Technology & Combat Characteristics
In AD 2307, the paramilitary organization, Celestial Being, deployed four third-generation Gundams with the objective of eradicating world conflicts through armed interventions. The Gundam Kyrios is one of them and its most prominent feature is a transformation mechanism for switching between MS Form (also known as "MS Mode") and Flight Form (also known as "Flight Mode", "Flight Position") which was tested by its predecessor, the second-generation GNY-003 Gundam Abulhool. The Kyrios' mobility and maneuverability are greatly enhanced in Flight Form, exceeding those of the other Gundams and mobile suits utilized by the three major powers. The transformation mechanism also grants high operability, allowing Kyrios to carry another mobile suit on top during Flight Form and a partial transformation where its upper body turns into that of the MS Form's is also possible. Like its fellow Gundams, Kyrios has a semi-perpetual GN Drive in the center of its body that provides almost limitless energy and produces special, multifunctional GN Particles.
Mobile suits capable of switching between MS and Flight Forms are also deployed by two major powers, but they are not designed with mid-air transformation in mind like Kyrios. The old VMS-15 Union Realdo and AEU-05 AEU Hellion (belonging to the Union and AEU respectively) have incomplete transformation mechanisms, requiring parts swapping in designated facilities to operate in the different forms; although their respective successor, the SVMS-01 Union Flag and AEU-09 AEU Enact, can transform in mid-air, this is achieved through a piloting technique known as "Graham Maneuver" (also known as "Graham Special") and not an inherent feature. On the other hand, the Kyrios has a complete transformation mechanism enabled by a control system using the special GN Particles. As a result, not only can Kyrios freely transform within and outside of the atmosphere, it also gains mobility, maneuverability and versatility that greatly surpassed those of other mobile suits with Flight Forms. It should be noted that Kyrios' transformation still requires some degree of piloting skills, but can theoretically be performed by anyone.
The Kyrios' cockpit is similar to other Gundams', but the control system differs due to its Flight Form and the pilot seat can rotate to match the different forms. Another feature that takes into account the Flight Form's design is the mounting of Kyrios' main thrusters, a pair of GN Verniers, on the outer side of each leg. Such a layout is rare for Gundams, where the main thrusters are often located on the back and waist, and ensures the verniers face backward to generate high thrust during Kyrios' Flight Form. The GN Verniers create thrust by releasing GN Particles, and have a mechanism whereby their cores are revealed when being activated and when increasing their output. While all Gundams can fly due to the use of GN Particles, only Kyrios can achieve high-speed flight due to its more aerodynamic shape while in Flight Form. Various sensors are built into the Flight Form's nose unit, giving it high detection capabilities. Due to the nose unit and stabilizer being folded onto the back while in MS Form, the conical rear cover of the Kyrios' GN Drive has a flatter end than the other Gundams'.
Light purple-colored "GN Cables" in various body locations facilitate the supply of GN Particles to each part of the Kyrios and for attitude control purposes via the particles' mass manipulation ability. These GN Particles are also utilized for beam weaponry, generation of defensive GN Field barrier, and stealth purposes as they can cause electromagnetic interference, leaving conventional communications and radar devices useless. Additionally, by maximizing its particle emission and deploying them in front of itself, Kyrios can conduct atmospheric entry on its own. This is because the emitted particles can shield the Kyrios from the aerodynamic heating caused by the adiabatic compression during the entry process. A pair of torso-mounted clavicle antennas serves as the primary control device for these special particles, and GN Condensers are placed throughout the body to store excess particles, ensuring a reserve that the Kyrios can rely on when its operation consumed more particles than what the GN Drive can produce instantaneously. All these GN Particles related features are also found on the other Gundams.
Compared to other Gundams, Kyrios' armament configuration is simple and consisted of GN Beam Submachine Gun, GN Shield, GN Beam Sabers and GN Vulcans, but its high mobility enabled it to display high combat capabilities. It can also mount optional weapons in the form of GN Hand Missile Units, Tail Unit equipped with various missiles and air-to-surface bombs, and Tail Booster with large GN Verniers and GN Cannons. Its MS Form has a balance of ranged and melee combat capabilities, with destructive power comparable to its fellow Gundams, while its Flight Form excels at high-speed hit-and-run attacks. With the Tail Unit attached, the Flight Form can adapt to a variety of missions, and when fitted with the Tail Booster instead, the Flight Form's mobility and firepower are boosted. Like its fellow Gundams, the Kyrios can activate the "Trans-Am System" during an emergency, boosting its thrust and defensive strength, as well as increase its output to three times that of its normal specifications for a limited time period. The Kyrios also glows red as a side-effect, but this system is a double-edged sword as the machine's performance drops dramatically once it ends.
