Technology & Combat Characteristics
The paramilitary organization, Celestial Being, deployed several Gundams in AD 2307 to eliminate world conflicts through armed interventions, and the Gundam Dynames that specialized in long-range shooting is one of them. Like its fellow Gundams, Dynames has a semi-perpetual GN Drive in the center of its body that provides almost limitless energy and produces special, multifunctional GN Particles. The GN Particles grant outstanding mobility and are also utilized for beam weaponry, attitude control, and stealth purposes as they can cause electromagnetic interference, leaving conventional communications and radar devices useless. The Dynames is a third generation unit developed using the operational data from the second generation GNY-002 Gundam Sadalsuud, inheriting the reconnaissance mobile suit's powerful sensing capabilities that are now utilized for long-range shooting.
During combat, the Dynames primarily serves as a sniper as well as a fire support unit for its allies. Its main weapon is the extremely long-range and powerful GN Sniper Rifle, and when operating this rifle, Dynames is in "Sniper Mode", whereby the Gun Camera hidden in its head is exposed and a precision shooting scope in the cockpit is deployed. The Dynames is however not just limited to long-range attacks as it has a variety of guns and weapons, allowing it to engage in close to mid-range combat when needed, and adapt to various types of missions (including solo mission) as well as changing battlefield conditions. Other standard armaments of the Dynames included GN Beam Sabers on its rear waist unit for close combat, GN Missiles on its knees and front waist armor that can be used to deter approaching enemies, and a GN Shield on the left shoulder for defense. As for optional armaments, it can equipped GN Beam Pistols for close to mid-range combat, a GN Full Shield for enhanced defensive capabilities, and a Super Substratospheric Altitude Gun to snipe targets outside the atmosphere from the ground.
Beside mounting the GN Beam Sabers, the Dynames' rear waist unit can be used to support the Gundam when it is shooting from seated positions and has a pair of propulsion systems, known as GN Verniers, that create thrust by releasing GN Particles. These verniers are also utilized by other Gundams and have a mechanism whereby their cores are revealed when being activated and when increasing their output. Additionally, the verniers can be moved at the point of attachment, allowing their thrust direction to be adjusted. The overall layout of the Dynames' cockpit is similar to other third generation Gundams, except for two differences. The first is the aforementioned precision shooting scope stored in the ceiling that lowers down when in use and retracts when not needed. The second is a dock on the right side for placing the individual support AI, Haro, which serves as a sub-pilot, controlling various aspects of the Dynames so the Gundam Meister, Lockon Stratos, can focus on shooting using the precision shooting scope.
The third generation Gundams deployed in AD 2307 has several common equipment, including a pair of clavicle antennas on the torso that serve as the primary control device for the GN Particles, light purple-colored "GN Cables" on various body locations to facilitate the supply of GN Particles to each part of the Gundam and for attitude control purposes, and GN Condensers placed throughout the body to store excess GN Particles, ensuring a reserve of particles that the Gundam can rely on when its operation consumed more than what the GN Drive can produce instantaneously. There is also the special "Trans-Am System" that the Gundams can activate during an emergency to enhance their thrust and defensive capabilities, as well as increase their output to three times that of their normal specifications for a limited time period. This system also causes the Gundams to glow red, and in Dynames' case, its shooting accuracy is improved as well. Unfortunately, this system is a double-edged sword, as the Gundams' performance will drop dramatically once it ends. 
Additional optional equipment was also developed for the Dynames, such as the set of sub-aquatic sniper rifle and accompanying sensors that change it into the GN-002/DG014 Gundam Dynames Torpedo and the GNR-001D GN Arms Type-D support mecha that it can dock with to form the more powerful GN-002+GNR-001D GN Armor Type-D. A successor machine with all-round improved performance is later developed based on the Dynames' data and it is known as the GN-006 Cherudim Gundam. Additionally, the Dynames that was moderately damaged during the battle with the UN Forces was eventually refurbished into the GN-002RE Gundam Dynames Repair, and deployed on Earth following the defeat of the A-Laws and the Innovators.
- GN Sniper Rifle
- A long-range sniper rifle developed for the Gundam Dynames, it is also the mobile suit's main weapon. It is often used when the Dynames is in Sniper Mode, as the rifle's sensors can operate with the exposed Gun Camera in the mobile suit's head to achieve super long-range sniping. Although it lacks in rapid-fire capabilities, it has enough range and power to destroy a mobile suit with a single beam shot from extremely long distances, such as from outside the enemy's sensing range. It is a firearm with extremely high capabilities and had to be utilized by a highly skilled Gundam Meister with excellent marksmanship skills, such as Lockon Stratos, to perform at its full potential. The rifle is intended for use in various stances and the bipod attached underneath its barrel can unfold to allow firing from prone positions, kneeling positions, etc. It is mounted on the right shoulder when not in use.
