Technology & Combat Characteristics
The Dagger L was an improved version of the GAT-01A1 Dagger (commonly known as the "105 Dagger"), and its basic structure followed that of its base unit. Its design was also partially simplified like the GAT-01 Strike Dagger's, enabling the mobile suit to be mass produced with greater ease. The Dagger L lacked the 105 Dagger's laminated armor to reduce development costs, but it retained its predecessor's ability to utilize the "Striker Pack System", giving it a high level of versatility. It is often equipped with the Jet Striker for aerial combat or the Doppelhorn Striker for anti-ship bombardment, but can also use other Striker Packs such as the Sword Striker for close combat and the Launcher Striker for long-range bombardment. The Dagger L is designed to overwhelm its opponents through group combat, and reflecting this concept, its armament focuses on ease of use and operability. Its standard armament consisted of four CIWS, two rocket-propelled anti-armor penetrators, two beam sabers, a beam carbine and a shield, allowing it to fight at both close and ranged combat.
- M703K Beam Carbine
- The primary armament of the Dagger L, it is smaller than conventional beam rifles and fire weaker beams. However, its excellent rapid-firing abilities led to it having high operability. Its small size also made it easy to handle.
- M2M5 "Todesschrecken" 12.5mm Automatic CIWS
- Two CIWS are mounted in the Dagger L's head and another two at the top of the shoulders. CIWS is typically inadequate for dealing with mobile suit-grade armor, but is sufficient for destroying small targets such as missiles, attack vehicles, and soft targets. The Dagger L's use of the smaller caliber 12.5mm "Todesschrecken" CIWS as compared to the older 75mm "Igelstellung" CIWS allows it to store more ammunition for the weapon.
- ES04B Beam Saber
- The beam saber serves as the Dagger L's standard melee weapon, and its beam blade can cut through most non beam-resistant material. The Dagger L is equipped with two beam sabers stored on the top of the side armor.
- Mk315 "Stiletto" Rocket-Propelled Anti-Armor Penetrator
- A small throwing knife that can also be used as a bomb, one is stored in each side armor. After being thrown, the vernier at the back of the weapon propels it forward, and once it pierce the enemy's armor, it explodes to cause damage.
- Widely equipped by the Dagger Series MS, this physical shield can defend against beam attacks in addition to physical attacks due to the anti-beam coating applied to its surface. It can be mounted on the forearms' hardpoints and/or carried in hand.
- Mk39 Low-Recoil Cannon
- A bazooka-like portable firearm comparable in size to the full height of a MS. The recoil is canceled out by spraying a counter gas from the rear of the cannon when it fires.
Special Equipment & Features
- The Dagger L retains the ability to mount Striker Packs like the original 105 Dagger, granting it the ability to adapt to different combat situations easily.
Depending on sources, the Dagger L was said to be developed after the First Alliance-PLANT War, or during the war, before the Second battle of Jachin Due. In the latter scenario, it was claimed that the Dagger L was developed for the purpose of suppressing the PLANTs after the fall of Jachin Due, and that a large number of them were deployed at the Ptolemaeus Lunar Base, but they were forced to return to Earth when the upper echelons of the Earth Alliance felt threatened by GENESIS and were fearful of ZAFT's counterattack following the failed nuclear attack. While the Dagger L never fought in the war, it later served as guard units at the conclusion ceremony of the Junius Treaty. The Dagger L then participated in the South American War of Independence, with a group of Sword Striker-equipped Dagger Ls seen in action.
In C.E. 73, the Phantom Pain ship Girty Lue used four Dagger Ls (two units equipped with Doppelhorn Striker and two Dark Dagger L) to attack the ZAFT military colony Armory One, while its three Extendeds stole three new Second Stage Series Gundams. The Doppelhorn Dagger Ls attacked a Nazca-class outside the colony, while the Dark Dagger Ls used a Mk39 Low-recoil Cannon each to destroy a Laurasia-class inside the space dock and eventually the dock itself. Two of these suits were later destroyed by Minerva pilot Rey Za Burrel in his ZGMF-1001/M Blaze ZAKU Phantom during battle in the Debris Belt. After the "Break the World" incident carried out by rouge ZAFT soldiers, the Alliance sent a fleet to take down the PLANTs with a large mobile suit force consisting of Dagger Ls and the new GAT-04 Windams, going into battle against ZAFT's mobile suit forces. Around the same time, a group of Dagger Ls, including one equipped with the Launcher Striker, and a Windam attacked the Junk Guild as the group was alleged to have launched an attack on an Earth Alliance base, but they were defeated with help from Kaite Madigan's ZGMF-X12A Testament Gundam and Jess Rabble's ZGMF-X12D Gundam Astray Out Frame D.
The Dagger Ls were also used on Earth, mainly to defend EA bases, such as the one at Gulnahan Ravine. After Earth Alliance's failed attempt at destroying the PLANTs, there was great unrest on Earth, particularly in the Eurasian Federation and the Dagger Ls were used to suppress unrest in these areas. They were occasionally used for front-line combat, however this was a rare event since at this time the Dagger L was in the process of being replaced by the more advanced GAT-04 Windam, both on Earth and in space. Nevertheless, several Dagger Ls were used by renegade EA forces which had joined or allied with the Terminal/Three Ships Alliance and fought against ZAFT during the last battle of the Second Alliance-PLANT War.
- Dark Dagger L
- A stealth operation variant of the Dagger L used by EA's special forces such as the Phantom Pain. This machine is painted mostly in black to reduce its visibility in space.
Notes and Trivia
- In Mobile Suit Gundam SEED Battle Destiny, the Dagger L can only mount the Doppelhorn and Jet Strikers as standard equipment and are considered as separate units for some reason(the standalone Dagger L also counts as a different unit). As a result, it cannot change Striker Packs on the fly like its predecessor, the 105 Dagger. Also, the Dark Dagger L only has the Doppelhorn Striker Pack available.
- GAT-02L2 Dagger L on GundamOfficial.com
- GAT-02L2 Dark Dagger L on GundamOfficial.com
- GAT-02L2 Dagger L on MAHQ.net
- GAT-02L2+AQM/E-A4E1 Jet Dagger L on MAHQ.net
- GAT-02L2+AQM/E-M11 Doppelhorn Dagger L on MAHQ.net
- GAT-02L2+AQM/E-X02 Sword Dagger L on MAHQ.net
- GAT-02L2+AQM/E-X03 Launcher Dagger L on MAHQ.net