Optional add-on equipment was also developed, namely the Gust equipment that changes Kyrios into the GN-003/af-G02 Gundam Kyrios Gust, which has enhanced mobility, long-range attack capabilities and can operate at up to 600km in the thermosphere. Celestial Being was defeated by the UN Forces in AD 2308 and the HRL acquired the wrecked Kyrios, minus its GN Drive that was ejected prior to capture. A reborn Celestial Being then surfaced in AD 2312 with new Gundams including the transformable GN-007 Arios Gundam, Kyrios' successor with superior specifications. Around the same time, the Earth Sphere Federation's autonomous peacekeeping force, the A-Laws, deployed the new GNX-704T Ahead developed by former HRL engineers; these engineers were selected as the developers partly because the HRL seemingly gained an edge in mobile suit development through the tests they conducted on the Kyrios. Feedback from the data of the captured Kyrios was later utilized by former AEU and Union engineers in the development of the transformable GNX-903VS Brave (Standard Test Type) and its commander variant, which were deployed by the Earth Sphere Federation in AD 2314.
- GN Beam Submachine Gun
- Kyrios' main weapon, it is a dual-barreled beam firearm with an upper and lower muzzle. Usable in MS Form and Flight Form, the GN Beam Submachine Gun rapid fires beams made of GN Particles from its muzzles and is remarkably accurate even during high-speed maneuvers. Although less powerful than other Gundams' beam rifles, its firepower is still sufficient to defeat enemy MS. Additionally, the output of its beams seems to be adjustable. The gun is handheld in MS Form; in Flight Form, it is mounted on the right forearm's hardpoint via a clamp, with its grip separately held in the hand to wirelessly control the weapon.
- GN Shield
- A dedicated shield for Kyrios, it is made of E-Carbon and is mounted on the left forearm's hardpoint. The GN Shield also functions as an offensive weapon as its frontal sections can open up into a claw. This is the preferred melee weapon of Hallelujah (the alternate personality of Kyrios' Gundam Meister, Allelujah) and the claw can extend and rotate to grab/attack the enemy. Furthermore, a retractable blade known as "GN Shield Needle" is hidden in the base of the claw. This blade can easily penetrate and cut through its target by vibrating at high frequency. Even without opening up into a claw or using the hidden blade, the shield's tip is sharp enough to pierce through a mobile suit. The GN Shield's sleek shape was a result of taking into consideration the Flight Form's aerodynamic characteristics.
- GN Beam Saber
- A melee weapon that emits a beam blade made of GN Particles from its hilt when drawn, and is basically the same type equipped by other Gundams. Kyrios has two GN Beam Sabers, one stored on the underside of each rear skirt armor and they are handheld when used. This weapon was only equipped by the Gundams at the beginning of the Celestial Being's armed interventions and gave them an advantage in melee combat.
- GN Vulcan
- A pair of small beam guns located below the green-colored section of the Flight Form's nose unit, one on each side. They have a high rate of fire and can be used for restricting enemy movements during Flight Form, as well as for tactics such as hit-and-run attacks.
- GN Hand Missile Unit
- An optional, versatile, large missile launcher for the Gundams, it is also known as "GN Hand Missiles", "Hand Missile Unit" and "Hand Missiles". Consisting of three triple launch tubes, each GN Hand Missile Unit carries nine missiles and it is said that the weapon can be loaded with GN Missiles as well as conventional explosive warheads. The Kyrios used a pair of GN Hand Missile Units, one mounted on each forearm's hardpoint via a clamp, when destroying the HRL's Super Human Research Institute. With both forearms' hardpoints occupied, the Kyrios was thus not equipped with the GN Beam Submachine Gun and GN Shield for this mission. The GN Hand Missile Units are usable in Kyrios' MS Form and Flight Form. When needed, each GN Hand Missile Unit can be controlled via the same wireless grip as the GN Beam Submachine Gun or attached directly to said grip to serve as handheld weapon.