- GN Missile
- The Dynames is equipped with 24 GN Missiles, 16 smaller ones in the front waist armor and 4 larger ones on each knee. All these missiles operate in similar manner, their covers unfold after hitting their targets and release compressed GN Particles to destroy enemies from the inside. These missiles are not meant for precision strikes, rather, they are for use against large group of enemies, to restrict enemies' movements, or to deter enemies from closing in. They have immense firepower when fired at once, as seen when all the smaller GN Missiles are launched to destroyed a mobile suit space transport ship.
- GN Beam Saber
- A melee weapon that emits a beam blade from its hilt when drawn, one is mounted on the left and right sides of the Dynames' rear waist unit, and they have the same capabilities as those of other Gundams'. As the Dynames is not intended for aggressive melee combat and usually keep its distance from incoming enemies with a barrage of beam shots and missiles, the pair of sabers were only used when enemies came into close proximity. Because of this and as the optional GN Beam Pistols can also be used for melee combat, Lockon thus proposed removing the sabers, but was rejected by Ian. Ian gave three reasons, firstly, the sabers have been prepared, secondly, they are lightweight and would not hinder the Dynames' movements, and thirdly, depending on changes on the battlefield, there may be situations where it is necessary to use them. After further thoughts, Lockon decided it is better to be safe than sorry and did not argue anymore. Lockon later used the sabers on at least two occasions, losing a bet he made with Ian about not using these weapons.
- GN Shield
- A small shield made of E-Carbon, it is attached to the shoulder frame and not arm-mounted as the GN Sniper Rifle requires both arms to hold. As the shoulder frame can be individually articulated, the shield has certain degree of movement and thus its field of defense can be adjusted. Usually only attached to the left shoulder, the GN Shield can be equipped on both shoulders depending on the mission.
- GN Full Shield
- Optional armament attached to the frames on both shoulders, this mantle-shaped armor is a variant of the GN Shield with larger shield pieces and have higher defensive capabilities. Thanks to the individually articulated shoulder frames, the GN Full Shield can rotate to protect the front, sides, or rear. It can also cover half of the Gundam's body, while the other half is exposed for shooting at enemies. The Dynames' movement is restricted when the GN Full Shield is fully deployed in front, but this state realizes comprehensive frontal protection as almost the entire front of the Gundam is covered. Some of Dynames' firearms remain usable in this state as sections of the GN Full Shield can flip open outwards. Haro is capable of controlling the GN Full Shield so the Gundam Meister can focus on sniping. Development of the GN Full Shield took longer than expected as striking a balance between making it lightweight and the amount of energy consumed for the generation of GN Field on its surface was challenging.
- GN Beam Pistol
- Optional, small beam firearms that are equipped depending on the mission. The Dynames can carry a total of two GN Beam Pistols, which are stored in designated holster attached to each leg. Fitted with a small GN Condenser, the GN Beam Pistol's range and firepower are inferior to those of the GN Sniper Rifle, but it has excellent rapid-fire capabilities, ease of handling and sufficient firepower to destroy or fend off enemy mobile suits. The GN Beam Pistols can be used in close to mid-range combat and capable of handling multiple enemies. Prior to the armed interventions, during a weapons test, Lockon equipped the Dynames with six GN Beam Pistols stored on the inner side of the GN Full Shield and he considered this as the best loadout for close combat. The multiple GN Beam Pistols not only allow the Dynames to destroy a large number of foes by itself, but also solve the issue of the pistols becoming inoperable when their barrels burn out from overuse. It is unknown if this issue is resolved later.
- Super Substratospheric Altitude Gun
- A top-secret beam weapon of the Celestial Being, this huge gun has a massive range, capable of sniping targets in satellite orbit from the ground. The weapon sourced its GN Particles from an external large GN Condenser that in turn receives its particle supply from the maintenance container. As the gun requires more than 20 seconds to charge each shot, it cannot be rapid-fired. To suppress the recoil when firing, the Dynames is fitted with a Tail Unit from the GN-003 Gundam Kyrios on its rear waist unit. The Dynames is in Sniper Mode when using this gun, and the weapon's scope is directly connected to the head-mounted Gun Camera. This weapon is difficult to control, and similar to the GN Sniper Rifle, its use is possible thanks to Lockon's excellent sniping skills.
Special Equipment & Features
- Sniper Mode
- During precision shooting, the Dynames' head changes to Sniper Mode, where the top of the head rises slightly and the antenna slides down to reveal the high precision Gun Camera mounted in the forehead. Also known as "Gun Camera Mode", it is utilized together with the rifle-shaped precision shooting scope mounted in the cockpit's ceiling. This scope not only display images from the Dynames' long-range firearm (such as the GN Sniper Rifle and Super Substratospheric Altitude Gun), but also serves as a controller for the weapon and provides better shooting accuracy then normal control sticks. Overall, the Gun Camera and precision shooting scope are designed to take full advantage of Lockon's high marksmanship skills. During an emergency, the scope can be removed from the cockpit and attached directly to a weapon to operate it.
