The GN-008 Seravee Gundam (aka Seravee Gundam, Seravee) is the successor to GN-005 Gundam Virtue, and featured in season two of Mobile Suit Gundam 00. Piloted by Tieria Erde, it is later upgraded to GN-008GNHW/B Seravee Gundam GNHW/B.
Technology & Combat Characteristics
Classified as a "3.5" Generation Gundam, Seravee Gundam is the successor to GN-005 Gundam Virtue. Like its predecessor, Seravee serves as Celestial Being's heavy weapons assault mobile suit; a combat unit that utilizes heavy particle beam weaponry against superior numbers. While similar, Seravee has been designed to compensate for Virtue's weaknesses and improve further on its strengths.
The suit has two beam sabers stored in its forearm armor allowing for quick draw during combat. The four GN Cannons, located on the back and knees, provide greater fire coverage than Virtue had, and can be combined with the pair of handheld GN Bazooka II for a variety of attacks. Hidden within the four GN Cannons are transformable MS arms and a beam saber each, giving Seravee a total of 6 arms with 6 beam sabers for melee combat. This hidden feature allows Seravee to handle melee combat efficiently, and as additional countermeasure(s) to compensate for its deficiencies. Unlike Virtue, Seravee can generate a GN Field without any dedicated GN particle vents. Furthermore, the face on Seravee's backpack helps boost GN Field strength when deployed. While Virtue had a lag time in between GN Field generation when dropping the field for firing its GN Cannons, Seravee not only can rapidly generate/regenerate a GN Field, but also uses the GN Field to enhance the firepower of the GN Cannons and GN Bazookas.
In emergency situations where Seravee can't fight effectively, its cockpit can swivel 180 degrees so it can deploy its backpack, the GN-009 Seraphim Gundam. This move leaves the Seravee running on its GN Condensers, as the GN Drive is actually attached on Seraphim. Overall, Seravee was designed to play on the enemies' preconceptions that it is another slow, hulking, heavily-armed Gundam like the Virtue, when it is actually more agile and nimble than it looks. Taking advantage of this preconception, all the special features and enhancements of Seravee are often used as a trump cards in MS combat, surprising and defeating unprepared enemy pilots.
- GN Bazooka II
- The new GN Bazooka is an overall improvement over Virtue's bazooka. While it can traditionally fire the weapon as a single piece weapon, GN Bazooka II has multi-function capabilities and enhancements to its predecessor. The bazooka can be split in two, making the bazooka into two over-sized guns for successive firing with minimal time lag. The trade-off is its lack of firepower. This design was intentional due to past experiences with high speed combat enemy units. Virtue's Bazooka might have been powerful, but its beam fire was so slow that it was easy for enemy units to avoid getting shot. GN Bazooka II can fire faster and can be used in conjunction with GN Cannons for extended range and firepower. When greater firepower is needed, the split bazooka can be attached onto the shoulder GN Cannons to enhance it's firing solution in range and power. As a single piece weapon, Double Bazooka, it can fire a particle beam sphere.
- GN Beam Saber
- Seravee has a total of six beam sabers, two in its MS forearms and four hidden within its cannons/MS arms. The additional beam sabers are hidden and only used in dire situations. The power of each unit is the same as of a standard Gundam beam saber.
- GN Cannon
- Four cannons equipped on the knees and shoulders. When all four is fired simultaneously as "Quad Cannon Mode", it's destructive power exceeds that of a mobile suit. This attack is a reflection of the data from the Gundam Astraea's experiment of firing four GN Launchers simultaneously. A hidden ability of the GN Cannons are that they double as transformable MS arms, with their own beam sabers for melee combat.
- Buster Cannon is the bazooka/cannon combination of one the GN Bazookas attached to one of the shoulder GN Cannons for increased firing range and firepower.
- Twin Buster Cannon is the bazooka/cannon combination of both GN Bazookas attached to both shoulder GN Cannons for increased firing range and firepower.
- Double Bazooka is the combined form of the GN Bazookas which resembles Virtue's GN Bazooka.