- Tail Unit
- An optional, multipurpose, weapon module attached to the rear of Kyrios' Flight Form, sandwiched between its legs, allowing it to adapt to different missions such as base assaults, bombing run, etc. The Tail Unit can be equipped with various missiles (e.g. 300kg air-to-ground guided missiles, air-to-air missiles) and air-to-surface bombs (e.g. Napalm bombs). There are 14 hatches on the module's top surface for launching the missiles and two long hatches on the bottom-rear section for dropping the bombs. With the Tail Unit, the Kyrios can also carry the GN-002 Gundam Dynames in prone position to snipe enemy targets. The Tail Unit is made of E-Carbon and often discarded after use to lighten the Kyrios, this is possible as the module did not contain any new technology so there is no need to maintain its secrecy. The module is also discarded when transforming into MS Form. As a shared standard is employed for the Tail Unit's mounting parts, it can be utilized by other Gundams as well.
- Tail Booster
- Like the Tail Unit, the Tail Booster is an optional weapon module attached to the Flight Form's rear, sandwiched between the legs. Used against the United Nation Forces' GNX-603T GN-Xs, the Tail Booster enhances Flight Form's mobility and firepower; the former is achieved through two large GN Verniers at the module’s rear and the latter is due to a pair of powerful GN Cannons at the top. Capable of rotating sideways and pivoting upwards, the GN Cannons can easily destroy a GN-X with a single shot. The Tail Booster is discarded when transforming into MS Form.
Special Equipment & Features
- When faced with heavy bombardment from enemy forces and the GN Shield's defensive capabilities are insufficient, the Kyrios can encase itself in a spherical GN Field barrier for better protection. Created using compressed high density GN Particles released from the Kyrios, the GN Field can protect against projectile and beam attacks. However, it is not impenetrable; for example, the barrier's characteristics can be affected by its GN Particles' compression rate, and beam shots can penetrate the barrier if they match this compression rate. Fortunately, this particular problem can be solved by altering the particle compression rate. When Kyrios deploys the GN Field in MS Form, the Flight Form's nose unit is raised over its head.
- Presumably, like the other third generation Gundams, the Kyrios can deploy an external camouflage membrane over itself when stationary, blending it into its environment and making it look invisible.
- A special system hidden by Celestial Being's founder, Aeolia Schenberg, within the black box of the original GN Drives and is revealed when a betrayer emerged in the organization. During Trans-Am, all of the compressed high-density GN Particles accumulated in the Gundam are fully released, enhancing its mobility and defensive capabilities as well as allowing it to perform at three times its normal output for a limited time. The entire Gundam also appears red as the tremendous amount of GN Particles surrounding and covering the machine as well as those within the GN Cables and in the minute paths in the armor begin to glow red. Furthermore, afterimages are generated when the Gundam is moving. Since Kyrios excels at high-speed combat with its high mobility, it thus has good compatibility with Trans-Am, which further enhances its speed. Unfortunately, the system is a double-edged sword, as the Gundam's performance will drop dramatically once it ended since most of the GN Particles in its body have been used up. This negative effect will last until the stored GN Particles within the Gundam return to normal level, thus usage of the Trans-Am requires careful consideration.
- The Gundams' operating system is linked to Veda, allowing the quantum computer to provide support to the Gundams and their Meisters. When Alejandro Corner gained possession of Veda with help from Ribbons Almark, they used it to intervene in the Gundams' systems, rendering them inoperable. Fortunately, the Ptolemaios team had considered such a probability and had developed a stand-alone operating system beforehand. The switch to this stand-alone operating system restores the Gundams to operating state, but the loss of support from Veda makes piloting the Gundams and completing missions much tougher for the Meisters.
- GN-003/af-G02 Gundam Kyrios Gust
- GN-003α Salty Kyrios
- A customized color variant of the Kyrios Gunpla, it appeared in Gundam Build Fighters Try.
For Kyrios's history and exploits, please go to Allelujah Haptism's page.
Capture & Experimentation
In AD 2308, after Celestial Being was defeated by the UN Forces, the Gundam Meister, Allelujah Haptism, ejected the Gundam Kyrios' GN Drive to ensure it does not fall into enemy's hands. The GN Drive was then recovered by Fereshte's Gundam Meister, Fon Spaak, and eventually handed to the reborn Celestial Being after Fereshte merged with the latter.
The GN Drive-less Kyrios and Allelujah were captured by the UN Forces. The UN Forces' top brass then took custody of Allelujah and sent him to a detention facility on Earth, while the Human Reform League (HRL) acquired the Kyrios and conducted various tests with it. One such test had the Kyrios connected to a right arm made using parts from a GNX-603T GN-X and an unknown Tieren unit. As the Kyrios no longer had its power source, this setup was powered using a GN Drive Tau. It seemed that through these tests, the HRL gained an edge in mobile suit development and its engineers were later tasked with developing the GNX-704T Ahead. It is unknown what happened to the Kyrios afterwards.
