Technology & Combat Characteristics
Besides carrying the armament of a standard GAT-04 Windam, the Jet Windam is also equipped with the AQM/E-A4E1 Jet Striker, a Striker Pack that grants the equipped suit with flight capabilities in Earth's atmosphere and as such is the standard equipment of the Windam on Earth (although some Windams have been seen using the old Aile Striker). With its flight capabilities the Jet Windam has a distinct advantage over ZAFT's ZAKU-type mobile suits on Earth, possessing greater range, speed, and maneuverability. In addition, the Jet Striker can be mounted with additional weaponry on its wings to improve the suit's combat capabilities, and these wing-mounted armaments include air-to-surface missiles, unguided rocket pods, and air-to-air missile pods. The Jet Windam used by Neo Roanoke has the Jet Striker pack's various performance limiters removed or dialed back, allowing for increased output and higher speed.
- M2M5 "Todesschrecken" 12.5mm Automatic CIWS
- The Windam is equipped with four CIWS guns to shoot down incoming missiles or enemies at close range. Two are located in the head, while another two are located on the clavicle.
- ES04B Beam Saber
- Another armament of the Windam which is standard on most mobile suits are its two ES04B beam sabers for close combat. When not in use, these sabers are stored on the hips of the suit.
- Mk315 "Stiletto" Rocket-propelled Anti-armor Penetrator
- Identical to the ones used by Dagger L, these penetrators are dagger-like weapons, which are stored inside the suit's side armor. The penetrators can be used for close combat but are most times used as throwing weapons, which can destroy a single suit if they hit a critical spot.
- A52 Offensive Shield Type E
- Mounted on the left forearm and/or handheld, it is a physical shield that is used to defend against enemy attacks. The A52 Offensive Shield Type E is a new type of shield and is named as such as it carries missiles.
- Mk438/B Dual Multipurpose Missile "Würger" SA10
- This shield mounts a Mk438/B dual multipurpose missile "Würger" SA10, giving it some offensive power.
- "Drache" Air-to-surface Missiles
- Guided heavy anti-ground target missiles mounted on hardpoints on the underside of the jet striker's wings.
- Mk1323 Unguided Rocket Pods
- Rocket pods mounted on hardpoints on the underside of the jet striker's wings. The pods can fire a barrage of unguided rockets that are effective against multiple target types.
- Mk438 Triple "Würger" Air-to-air Missile Pods
- Missile pods that each hold three anti-air "Würger" missiles that is mounted on the underside of the jet striker's wings.
- M9409L Beam Rifle
- For ranged combat, the Windam is equipped with a M9409L beam rifle. This new beam rifle is larger and more powerful than the beam carbine used by the GAT-02L2 Dagger L series.
- Hardpoints for Striker Packs
Since the Windam was designed to mount Striker Packs, several variants of this suit have been seen. One such variants is the Jet Windam, which is the main Windam configuration used on Earth. During the Second Alliance-PLANT War, the Jet Windam is deployed in nearly all Earthbound battles, sometimes alongside the older GAT-02L2 Dagger L, which can use the same Jet Striker.
The Jet Windam makes its first known combat debut during Operation Spear of Twilight early in the war, when a relatively small force of Windams caused significant casualties to ZAKUs being dropped from space to reinforce the Carpentaria and Gibraltar garrisons. They also take part in many battles against the ZAFT ship Minerva during its journey from the Carpentaria Base to the Gibraltar Base. The suits deployed in these battles however are shot down in massive number by the Minerva's mobile suits. One prominent exception is Neo Roanoke's custom Windam, whose Jet Striker's speed limiters were removed, granting it greater mobility than the average Windam (aside from that, the base unit specs of Neo's Windam are completely similar). He proved to be a remarkable enemy even for ZAFT ace Athrun Zala, whose attacks he always evaded. His suit was however eventually critically damaged in the Battle of Berlin by Kira Yamato in his ZGMF-X10A Freedom, although Neo was able to destroy the Freedom's shield using an anti-armor penetrator. Another battle in which the Jet Windam was deployed was the ZAFT attack on Heaven's Base.