- Double Bazooka Burst Mode is when the GN Bazookas combine its two parts into a single weapon and then expands to fire powerful projectile particle orbs. Seravee can activate Face Burst Mode for added particle charge to fire. At times when needed for immediate firing, Trans-Am can be used for Seravee to fire multiple shots or for one powerful shot.
- Double Bazooka Cannon is the cannon/bazooka combination when Double Bazooka is attached to one of the shoulder GN Cannons. It's another variation combination for increased firepower and range to attack targets.
- Double Bazooka Bust Cannon is the cannon/bazooka configuration of Double Bazooka Cannon in Burst Mode attached to one of the shoulder GN Cannons. The configuration gives Seravee further increased firepower and range for its GN Bazooka II.
- Hyper Burst is Seravee's most powerful particle weapon attack. Double Bazooka in Burst Mode is used in conjunction with all four GN Cannons. When Trans-Am and Face Burst Mode are activated, a particle projectile roughly 2-3 times the size of Burst Mode's particle projectile orb is created.
Special Equipment & Features
- Face Burst Mode
- Seravee has a hidden face in its back, which is actually the backpack form of Seraphim. Since Seraphim contains the GN Drive, it dispenses excess GN particles when needed and stores the particles when Face Burst Mode isn't used. When high GN particle output is needed, this hidden Gundam "face" reveals itself. When this second face reveals, the lower sides of its "face" vents large amounts of GN particles necessary for immediate GN Field generation/regeneration and works in conjunction with Seravee's GN particle weapons for higher destructive yield.
- GN Field is the most deployed function of Seravee next to Face Burst Mode. The suit can generate a GN Field Barrier on its own without Face Burst Mode. Unlike Virtue, which required GN particle vents for its GN Field, the Seravee's new armor do not have such a requirement. The GN Field isn't as effective against enemy units since the Federation has GN weapons of their own. As a countermeasure, the GN Field often operates in conjunction with Face Burst Mode to increase its GN Field strength and density. When executed together, the emitted particles vent out a white-green color hue and the particle mass is so thick that a person can only vaguely see Seravee through the GN Field.
- Virtue's GN Field at times became a liability when facing various enemy units, as there was a lag time between dropping the field to fire its GN Cannons and regenerating the field for protection. Seravee's weapons were designed to work harmoniously with the GN Field and the GN particles can be utilized to enhance their firepower. The GN particles can form a compressed field and ignite into a particle beam when Seravee's GN Bazooka and/or GN Cannons fire. The combination of additional GN particles from the GN Field in conjunction with its particle weapons can enhance the particle beam's destructive yield.
- A system that temporarily triples Seravee's performance by releasing highly compressed particles. The suit however will have reduced performance in battle after the time limit expires. Starting with this generation of Gundams however, Celestial Being adjusted the system so the performance drop isn't as extreme compared to before. Due to the fact that the solar furnace is installed on Seraphim, Seravee cannot trigger the Trans-Am System on its own after separation. However it has been shown to be able to "stay" in Trans-Am post-separation as long as the initial activation was done while still combined with Seraphim.
Note: Seravee's history and exploits can be found on Tieria Erde's page.
Notes & Trivia
- Seravee is likely named after Seraph, a Greek language word for "burning ones".
- Seravee's base weight of 67.2 metric tons includes Seraphim. That would mean that the backpack-less Seravee's base weight would be around 39.8 metric tons after deducting Seraphim's base weight (assuming the GN Particle's weight reduction effect remains constant after the seperation).
- The "face" on Seravee's backpack is the same face that can be seen on the sword and shield of GN-004/te-A02 Gundam Nadleeh Akwos. The face represents the head of the 0 Gundam.
- Seravee's knee mounted GN Cannons are likely a nod to Mobile Suit Gundam ZZ's AMX-015 Geymalk while its extra arms seem to be a tribute to Mobile Suit Zeta Gundam's The O.
- Seravee's destruction is different in the 00 Special Edition. It is changed so that Tieria was able to put up more of a fight and Hiling and Revive worked more in tandem.
- High Grade 1/144 GN-008 Seravee Gundam [Trans Am Mode] model kit manual
- Mobile Suit Gundam 00 Season 2 Episode 14
- Mobile Suit Gundam 00V Volume 20