am
- ↑ 13.0 13.1 13.2 Book Scan 1 in References Gallery
- ↑ 14.0 14.1 14.2 14.3 14.4 14.5 Book Scan 2 in References Gallery
- ↑ 15.00 15.01 15.02 15.03 15.04 15.05 15.06 15.07 15.08 15.09 15.10 15.11 15.12 15.13 15.14 15.15 15.16 15.17 15.18 15.19 15.20 15.21 15.22 15.23 'Mobile Suit Gundam 00 Mechanics 1st' Book
- ↑ 16.0 16.1 16.2 16.3 16.4 16.5 16.6 16.7 'Dengeki Data Collection - Mobile Suit Gundam 00 First Season' Book
- ↑ 17.0 17.1 17.2 17.3 17.4 17.5 'Mobile Suit Gundam 00 Archives' Book
- ↑ 18.0 18.1 18.2 18.3 HG00 1/144 GNW-002 Gundam Throne Zwei model kit manual
- ↑ 19.0 19.1 Gundam 00 Japanese Official Website Throne Zwei Profile
- ↑ 20.0 20.1 20.2 20.3 20.4 20.5 20.6 'Veda ~Mobile Suit Gundam 00~ "Ultimate" Art Works II' Book
- ↑ 21.0 21.1 Gundam 00V Official Website Mechanic Page
- ↑ Mobile Suit Gundam 00V Vol.005 GNW-001/hs-T01 Gundam Throne Eins Turbulenz
- ↑ Archived Gundam 00 English Official Website Alejandro Corner's Profile
- ↑ 24.0 24.1 24.2 24.3 Mobile Suit Gundam 00N Chapter 8
- ↑ 25.0 25.1 Mobile Suit Gundam 00 Episode 20, Blade of Reformation
- ↑ 26.0 26.1 26.2 Mobile Suit Gundam 00V Vol.007 GNX-509T Throne Varanus
- ↑ 27.0 27.1 27.2 27.3 27.4 27.5 MG 1/100 GNX-603T GN-X model kit manual
- ↑ 28.0 28.1 28.2 The Official Gundam Perfect File Vol. 42 World Guide: GN Particles & GN Drive
- ↑ 29.0 29.1 29.2 29.3 29.4 HG00 1/144 GNW-003 Gundam Throne Drei model kit manual
- ↑ 30.0 30.1 30.2 30.3 Gundam 00 Japanese Official Website Throne Drei Profile
- ↑ Mobile Suit Gundam 00N Chapter 5
- ↑ 32.0 32.1 32.2 32.3 32.4 Mobile Suit Gundam 00N Chapter 13
- ↑ HG00 1/144 GNX-603T GN-X model kit manual
- ↑ Gundam 00 Japanese Official Website GN-X Profile
- ↑ Gundam 00F Official Website Mechanic Page
- ↑ 36.0 36.1 Book Scan 2 in Gundam Throne Zwei's References Gallery