Technology & Combat Characteristics
The Jet Windam is the GAT-04 Windam equipped with the AQM/E-A4E1 Jet Striker, a Striker Pack that improves mobility and grant flight capabilities in Earth's atmosphere, thus it is the mobile suit's standard equipment on Earth (although some Windams are seen using the old Aile Striker). With its flight capabilities, the Jet Windam has a distinct advantage over ZAFT's ZAKU series on Earth, possessing greater range, speed, and maneuverability. Furthermore, hardpoints beneath the wings can mount propellant tanks, along with a variety of additional equipment and weapons like missile launchers to bolster its offensive capabilities. The Jet Windam used by Neo Roanoke has the Jet Striker's various performance limiters removed or dialed back, allowing for increased output and higher speed.
- M2M5 "Todesschrecken" 12.5mm Automatic CIWS
- Two CIWS are located in the head and another two on the clavicle. They are primarily for intercepting missiles or enemies at close range.
- ES04B Beam Saber
- The beam saber serves as the Windam's standard melee weapon, and its beam blade can cut through most non beam-resistant material. This model is the same as that used by the Dagger L. The Windam is equipped with two beam sabers stored on the top of the side armor.
- Mk315 "Stiletto" Rocket-Propelled Anti-Armor Penetrator
- Identical to the ones used by Dagger L, these penetrators are dagger-type bombs, which are stored inside the suit's side armor. They can be used for close combat but are most times used as throwing weapons, which can destroy a mobile suit if they hit a critical spot.
- M9409L Beam Rifle
- The Windam's standard equipped beam weapon for ranged combat. This beam rifle is larger and more powerful than the beam carbine used by the Dagger L series.
- A52 Offensive Shield Type E
- Mounted on the left forearm and/or handheld, it is a physical shield for defending against enemy attacks and has a beam resistant coating. This model is a new type of shield and is named as such as it carries missiles. The shield's tip has sharp blades for use in close combat.
- Mk438/B Dual Multipurpose Missile "Würger" SA10
- The shield mounts two missiles on the back.
- "Drache" Air-to-Surface Missiles
- Missiles used for anti-ship attacks.
- Mk1323 Unguided Rocket Pods
- Rocket pods that can fire a barrage of unguided rockets at multiple targets.
- Mk438 Triple "Würger" Air-to-Air Missile Pods
- Missiles used for intercepting aircraft.
Special Equipment & Features
During the Second Alliance-PLANT War, the Jet Windams were deployed in nearly all Earthbound battles, sometimes alongside the older GAT-02L2 Dagger L, which also used the same Jet Striker. The Jet Windam made its first known combat debut during Operation Spear of Twilight early in the war, when a relatively small force of Windams caused significant casualties to ZAKUs being dropped from space to reinforce the Carpentaria and Gibraltar garrisons. The Windams also took part in many battles against the ZAFT ship LHM-BB01 Minerva during its journey from the Carpentaria Base to the Gibraltar Base. The suits deployed in these battles however were shot down in massive number by the Minerva's mobile suits. One prominent exception was Neo Roanoke's custom Windam, whose Jet Striker was modified for greater mobility. He proved to be a formidable enemy even for ZAFT ace Athrun Zala. Neo's Windam was defeated in the Battle of Berlin by the ZGMF-X10A Freedom Gundam, although Neo was able to destroy the Freedom's shield using an anti-armor penetrator. Jet Windams were also deployed during ZAFT's attack on Heaven's Base.
Notes And Trivia
- The Drache Air-to-Surface Missile and Mk1323 Unguided Rocket Pod seems to be based on the real life AGM-65 Maverick and B-8M1, respectively.
- In Mobile Suit Gundam SEED Battle Destiny, aside from the mobility specs, the normal Jet Windam and Neo's Custom one each have slightly different equipment and SP Special Attacks.
- The standard Jet Windam has the Unguided Rocket Pods as a tertiary weapon and the SP Special is a missile barrage.
- Neo's Jet Windam has the Stiletto Anti-armor Penetrators as a tertiary weapon and the SP Special is a one-hit kill Stiletto throw that downs most MS that do not have Phase-Shift armor.