Technology & Combat Characteristics
Designed by Rain's father, Dr. Mikamura, the Shining Gundam is equipped with two beam swords, two forearm-mounted beam cannons known as "Shining Shot", head-mounted vulcan guns, shoulder-mounted machine cannons, and its signature "Shining Finger" technique. This attack focuses energy into the Shining Gundam's hand, which causes it to glow green and allows it to easily crush the head of an enemy Gundam. The Shining Gundam contains an Emotion Energy System, which if given enough input, allows the Shining Gundam to power up significantly, allowing it to channel the Shining Finger energy into one of the beam swords; creating the Shining Finger Sword. As the Shining Gundam does not carry a physical shield, the defensive capabilities of the Shining Gundam rely on Domon himself.
This form is the default mode of the Shining Gundam. It is used when Domon is fighting another opponent without the use of the Shining Finger.
This is the first of the Shining Gundam's high-powered modes, which allows it to employ its devastating Shining Finger attack. In this form, the Gundam's arm covers pop out and its face armor opens for extra ventilation. This transformation increases the Shining Gundam's speed and offensive capabilities, but reduces its sensor effectiveness, adaptability, and defensive strength.
The second of the Shining Gundam's high-powered modes. In this form, the Shining Gundam's overall performance is increased by 50%, its speed and offensive power are doubled, and the panels of its armor open up to reveal a variety of cooling systems, boosters and generators. The Super Mode is powered by the emotional energy of its pilot Domon, who at first could only attain this state when he lost control of his rage and passion. However, through the instruction of Schwarz Bruder, Domon learned to attain the serene state of mind of a true warrior, allowing him to activate the Super Mode at will.
True Super Mode
It is similar to the regular Super Mode, but Shining Gundam changes to an all gold color. The overall capabilities of the unit are increased tremendously. However, this mode can only be used when Domon is in a state of complete calm. Later, after Domon had replaced the Shining Gundam with the GF13-017NJII God Gundam, both he and his fellow Shuffle Alliance members achieved variations of the True Super Mode called "Hyper Mode".
- Beam Swords
- One longer and one shorter, hand-held when used and mounted in a recharge rack on the left hip when not. These are primarily used for slicing into opponents' Gundams or parrying other beam attacks. The shorter beam sword is typically used for regular close combat, while the longer one is used for the Shining Finger Sword attack.
- Vulcan Guns
- Mounted in the head unit. Primarily used for close range defense or for thwarting movement.
- Machine Cannons
- Mounted in the shoulders. Like the Vulcan guns, they are primarily used for close range defense or for thwarting movement.
- Shining Shot
- Beam cannons mounted in pairs on each forearm. These are are only used when defending Tokyo's Shinjuku district from the Death Army (possibly due to Domon's preference for close combat in regular Gundam fights).
- Smoke Grenade
- Only used once against the Neros Gundam; throws a canister that blankets a large area in smoke.
- Shining Finger
- Domon's signature move, the Shining Finger concentrates a large amount of energy into the Shining Gundam's hand, resulting in it glowing bright green. Doing so enables the Shining Gundam's hand to tear through the armor of rival mobile fighters as if they were wet tissue. Typically, Domon utilizes the technique to grab the head of an opposing Gundam and crush it, which not only wins the fight but eliminates the fighter from the Gundam Fight altogether. Though the Shining Finger was usually a close range attack, Domon was at times able to use it to fire a powerful energy wave from Shining Gundam's hand such as when he used it to break free of the Gundam Rose's rose net and later to push back a flash flood during his training in the Guyana Highlands. During his first encounter against the Master Gundam, Domon and Rain (who had piloted the Shining Gundam to protect herself from the Death Army and was still clad in the mobile trace suit) managed to increase the power of Shining Finger by performing the move together.
- Shining Finger Sword
- Used in Super Mode, a more powerful variant of the Shining Finger, the Shining Finger Sword concentrates the energy of the Shining Finger into one of the beam swords; changing its color to green. The length of the beam sword increases dramatically and Domon is able to impale an opponent's head with the sword. However, this technique was unreliable as it relied on the Emotion Energy System, meaning that it could only be used based on Domon's state of mind.
Special Equipment & Features
- Emotion Energy System
- When Domon's anger peaks, his emotions are turned into energy. This activates the Shining Gundam's Super Mode, giving out maximum output. He is later able to activate the Super Mode at will after achieving a serene state of mind, unlocking the True Super Mode.
After being built in the Neo Japan colony alongside its sister unit, Rising Gundam, the Shining Gundam was sent to Earth with Domon and Rain at the onset of the 13th Gundam Fight. Though Domon used it for various Gundam preliminary fights across the globe, he also used it for battles involving his and Rain's secret mission to hunt down the Devil Gundam. After the betrayal of Master Asia in Shinjuku, Domon took the Shining Gundam with him to the Guyana Highlands to train himself to master its Super Mode. When the Devil Gundam later appeared in the Highlands, Domon was ultimately able to activate Shining Gundam's True Super Mode and deal a devastating blow to the Devil Gundam. However, the Shining Gundam was severely damaged soon after by Master Asia's Master Gundam. Fortunately, the Neo Japan government had deployed the more powerful God Gundam to Domon's location, and he transferred Shining Gundam's combat data into the new unit's system with Rain's help, in order to activate it. Domon then reluctantly left the powerless Shining Gundam behind at the Highlands as he departed with the God Gundam for the finals in Neo Hong Kong.
- Shining Gundam Urban Combat Type
- A different colored Shining Gundam used for combat in city areas.
- A replica of the Shining Gundam, it is equipped with an A.I. system, which controls the unit. It lacks the Super Mode system.
- Ninja Shining Gundam
- A custom close-combat stealth MF based on a prototype of the Shining Gundam.
Lineart & Artwork
Notes & Trivia
- Domon typically says a variation of the following phrase when the Shining Finger is used:
|“||This hand of mine glows with an awesome power! Its burning grip tells me to defeat you! Here I go! Shining Finger!||”|
- The Shining Gundam and its successor, the God Gundam, take their appearance from the battle armor worn by the ancient samurai warrior class.
- In some official materials, the Shining Gundam's True Super Mode is referred to as Hyper Mode, which is consistent with all other gold color forms that appear in G Gundam.
- During the first intro of G Gundam, when Shining Gundam enters Super Mode and draws its beam sword, the words G Gundam appears on the sword's blade (this also occurs in episode 6).
- It also appears on the HGFC 1/144 model kit's sword's blade.
- In Super Robot Wars R and Super Robot Wars Impact, Rain pilots the Shining Gundam after Domon receives the God Gundam and keeps using it until the games' endings as there is no Rising Gundam in the games.
- The Shining Gundam is the first protagonist Gundam in the franchise's history to not carry the traditional beam rifle/weapon and shield.
|G Gundam: Flying Dragon Legend Mechanics|
|13th Gundam Fight Participants|
Camilla Gundam | GF13-011NC Dragon Gundam | GF13-017NJ Shining Gundam | Gundam Crocodile | Samurai Gundam
|Neo China Shaolin Temple|
Ryu Gundam | Van Ninh Gundam