Technology & Combat Characteristics
After its GN Drive was salvaged by Celestial Being and installed into GN-0000 00 Gundam, the GN-001RE Gundam Exia Repair was stored in one of their undisclosed asteroid bases. With the organization short on resources and in need of available units, Celestial Being engineers rebuilt Exia with the latest advancements in mobile suit technology as a reserve/spare Gundam.
A weaknesses of the original Exia was the abundant amount of exposed cables all over its body. These cables are important as they are used for both GN Particle transfer as well as attitude control due to the particles' mass reducing effects. The reason Exia had many exposed cables was for finer attitude control, but this setup left them vulnerable to attacks. To counter this weakness, the Exia R2's particle transfer system was redesigned and the cables were internalized within the armor. Another change is that a series of thrusters and exhaust ports are added onto the rear shoulder, torso, and calves for enhanced speed and maneuverability. Like the original Exia, the Exia R2 has an "Over Boost Mode" that when activated temporarily boosts its performance.
For weapons, Exia Repair's damaged GN Sword was refitted into the GN Sword Kai. The new sword was a cross between the former and the GN Sword III of 00 Gundam, its blade edge was lined with GN Condenser material. Like the GN Sword, the GN Sword Kai's blade is foldable and has a Rifle Mode for ranged combat. Due to the improved power and effectiveness of the GN Sword Kai, Exia's original Seven Swords System is reduced to just three swords, it still retains a pair of GN Beam Sabers (relocated from its shoulders to the hips). The Exia R2 also retained the GN Vulcans and can optionally use the GN Shield. During emergency situations, the Trans-Am System can be activated, increasing Exia R2's output to three times that of its normal specifications for a limited period of time.
A damaged Exia R2 was recovered after the battle against GN-000 0 Gundam (Type A.C.D), but its GN Drive was damaged beyond repair. With resources in short supply and MSs in high demand, Celestial Being engineers repaired it into the GN-001REIII Gundam Exia Repair III that is powered by a particle storage tank.
- GN Sword Kai
- The primary weapon of the Exia R2 is the GN Sword Kai. While virtually similar to Exia's original GN Sword, the new weapon incorporates the new green Condenser material edge technology that was seen on the GN Sword III. As a result of the new blade, its offensive capacity has greatly increased.
- GN Beam Saber
- The Exia R2 features two GN Beam Sabers stored on the hips (they can rotate a full 360 for quick access). Since they can be adjusted to become GN Beam Daggers, the original Exia's GN Beam Daggers are no longer equipped.
- GN Vulcan
- Like the original Exia, Exia R2 has a pair of small beam guns known as GN Vulcans are built into the forearms. Although they have low firepower, their beams can be rapid-fired intermittently and they are effective in restricting enemy movements, damaging conventional weapons without E-Carbon armor, etc. Setsuna only fired one shot in the battle against Ribbons Almark's GN-000 0 Gundam (Type A.C.D).
- GN Shield
- A shield made from E-Carbon and further enhanced with a GN Field. As long as it receives power from Exia R2, it is impossible for it to be broken by conventional weapons. However as Exia R2's main defense is already strong and the fact that the shield can get in the way of two handed melee combat, it is sometimes not brought along in combat. This was the case during the Exia R2's final battle against 0 Gundam Type A.C.D.
Special Equipment & Features
- Over Boost Mode
- Like the original Exia, when Exia R2 is operating at maximum output, the safety devices of its GN Drive can be deactivated to achieve a temporary 'Boost' state. This is known as "Over Boost Mode", but its use is usually discouraged.
- Inherited from the original Exia, the Exia R2 can deploy an external camouflage membrane over itself when stationary, blending it into its environment and making it look invisible. However, it is unclear if Celestial Being engineers restored the system and/or enhance the system to modern capabilities.
- In emergency situations, Exia R2 can activate Trans-Am and all of the compressed high-density GN particles accumulated in the Gundam are fully released, enhancing its thrust and defensive capabilities as well as allowing it to perform at three times its normal output for a limited time. However, this system is a double-edged sword, as once it ended, the Gundam's performance will drop dramatically as all its stored GN Particles have been used up. This negative effect will last until the stored GN Particles within the Gundam return to normal level, thus usage of the system requires careful consideration.
In the final battle with the Innovators, the GN-0000+GNR-010 00 Raiser was severely damaged after battling Ribbons Almark's CB-0000G/C Reborns Gundam and left with only a single GN Drive. Sumeragi Lee Noriega ordered the remaining drive fitted onto Exia R2 so Setsuna could continue to fight. Setsuna in the Exia R2 then faced Ribbons and [GN-000 0 Gundam (Type A.C.D) in one final battle. While the victory would go to Setsuna, Exia R2 was severely damaged in battle when the cockpit was penetrated by 0 Gundam's beam saber. In this same battle, Exia R2's GN Drive was also damaged to the point of being inoperable. The Exia R2 was eventually repaired into the GN-001REIII Gundam Exia Repair III for Setsuna's use on Earth.
Notes & Trivia
- In episode 25 of the first season, Graham's beam saber pierced Exia's right side, whereas in episode 25 of the second season the 0 Gundam pierced Exia R2's left side.
- Along with the 0 Gundam, Exia R2 did not appear in Super Robot Wars Z2 Saisei-hen, included in the final scenario of Gundam 00 season two, where they were supposed to replace the role of 00 Raiser and Reborns Gundam. According to the rumors, the lack of funds is the reason for their absence in the game. Another is that the director didn't want to take away a player's upgrade for a much weaker unit.
- In the recent G Generation video games (Wars, World, Overworld), as well as in SD Gundam Online, the Exia R2 lacks any sort of Trans-Am mode and/or attack. This maybe a reflection of the fact that Exia R2 did not utilize the system in the anime.
- In the PSP game Gundam Memories: Tatakai no Kioku, Season 2 Setsuna's first combat unit is the Exia R2 instead of the GN-001RE Gundam Exia Repair or the 00 Gundam, later on skipping to the GN-0000+GNR-010 00 Raiser before finally returning for its final battle with the GN-000 0 Gundam (Type A.C.D).
- Tatakai no Kioku is the first game to feature the Trans-Am mode for both the Exia R2 and the 0 Gundam, even after they recover their respective drives from the battle-damaged 00-Raiser.
- ↑ Gundam 00V Weapons Development Chart
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 2.3 2.4 2.5 2.6 MG 1/100 GN-001 Gundam Exia manual
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 3.3 3.4 3.5 3.6 3.7 High Grade 1/144 GN-001REII Gundam Exia Repair II model kit manual
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 Mobile Suit Gundam 00 Season 2 Episode 25
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 'Mobile Suit Gundam 00 Data Archives' Book
- ↑ Mobile Suit Gundam 00V Senki Chapter 10