- 1 Technology & Combat Characteristics
- 2 Armaments
- 3 Special Equipment & Features
- 4 Variants
- 5 History
- 6 Picture Gallery
- 7 Notes & Trivia
- 8 References
- 9 External Links
Technology & Combat Characteristics
The 0 Gundam was a general-purpose mobile suit developed during the Solar Power Wars, 15 – 20 years prior to the revelation of Celestial Being. The first Gundam created by Celestial Being, it was also known as the first generation machine. Data obtained from it was used in creating the second generation Gundams such as the GNY-001 Gundam Astraea. Unknownst to the organization, the 0 Gundam's data was copied by Ribbons Almark and the Corner Family, who later used it to create the GNW-Throne series. Although Ribbons was once the 0 Gundam's pilot, he was not its official Gundam Meister as the suit did not switch its rollout color scheme (white, grey and yellow) to a custom one, a standard procedure whenever a Gundam has an official Meister.
The 0 Gundam established the basic concepts and systems for later Gundams. This included the use of the GN Drive as the main engine unit, use of the GN Drive's high output to drive beam weapons, presence of clavicle antennae on the torso for controlling GN Particles, and head-mounted v-fin antenna as well as twin eye camera. Compared to later Gundams, the GN Drive’s cone on the 0 Gundam’s back was not only of a different design, it was also larger and protruded out more as the drive's ancillary/support systems were yet to be minaturized. In terms of armaments, the suit has a Beam Saber, Beam Gun, and Gundam Shield for close to mid-range combat.
During the Celestial Being's armed intervention in 2307-2308 AD, the 0 Gundam was with the shadow support organization, Fereshte, who usually took out its GN Drive to power their Gundams. Fereshte eventually merged with the reborn Celestial Being, bringing the 0 Gundam along. The 0 Gundam's GN Drive was then removed and used in powering the GN-0000 00 Gundam, while the suit itself was stored in one of Celestial Being's resource satellites. The suit was later pulled out of storage for combat deployment during the final battle with the Innovators.
Since there was no GN Drive left to power it, the 0 Gundam was fitted with a large GN Condenser (also known as GN Particle Tank) that gave it limited operational time. It also had a new color scheme of red, blue and yellow, and was renamed as 'GN-000 0 Gundam (Type A.C.D.)' (Actual Combat Deployment) to differentiate it from its original form. This version uses the same armament as the original's. Later in the battle, the 0 Gundam (Type A.C.D) was abandoned by the backup Gundam Meister Lasse Aeon after its particle reserves were depleted. It was then found by Ribbons, who reactivated the Gundam one last time using a GN Drive he had cut off from the 00 Gundam.
- Beam Gun
- A handheld gun for mid-range combat, it fires compressed GN Particles as beams and is capable of rapid fire. Unlike current beam weapons, this early model weapon possesses no internal GN Condensers, instead it draws energy directly from the 0 Gundam. Despite this, its firepower is comparable to current beam weapons, and its small size makes it easy to handle.
- Beam Saber
- A handheld close combat weapon that emits a beam blade made of GN Particles, it is stored on the right side of 0 Gundam's backpack. Its name does not have the 'GN' label in front to mark it out as a prototype weapon. The power of the beam blade can be increased by the pilot.
- Gundam Shield
- A handheld defensive armament, it is made of E-Carbon and can generate a GN Field on its surface to increase its effectiveness. Its GN Field device is larger and heavier than ones in current GN Shields, and as such, there are instances of the shield being discarded when the focus is on speed.
Special Equipment & Features
- GN Feathers
- 0 Gundam can release large amounts of GN Particles which, when controlled by the two clavicle antennae on the chest, form a huge angelic wing-like effect. The GN Feathers have multiple functions; it can be used in attitude control where it helps to improve the suit's mid-air stability, for jamming radar, and as a means of defence as the dense particle cloud can also disrupt enemies' attacks. The visual presence of the GN Feathers also create a powerful psychological effect on those who witnessed it. For the effects that it achieved, this experimental feature was deemed to consume too much GN particles, and was not used in later Gundams. Used only by the original 0 Gundam.
- As the 0 Gundam was fitted with an original GN Drive, it could theoretically use the Trans-Am System to release all of its compressed high-density GN particles, enhancing its thrust and defensive capabilities as well as allowing it to perform at three times its normal output for a limited time. However, this system was hidden until 2308 AD, when Aeolia Schenberg was killed by a betrayer, triggering the system trap to reveal it. Even then, the suit did not have a chance to use it as its GN Drive was used by other Gundams of the Fereshte, and the 0 Gundam did not see combat until it became the Type A.C.D. The system was also not used when the Type A.C.D. was fitted with a GN Drive from 00 Gundam.