Notes and Trivia
- Kyrios is named after Kurios, the Greek for God, lord, master, and sir.
- The Aramaic translation of Kyrios is the title 'Marie', however, it's unclear whether this was coincidence or an actual reference to Marie Parfacy.
- In the early concept stages, Kyrios was codenamed "Bishop Gundam". Like Kyrios, it possessed the ability to transform to and from an MA mode, however it was commented that the actual MA design was radically different from the final Kyrios. The initial, more animalistic MA design of Bishop Gundam went into the finalized Alvatore instead but some traces were left in Kyrios animalistic claw weapon. A powerful stealth ability was also initially given to Bishop Gundam but this ability was standardized in all the Gundams in the final version.
- A customized Kyrios Gunpla with a color scheme similar to the GNR-101A GN Archer appeared in Gundam Build Fighters, participating in the Gunpla Battle racing event controlled by a girl who resembled Soma Peries but with red hair.
- Mobile Suit Gundam 00 Episode 1
- Gundam.Info's Gundam MS Movie Files: GN-003 Gundam Kyrios (from Mobile Suit Gundam 00)
- MG 1/100 GN-003 Gundam Kyrios model kit manual
- PG 1/60 Gundam Exia model kit manual
- HG00 1/144 GN-003 Gundam Kyrios model kit manual
- 'Mobile Suit Gundam 00 Mechanics 1st' Book
- 'Veda ~Mobile Suit Gundam 00~ "Ultimate" Art Works II' Book
- The Official Gundam Perfect File Vol. 42 – GN-003 Gundam Kyrios Mechanic File
- Mobile Suit Gundam 00 Episode 5
- Mobile Suit Gundam 00 Episode 15
- 'Mobile Suit Gundam 00 Data Archives' Book
- Archived Gundam 00 English Official Website Profile
- 1/100 GN-003 Gundam Kyrios model kit manual
- Mobile Suit Gundam 00V Vol.006 GN-003/af-G02 Gundam Kyrios Gust
- Gundam 00 Japanese Official Website Gundam Kyrios Profile
- 'Mobile Suit Gundam 00 Archives' Book
- Mobile Suit Gundam 00 Episode 8
- MG 1/100 GN-002 Gundam Dynames model kit manual
- MG 1/100 GN-001 Gundam Exia model kit manual
- Mobile Suit Gundam 00 Episode 2
- Mobile Suit Gundam 00 Episode 14
- HG00 1/144 GN-003 Gundam Kyrios [Trans-Am Mode] model kit manual
- Mobile Suit Gundam 00 Episode 23
- RG 1/144 GN-001 Gundam Exia model kit manual
- Mobile Suit Gundam 00 Episode 25
- Gundam 00V Official Website Mechanic Page
- 'Dengeki Data Collection - Mobile Suit Gundam 00 Side Stories' Book
- MS development chart from PG 00 Raiser model kit manual
- Mobile Suit Gundam 00 Episode 28
- Gundam 00 G-ROOMS Chapter 9
- Mobile Suit Gundam 00F Chapter 7
- Gundam.Info's Gundam MS Movie Files: GN-007 Arios Gundam (from Mobile Suit Gundam 00)
- Gundam 00 Japanese Official Website Arios Gundam Profile
- HG00 1/144 GN-007 Arios Gundam model kit manual
- Mobile Suit Gundam 00 Episode 26
- Gundam 00 Japanese Official Website Ahead Profile
- 'Mobile Suit Gundam 00 Mechanics 2nd' Book
- 'Mobile Suit Gundam 00 Mechanics Final' Book
- Mobile Suit Gundam 00 Episode 7
- Mobile Suit Gundam 00 Episode 10
- Mobile Suit Gundam 00 Episode 24
- HG00 1/144 Gundam Astraea Type F Model Kit Manual
- Mobile Suit Gundam 00 Episode 11
- Mobile Suit Gundam 00 Episode 3
- Mobile Suit Gundam 00 Episode 6
- 'Hobby Japan Mook Gundam Weapons Mobile Suit Gundam 00 Special Edition' Book
- Mobile Suit Gundam 00 Season 1 Novel 3 “Fallen Angels”
- 1/100 GN-005 Gundam Virtue model kit manual
- Mobile Suit Gundam 00 Episode 21
- Mobile Suit Gundam 00F Chapter 20