Technology & Combat Characteristics
The Verde Buster Gundam is a modified GAT-X103 Buster Gundam produced as part of the "Actaeon Project", a joint development between several companies led by Actaeon Industries and Phantom Pain. The main aim of this project is to create customized MS for use by Phantom Pain's ace pilots.
Like the original Buster Gundam, the Verde Buster is designed mainly as an artillery mobile suit and thus features a set of heavy armament consisting of a beam cannon, a gun launcher, missile pods and two powerful beam rifles, which also mount bayonets for close combat and hence increase the number of combat situations the MS can handle.
To complement the additional weapons, the FCS and sensors system have been improved, which also leads to enhancement in the MS's accuracy. Other modifications include the installation of the power extender, Variable Phase Shift armor, and a new face guard to protect the enhanced main sensor on the forehead during close combat.
- 94mm High-Energy Beam Cannon
- An updated version of the Buster's 94mm high-energy beam rifle. It is mounted on the left shoulder.
- 350mm Gun Launcher
- An updated version of the Buster's 350mm gun launcher. Mounted on the right shoulder, it adopts a smooth bore barrel and can fire various warheads. As the gun launcher and beam cannon are now shoulder mounted, they cannot combine like the original version.
- 6-tube 220mm Multipurpose Missile Pod
- Another weapon inherited from the Buster Gundam are the two shoulder mounted 6-tube 220mm multipurpose missile pods.
- M9009B Composite Bayonet Beam Rifle
- The only new addition to the Verde Buster's armament is a pair of composite bayonet beam rifles, which are mounted on the hips, with their grips handheld when in use. The bayonet at the bottom of the rifle unfolds during close combat, and can generate a force field that allows it to penetrate most normal armor other than PS armor. The rifles can combine into a twin cannon mode for longer range attack, which is strong enough to severely damage a space station. The bayonets' field generator also serves as a beam guidance device in cannon mode, contributing to extending the beam's effective range.
Special Equipment & Features
- An improved version of Phase Shift armor, the Variable Phase Shift (VPS) armor is more energy efficient and its strength, as well as color can be changed in the field, although this must be programmed beforehand.
- Power Extender
- A large-capacity power pack added to the power supply system. This device improves a mobile suit's energy storage capacity, allowing it to use its VPS armor for a longer duration.
After the First Alliance-PLANT War, as part of the "Actaeon Project" MS development plan, another Buster was manufactured and assigned to Phantom Pain pilot, Shams Couza. It was subsequently upgraded into the Verde Buster according to Phantom Pain’s instruction. One of the suit's sorties was against a ZAFT unit which attacked the Hannibal-class Bonaparte, carrying the GFAS-X1 Destroy Gundam. While the Verde Buster easily holds its own against ZAFT's forces, its companion, the GAT-X1022 Blu Duel Gundam was destroyed by a squad of TMF/A-802W2 Kerberos BuCUE Hounds.
Later, Shams and Verde Buster were assigned to the Nana Buluku, which attacked the DSSD space station to steal the AI unit of the GSX-401FW Stargazer Gundam. During the battle, Shams destroyed a large number of the DSSD's UT-1D Civilian Astray DSSD Customs but when ordered to retreat, he was overcome with rage and continued to fire on the station. Even when he was warned that his suit's energy would soon be depleted, he continued firing until there was no energy left. The Verde Buster was then destroyed in a hail of beam fire from the remaining Civilian Astray DSSD Customs. Despite this, Shams died smiling.
Notes & Trivia
- The Verde Buster Gundam is the third Gundam taken down by mass production mobile suits in the Cosmic Era timeline. The first was the GAT-X1022 Blu Duel Gundam and the second was the ZGMF-X24S Chaos Gundam.
- Like its sister units: the GAT-X105E+AQM/E-X09S Strike Noir Gundam, the GAT-X1022 Blu Duel Gundam, the GAT-X207SR Nero Blitz Gundam and the GAT-X303AA Rosso Aegis Gundam, the Verde Buster Gundam bears a color-themed name, "verde" being the italian word for "green".
|Mobile Suit Gundam SEED C.E. 73: STARGAZER Mechanics|
GAT-01A2R 105 Slaughter Dagger | GAT-X103AP Verde Buster Gundam | GAT-X105E+AQM/E-X09S Strike Noir Gundam | GAT-X1022 Blu Duel Gundam | GFAS-X1 Destroy Gundam
Linear Gun Tank
|Aircraft / Spacecraft|
|Transporter / Supply Ship|
|Cruiser / Mother Ship|
TFA-4DE GAZuOOT | TMF/A-802 BuCUE | TMF/A-802W2 Kerberos BuCUE Hound | ZGMF-1000/A1 Gunner ZAKU Warrior | ZGMF-1000/K Slash ZAKU Warrior | ZGMF-1000/M Blaze ZAKU Warrior | ZGMF-1017 GINN
GSX-401FW Stargazer Gundam | UT-1D Civilian Astray DSSD Custom
ZGMF-1017 GINN Insurgent Type