- The operating system of the Gundams is linked to Veda, allowing the quantum computer to provide support to the Gundams and their pilots. As suggested by Ian Vashti, Fereshte severed their links to Veda when it is evident that Celestial Being's plans were being compromised, and Sherilyn Hyde replaced the Veda-linked Operating System used in Fereshte's Gundams with a copy of the Ptolemaios team's stand-alone operation system. Without support from Veda, piloting the Gundams and completing missions will be tougher for the pilots.
Gundam 00P Season 1
The 0 Gundam was activated to help GNY-002 Gundam Sadalsuud recover the latter's fellow Second Generation Gundams after an incident during the operation to stop a terrorist attack on HRL's Orbital Elevator, which was still under construction. Pilot of the 0 Gundam was unknown.
Intervention in Republic of Krugis
The 0 Gundam was conducting an armed intervention test in the Republic of Krugis in 2301 AD. The pilot of 0 Gundam, Ribbons Almark, was supposed to kill all the combatants in the area; however, upon upon seeing the awed young Soran Ebrahim (who would grow up to be Setsuna F. Seiei), Ribbons perceives the boy's look to be one of utter admiration and worship, and lets him live. Afterwards, he went and tampered with Veda's files (something Tieria Erde would eventually pick up on) to recommend Soran as Exia's Gundam Meister. He would later refer to it as a "momentary impulse... but also a sort of mercy."
Gundam 00P Season 2
In AD 2302, 0 Gundam assisted in a flight test of the GN-XXX Gundam Rasiel. The pilot of the 0 Gundam of that time was unknown.
Together with the four second generation Gundams, 0 Gundam was also transferred to the Fereshte - a shadow group supporting the Ptolemy group. During operations, Fereshte would remove the 0 Gundam's GN Drive, their sole GN Drive, and placed it in the selected second generation Gundam.
Resisting Team Trinity
During their missions, Fereshte encountered the Gundam Throne Meisters who tried to claim 0 Gundam's GN Drive. Claiming that it was orders from Veda, they demanded Fereshte to stand down their operation and relinquish control of their only true GN Drive. Fon Spaak used the Gundam Plutone to resist the Trinity's attempt. Upon being informed of Fon's disobedience by Johann Trinity, Veda detonated Fon's explosive collar. Fon would have died of internal bleeding, save for the intervention of Hanayo who took remote control of Gundam Plutone. She scuttled the mobile suit's body and escaped with the GN Drive and Fon in Plutone's core fighter.
Four Years Later
Nearly four years after "Operation Fallen Angels", Celestial Being was reborn. Wang Liu Mei and Hong Long visited one of Celestial Being's secret asteroid bases to see the recent developments. She wanted to see the first Gundam and Ian Vashti opened the container for her to see 0 Gundam. Ian Vashti commented that 0 Gundam's GN Drive was removed and placed into 00 Gundam for testing.
Twin Drive Testing
Ian had tested multiple combinations of GN Drives for the 0 Gundam's Twin Drive System, but with little success. He hoped that the combination of Exia's and 0 Gundam's GN Drives would fare better. When Exia returned to Celestial Being as Exia Repair, compatibility tests resumed with only a 73% (needs to be 80%) synchronization rate. When A-Laws attacked Ptolemy II, Setsuna risked Trans-Am in attempt to level out the synchronization of 00. He managed to synchronize the Twin Drive System at 87% and defeated A-Laws opposition. Without its GN Drive, the 0 Gundam was placed in storage.
Return to Battle
The 0 Gundam was eventually moved to another Celestial Being resource satellite at Lagrange 5. With the war against the A-Laws and the Innovators building to a climax, Celestial Being rallied every mobile suit they had, including the 0 Gundam. Without a GN Drive, Linda Vashti and her engineers retrofitted it with a GN Particle Tank. The 0 Gundam was also given a new paint job and became known as the 0 Gundam (Type A.C.D.). Lasse later sortied in the 0 Gundam (Type A.C.D.), to protect the Ptolemy crew and Gundam Meisters from the kamikaze attacks of the Innovator's Gaga Forces.