- Dock for Haro
- Celestial Being utilizes small versatile robots with individual AIs for support and maintenance of ships and Gundams. Called Haro, one of them serves as a partner for Lockon during missions and can be placed on a circular dock located on the right side of the Dynames' cockpit. When Lockon is fully concentrating on shooting using the precision shooting scope or occupied by the enemy, he can delegate certain controls of the machine to Haro, such as evasive maneuvers, control of the GN Full Shield, system adjustments, etc.
- Like the other third generation Gundams, the Gundam Dynames can deploy an external camouflage membrane over itself when stationary, blending it into its environment and making it look invisible. This allows the Gundam Meister to leave the Dynames while waiting for the mission to commence, without having to worry about others discovering the Gundam.
- A special system hidden by Celestial Being's founder, Aeolia Schenberg, within the black box of the original GN Drives and is revealed when a traitor emerged in the organization. During Trans-Am, all of the compressed high-density GN Particles accumulated in the Gundam are fully released, enhancing its mobility and defensive capabilities as well as allowing it to perform at three times its normal output for a limited time. The entire Gundam also appears red as the tremendous amount of GN Particles surrounding and covering the machine as well as those within the GN Cables and in the minute paths in the armor begin to glow red. Furthermore, afterimages are generated when the Gundam is moving, and in Dynames' case, its sensor systems and processing capabilities are also enhanced, resulting in higher shooting accuracy. A refined version of this Trans-Am shooting system is adopted by Dynames' successor, the GN-006 Cherudim Gundam. Unfortunately, the Trans-Am System is a double-edged sword, as once it ended, the Gundam's performance will drop dramatically as most of the GN Particles within its body have been used up. This negative effect will last until the stored GN Particles within the Gundam return to normal level, thus usage of the system requires careful consideration.
- The Gundams' operating system is linked to Veda, allowing the quantum computer to provide support to the Gundams and their Meisters. When Alejandro Corner gained possession of Veda with help from Ribbons Almark, they used it to intervene in the Gundams' systems, rendering them inoperable. Fortunately, the Ptolemaios team had considered such a probability and had developed a stand-alone operating system beforehand. The switch to this stand-alone operating system restores the Gundams to operating state, but the loss of support from Veda makes piloting the Gundams and completing missions much tougher for the Meisters.
For Dynames's history and exploits, please go to Lockon Stratos's page.
- Limited HG Gunpla released in December 2014 as a product exclusively for Pro-Shop.
Notes and Trivia
- The name Dynames is derived from dunamis, the Greek word for power or force.
- Dynames was the only Gundam to not used Trans-Am in the 1st season TV Series depiction. The Special Edition I did portray it using Trans-Am while using the GN-Arms Type-D.
- In an early concept stages, Dynames was initially codenamed "Knight Gundam". It was the leader of the team and unlike the Dynames was a powerful general purpose machine that uses a spear rifle instead of a sniper unit. It was also originally equipped with the Seven Sword system (which was given to Exia in the finalized version). Traces from the old Knight Gundam design can be seen in Dynames' Full Shield form as well as it's sniping mode visor, while some armor elements went to Virtue/Nadleeh. The storyline element of passing on the leadership to the upgraded Pawn Gundam at a certain point was kept however.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 1.4 1.5 Mobile Suit Gundam 00 Episode 1, Celestial Being
