The FFB-7Bst Jet Core Booster (also known as Core-EZ) is a multi-purpose fighter aircraft that appeared in Mobile Suit Gundam: The 08th MS Team.
Technology & Combat Characteristics
The Jet Core Booster consists of the nose section of the FF-X7 Core Fighter and a newly designed body section based on the FF-X7-Bst Core Booster. It was developed specifically for use in the atmosphere, and its propulsion system has been replaced with a thermonuclear jet engine, and it has air intakes at the root of the main wings. It is equipped with variable canard wings and vectored nozzles, and boasts high mobility.
The machine guns in the nose section have been omitted, and the only fixed armament is a single machine gun in the fuselage. The mega particle cannon on the Core Booster is not used due to its stability as a weapon. Other armaments are optional, and it is equipped with an armament station under the fuselage. It has high versatility because it can select the armament that best suits its mission, and it can handle everything from ground attacks to securing air control.
The production cost has been kept low, but since the nose and avionics of the Core Fighter have been used, the electronic warfare equipment is more expensive than the previous model.
- 30mm Machine Gun
- A machine gun built into the left side of the fuselage.
- Missiles installed under the wings and at the armament station. Long-range missiles and air-to-air missiles could be equipped.
- Large Smart Bomb
- An anti-surface weapon installed in the armament station. It is a container-shaped guided bomb that sticks into the ground and explodes.
One of the most notable operations the Jet Core Booster took part in was the assault on a Principality of Zeon base in the jungles of Southeast Asia, the mountain fortress being one of the last of Zeon's strongholds on Earth. A large number of Jet Core Booster units were deployed first to acquire air superiority. Once obtained the fighters' roles were switched to bombing the enemy base to cover the advance of the mobile suit assault forces. Some of these fighters would fall victim to Norris Packard's MS-07B-3 Gouf Custom, who used the fighters as impromptu grapple points to attack Federation forces.
After the end of the war, the Earth Federation Forces saw that the future of combat vehicles lay with mobile suits and production of the Jet Core Booster was halted to divert resources to mobile suit research and development. The Jet Core Booster would continue service in U.C 0081, where they would be used in operations against Zeon remnants.
Notes and Trivia
- According to Master Archive Mobile Suit RX-78 Gundam, only 16 Jet Core Boosters were produced. However, this contradicts the depiction in The 08th MS Team. During the bombing of Zeon's mountain base alone, far more than 16 Jet Core Boosters were seen.
- The Master Archive was also the only source for the model number "FFB-7Bst". The Jet Core Booster did not have a model number in any other material.