Despite a valiant effort, Lasse depleted 0 Gundam (Type A.C.D.)'s particle supply, forcing him to abandon the mobile suit. Due to Ptolemaois II movements, 0 Gundam (Type A.C.D.) drifted out of the hanger until Ribbons, in his damaged Reborns Gundam, found and fitted it with Exia's original GN Drive, which he had stolen earlier from 00 Raiser. Ribbons then boarded the 0 Gundam (Type A.C.D.) to engage Setsuna and his Gundam Exia Repair II (which, coincidentally, was using 0 Gundam's original GN Drive). The 0 Gundam (Type A.C.D.) was defeated in the final confrontation and its GN Drive was destroyed. The fate of the 0 Gundam (Type A.C.D.) after the battle is unknown.
Mobile Suit Gundam 00
Notes & Trivia
- The fact that 0 Gundam resembles the RX-78-2 Gundam and Ribbons being its pilot made it a considerable in-joke, as Ribbons shared the same Japanese voice actor of Amuro Ray, the pilot of the RX-78-2.
- Ribbons Almark was first revealed as the pilot in the novel, which was then confirmed in S2 Ep. 14.
- The role of the 0 Gundam is a reflection of the RX-78-2 Gundam's, in which the former was the precursor to all Gundams in Gundam 00, and the latter is the first Gundam mobile suit in the metaseries.
- The 0 Gundam has the same head height as the RX-78-2.
- The 0 Gundam (Type A.C.D) also appears as the last boss in the SD Gundam G Generation Wars video game. Unlike other GN drive powered Mobile Suits, it automatically activates its GN field when attacked. Its GN field is also much more powerful than other MS, completely nullifying MAP weapons and reducing damage from all other attacks by 70%. After beating the game once, the player may purchase a weaker version of it which can be combine with every units in game.
- The 0 Gundam's design share certain visual traits with the older concept of Gundam Exia, such as the enlarged rear cone or the sterile white color scheme.
- In the early concept stages, the 0 Gundam was known as the "King Gundam" which acted as a command unit for the team that can predict battle situations. It was loaded with a powerful quantum computer to help it with its analysis and tactical roles. Like the king in chess, its did not have any offensive ability whatsoever. Its role in the storyline was that of an important older unit that was critical in the beginning of the series. Later on, the quantum computer idea would be developed into Veda, while the tactical center idea developed into Ptolemaios. The pilot was also initially stated to be a "Sumeragi type" tactical character that eventually appeared although the initial concept character in question was a man rather than a woman.
- Along with Exia R2, 0 Gundam did not appear in Super Robot Wars Z2 Saisei-hen, included in the final scenario of Gundam 00 scenario, where they were supposed to replace the role of 00 Raiser and Reborns Gundam. According to the rumors, the lack of funds of the developer is the reason of their absence in the game.
- It's far more likely that they were cut to save on space and the sake of gameplay (losing the 00 Raiser at this point would not have been taken well by players) as the game had other signs of space concerns.
- 0 Gundam makes it playable debut in December 2020 event of SRW X-Omega 8 years after Saisei-hen.
- In the Mission Mode of Gundam Memories, there's a mission where players fight against the 0 Gundam, but its stats are higher than normal, so using the GN-001 Gundam Exia alone is not enough to destroy it, unless the players can control their Gundam well.
- In Gundam Build Fighters episode 25 "Promise", 0 Gundam had a cameo appearance wielding two beam guns.
- In SD Gundam G Generation Cross Rays, the Type A.C.D. is instead referred to as the "Combat Unit GN Drive Type" and "Combat Unit GN Particle Condenser Type" depending on the loadout.
- Gundam 00 World Report sourcebook
- Mobile Suit Gundam 00P Celestial Being [Krung Thep] Development Report – 0 Gundamn
- HG00 1/144 0 Gundam (Type A.C.D) model kit manual
- HG00 1/144 0 Gundam model kit manual
- "Gundam Weapons Mobile Suit Gundam 00V Special Edition" Book
- Video in infobox
- Gundam Perfect File Vol.1 – 0 Gundam Mechanic File
- "Gundam 00 Mechanic 1st" Book
- Mobile Suit Gundam 00V Volume 22 "GN-000FA Full-Armor 0 Gundam"
- Mobile Suit Gundam 00 Episode 47, For the Future
- Mobile Suit Gundam 00 Episode 49, Beyond
- Mobile Suit Gundam 00 Episode 50, Rebirth
- Mobile Suit Gundam 00F Chapter 6
- Mobile Suit Gundam 00 Episode 21, Path of Destruction
- Mobile Suit Gundam 00 Episode 25, Setsuna