- ↑ 2.00 2.01 2.02 2.03 2.04 2.05 2.06 2.07 2.08 2.09 2.10 2.11 2.12 2.13 2.14 2.15 2.16 2.17 2.18 2.19 2.20 2.21 2.22 2.23 2.24 2.25 2.26 2.27 2.28 2.29 2.30 2.31 2.32 2.33 2.34 2.35 2.36 2.37 2.38 2.39 2.40 2.41 2.42 2.43 2.44 MG 1/100 GN-002 Gundam Dynames model kit manual
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 Gundam.Info's Gundam MS Movie Files: GN-002 Gundam Dynames (from Mobile Suit Gundam 00)
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 4.2 4.3 4.4 4.5 Archived Gundam 00 English Official Website Dynames Profile
- ↑ 5.00 5.01 5.02 5.03 5.04 5.05 5.06 5.07 5.08 5.09 5.10 5.11 5.12 5.13 5.14 5.15 5.16 5.17 5.18 5.19 5.20 5.21 5.22 5.23 1/100 GN-002 Gundam Dynames model kit manual
- ↑ 6.00 6.01 6.02 6.03 6.04 6.05 6.06 6.07 6.08 6.09 6.10 6.11 6.12 6.13 6.14 6.15 'Mobile Suit Gundam 00 Mechanics 1st' Book
- ↑ 7.0 7.1 7.2 7.3 PG 1/60 Gundam Exia model kit manual
- ↑ 8.0 8.1 MG 1/100 GN-001 Gundam Exia model kit manual
- ↑ Mobile Suit Gundam 00P Celestial Being (Krung Thep) Development Report – 2nd Generation Gundams
- ↑ Mobile Suit Gundam 00P Celestial Being (Krung Thep) Development Report – 3rd Generation Gundams
- ↑ 11.0 11.1 11.2 11.3 11.4 'Veda ~Mobile Suit Gundam 00~ “Ultimate” Art Works II' Book
- ↑ 12.0 12.1 12.2 12.3 12.4 12.5 'Mobile Suit Gundam 00 Data Archives' Book
- ↑ 13.00 13.01 13.02 13.03 13.04 13.05 13.06 13.07 13.08 13.09 13.10 13.11 13.12 13.13 13.14 13.15 13.16 13.17 13.18 'Mobile Suit Gundam 00 Archives' Book
- ↑ 14.0 14.1 14.2 14.3 14.4 14.5 Mobile Suit Gundam 00 Episode 12, To the Limits of Holy Teachings
- ↑ 15.0 15.1 15.2 15.3 15.4 15.5 15.6 15.7 15.8 'Dengeki Data Collection - Mobile Suit Gundam 00 First Season' Book
- ↑ 16.00 16.01 16.02 16.03 16.04 16.05 16.06 16.07 16.08 16.09 16.10 16.11 16.12 16.13 16.14 Mobile Suit Gundam 00 Episode 23, Stop the World
- ↑ 17.0 17.1 17.2 17.3 17.4 17.5 Mobile Suit Gundam 00 Episode 5, Escape Limit Zone
- ↑ 18.0 18.1 18.2 Mobile Suit Gundam 00 Episode 4, International Negotiation
- ↑ 19.0 19.1 19.2 19.3 19.4 19.5 Mobile Suit Gundam 00 Episode 2, Gundam Meister
- ↑ 20.00 20.01 20.02 20.03 20.04 20.05 20.06 20.07 20.08 20.09 20.10 20.11 20.12 20.13 HG00 1/144 GN-002 Gundam Dynames [Trans-Am Mode] model kit manual
- ↑ 21.0 21.1 21.2 21.3 21.4 21.5 RG 1/144 GN-001 Gundam Exia model kit manual
- ↑ 22.0 22.1 22.2 22.3 22.4 22.5 Mobile Suit Gundam 00 Special Edition I: Celestial Being
- ↑ 23.0 23.1 HG00 1/144 GN Arms Type-D + Gundam Dynames model kit manual
- ↑ Mobile Suit Gundam 00V Vol. 002 GN-002/DG014 Gundam Dynames Torpedo
- ↑ HG00 1/144 GN-006 Cherudim Gundam model kit manual
- ↑ 1/100 GN-006 Cherudim Gundam model kit manual
- ↑ Gundam 00 Japanese Official Website Cherudim Gundam Profile
- ↑ Gundam.Info's Gundam MS Movie Files: Gundam Dynames Repair (from Mobile Suit Gundam 00 Theatrical Edition)
- ↑ 'Mobile Suit Gundam 00 Mechanics Final' Book
- ↑ 30.0 30.1 30.2 30.3 30.4 30.5 30.6 Mobile Suit Gundam 00 Episode 6, Seven Swords
- ↑ 31.0 31.1 Mobile Suit Gundam 00 Episode 9, The Honor of a Great Power
- ↑ 32.0 32.1 32.2 32.3 32.4 Mobile Suit Gundam 00 Episode 21, Path of Destruction
- ↑ 33.0 33.1 33.2 33.3 33.4 33.5 33.6 33.7 33.8 33.9 Mobile Suit Gundam 00P Second Season Celestial Being (Krung Thep) Development Report – GN-002 Gundam Dynames
- ↑ 34.0 34.1 Mobile Suit Gundam 00 Episode 7, Unrewarded Souls
- ↑ Mobile Suit Gundam 00 Episode 8, Indiscriminate Retaliation
- ↑ 36.0 36.1 36.2 36.3 'Hobby Japan Mook Gundam Weapons Mobile Suit Gundam 00 Special Edition' Book
- ↑ 37.0 37.1 37.2 Gundam 00 Japanese Official Website Gundam Dynames Profile
- ↑ Archived Gundam 00 English Official Website Haro Profile
- ↑ Gundam 00 Japanese Official Website Haro Profile
- ↑ 40.0 40.1 Mobile Suit Gundam 00 Episode 13, Return of the Saint