The GN-001REII Gundam Exia Repair II (aka Gundam Exia Repair II, Exia Repair II, Exia R2) is the repaired and upgraded version of the GN-001RE Gundam Exia Repair. Appearing in Mobile Suit Gundam 00 season 2, it is piloted by Setsuna F. Seiei.
Technology & Combat Characteristics
For the final battle against the Innovators, the reborn Celestial Being deployed all usable mobile suits they have, including the Exia Repair II (aka Exia R2) that served as a spare machine for Setsuna F. Seiei. Built from the wreckage of the Exia Repair by a team of mechanics led by Ian Vashti, the Exia R2 incorporated the latest technology and is more powerful than its predecessors.
The light purple-colored GN Cables on the exterior of the original Exia and Exia Repair are now mostly stowed in the Exia R2's armor. These cables facilitate the supply of GN Particles, and thus energy, to each part of the Gundam instantaneously, and are also used for attitude control due to the particles' mass reduction effect. The internalization of these cables resolves the defensive concerns regarding their previously exposed placements, improving the Exia R2's defensive capability. The Exia R2 also has enhanced mobility as additional thrusters are installed on various parts of its body.
Due to the proliferation of GN Drive Taus, it is now much more difficult to overwhelm enemy machines compared to before. To counter this, the Exia R2 has been reworked into a "one-hit-kill" machine. It is armed with a GN Sword Kai, two GN Beam Sabers a pair of GN Vulcans, and a GN Shield. Overall attack power is enhanced thanks to the GN Sword Kai, a powered up version of the original Exia's GN Sword. However, this focus on singular attack power resulted in decreased comprehensive battle strength as the total number of swords is reduced from the original Exia's seven to the current three.
Like the original Exia, the Exia R2 has an "Over Boost Mode" that temporarily boosts its capabilities. The Exia R2's primary tactic is to combine a single GN Sword Kai attack with the "Over Boost Mode" to defeat the enemy quickly, and this was successfully employed against the GN-000 0 Gundam. A damaged Exia R2 was recovered after the battle, but its GN Drive was damaged beyond repair by 0 Gundam's attack. It was then repaired into the GN-001REIII Gundam Exia Repair III, powered by a particle storage tank.
- GN Sword Kai
- A modified and more powerful version of the original Exia's GN Sword, it is the Exia R2's primary weapon and mounted on its right forearm. The GN Sword Kai is visually similar to the GN Sword except for a new blade made from newly developed material previously utilized in GN-0000+GNR-010 00 Raiser's GN Sword III, granting it excellent strength and sharpness. Like the GN Sword, the GN Sword Kai can transform to Rifle Mode, where the blade is folded to reveal the muzzle to fire beams for ranged attacks. Thanks to the GN Sword Kai, the Exia Repair II's overall attack power is significantly improved over its predecessors.
- GN Beam Saber
- The Exia R2 has two GN Beam Sabers stored on rotatable mounts on the hips. This close combat weapon emits a beam blade made of GN Particles from its hilt when drawn. Like the original Exia's, Exia R2's GN Beam Sabers can also function as GN Beam Daggers through adjustments by the pilot in the cockpit.
- GN Vulcan
- Like the original Exia, Exia R2 has a pair of small beam guns known as GN Vulcans built into its forearms. Although they have low firepower, their beams can be rapid-fired intermittently and they are effective in restricting enemy movements, damaging conventional weapons without E-Carbon armor, etc.
- GN Shield
- The same GN Shield as used by the original Exia, it is made from E-Carbon and its defensive ability is further enhanced by a GN Field. As long as it receives energy from Exia R2, it cannot be destroyed by conventional weapons. However, as the defensive capabilities of Exia R2 itself is already high, and since the GN Shield may be a hindrance when dual wielding weapons in close combat, the Exia R2 can be launched without it.
Special Equipment & Features
- Over Boost Mode
- Like the original Exia, the safety devices of Exia R2's GN Drive can be deactivated to achieve a temporary 'boost' state.This draws out the GN Drive's full power and is known as "Over Boost Mode", but its use is usually discouraged.
- In emergency situations, Exia R2 can activate Trans-Am and all of the compressed high-density GN particles accumulated in the Gundam are fully released, enhancing its thrust and defensive capabilities as well as boosting its output by threefold for a limited time. The entire Gundam also glows red as a side effect and afterimages are generated during movements. However, this system is a double-edged sword, as once it ended, the Gundam's performance will drop. This negative effect will last until the stored GN Particles within the Gundam return to normal level.
In the final battle with the Innovators, the GN-0000+GNR-010 00 Raiser was severely damaged after battling Ribbons Almark's CB-0000G/C Reborns Gundam and left with only a single GN Drive. This GN Drive was then fitted onto the Exia R2, which was prepared earlier by Ian Vashti upon Sumeragi Lee Noriega's orders, so that Setsuna could continue to fight. Setsuna in the Exia R2 then faced Ribbons and the [GN-000 0 Gundam (Type A.C.D) in one last battle. While the victory would go to Setsuna, the Exia R2 was severely damaged and its GN Drive was also damaged to the point of being inoperable. The Exia R2 was subsequently repaired into the GN-001REIII Gundam Exia Repair III for Setsuna's use on Earth.
Illustrations & Artwork
Notes & Trivia
- In episode 25 of the first season, GN Flag's beam saber pierced Exia's right side, whereas in episode 25 of the second season the 0 Gundam pierced Exia R2's left side.
- Along with the 0 Gundam, Exia R2 did not appear in Super Robot Wars Z2 Saisei-hen, included in the final scenario of Gundam 00 season two, where they were supposed to replace the role of 00 Raiser and Reborns Gundam. According to the rumors, the lack of funds is the reason for their absence in the game. Another is that the director didn't want to take away a player's upgrade for a much weaker unit.
- In the recent G Generation video games (Wars, World, Overworld), as well as in SD Gundam Online, the Exia R2 lacks any sort of Trans-Am mode and/or attack. This maybe a reflection of the fact that Exia R2 did not utilize the system in the anime.
- In the PSP game Gundam Memories: Tatakai no Kioku, Season 2 Setsuna's first combat unit is the Exia R2 instead of the GN-001RE Gundam Exia Repair or the 00 Gundam, later on skipping to the GN-0000+GNR-010 00 Raiser before finally returning for its final battle with the GN-000 0 Gundam (Type A.C.D).
- Tatakai no Kioku is the first game to feature the Trans-Am mode for both the Exia R2 and the 0 Gundam, even after they recover their respective drives from the battle-damaged 00-Raiser.
- Mobile Suit Gundam 00 Episode 47, For the Future
- Mobile Suit Gundam 00 Episode 50, Rebirth
- Gundam Perfect File Vol. 24 - GN-001RE Gundam Exia Repair/GN-001REII Gundam Exia Repair II mechanic file
- Gundam.Info's Gundam MS Movie Files: GN-001REII Gundam Exia Repair II (from Mobile Suit Gundam 00)
- Gundam 00 Japanese Official Website Profile
- HG00 1/144 GN-001REII Gundam Exia Repair II model kit manual
- 'Mobile Suit Gundam 00 Data Archives' Book
- Gundam 00 Mechanics 2nd - Page 71 (Exia Repair II Profile)
- MG 1/100 GN-001 Gundam Exia model kit manual
- 'Mobile Suit Gundam 00 Archives Second Season' Book
- 'Dengeki Data Collection - Mobile Suit Gundam 00 Second Season' Book
- Mobile Suit Gundam 00V: Battlefield Record Chapter 10
- Mobile Suit Gundam 00V: Battlefield Record Chapter 18