Technology & Combat Characteristics
The Core Fighter was developed by the Hervic Company for the Earth Federation's Project V. It can be considered as the successor of the old FF-6 TIN Cod fighter jet. Since the data of Project V is essential to the Earth Federation's mobile suit development program, FF-X7 Core Fighters were designed to serve as cockpits for RX-75-4 Guntank, RX-77-2 Guncannon, and RX-78-2 Gundam (as well as RX-78-3 "G-3" Gundam) that are capable of being ejected and escape under their own power. Mobile suits with the Core Block System were composed of three modules: the upper torso and head, the Core Fighter which doubled as the cockpit and torso, and the hips and legs. The concept of the Core Block System was that if the mobile suits were damaged the pilots could escape by disconnecting the three main parts of the mobile suit and unfold the cockpit into its fighter form and then fly away to safety along with data collected in the Core Fighter's computer.
The Core Fighter uses a hybrid propulsion system of rocket thrusters and jets, it can operate effectively in the atmosphere as well as in space. While it wasn't designed for combat the Core Fighter is armed with 25mm Vulcan guns and missile launchers which allows it to fight against enemy fighter craft.
The Hervic Company eventually developed upgraded modules for the Core Fighter to increase its performance as support fighter (the G-Fighter in TV series and FF-X7-Bst Core Booster in movie edition). After the One Year War, the concepts of the Core Block System and the Core Fighter are continued to be used in various mobile suits.
The cockpit of the Core Fighter sports a drum design, which lowers the hit rate of the pilot and ups survivability. The cockpit also mounts a MFD (Multi-Functional Display).
- 25mm Vulcan Gun
- Equipped on the nose of the Core Fighter. While essentially ineffectual against mobile suits' armor, they are useful in intercepting incoming missiles/rockets, destroying mobile suit sensors, and engaging lightly-armored vehicles.
- 4-shot Anti-Ship Missile Launcher
- Two missile launchers are located in the left and right side of the Core Fighter's main body. They are of the open-hatched design, and pop up from the top surface when being used. Each launcher was initially equipped with only a single air-to-air missile, but later upgraded with four missiles each.
- AIM-79 Air-to-Air Missile
- The two missile launchers are loaded with the AIM-79 air-to-air missiles, which are used for bombardment or dealing damage to heavily armored enemies that the vulcan guns are incapable of.
- AIM-77D Air-to-Air Missile
- In addition to the missile launchers, an AIM-77D air-to-air missile can be mounted optionally on each wing via the wing pylons, thus augmenting the Core Fighter's air-to-air combat capacity.
Special Equipment & Features
The FF-X7 Core Fighter was developed as part of the Earth Federation's Project V as mobile suit cockpits and emergency escape craft to increase pilot survivability and to safeguard data acquired the Earth Federation's original nine combat ready mobile suit, of which only three participated in the war. Aside from their original purpose the Core Fighter could be used as a support craft to aid mobile suit in battle either in space or in the Earth's atmosphere. Though effective fighters against the Principality of Zeon's Dopp Fighters and Magella Attack Tanks they would have limited effectiveness during the war.
The Earth Federation ship White Base would field a number of these Core Fighters during the One Year War, however because the Core Block System proves to be too complicated and costly, thus not incorporated in mass production mobile suits, the production of the FF-X7 Core Fighter would be limited to a handful of units. Despite not being mass-produced itself the design would inspire new fighter craft such as the Jet Core Booster. Still, with the advancement of mobile suit technology even these craft would be quickly phased out in favor of more powerful mobile suits.
After the war the FF-X7 Core Fighter would serve as the basis for future Core Fighters of more advanced Gundams.
Notes and Trivia
|MS IGLOO 2 Mechanics|
RGM-79［G］ GM Ground Type | RTX-440 Ground Assault Type Guntank
6×6 Cargo Truck | M353A4 Bloodhound | M72 Lakota | Type 61 Tank
Big Tray-class | Heavy Fork-class
|Aircraft / Spacecraft|
Dragonfly | FF-X7 Core Fighter
|Principality of Zeon|
| Mobile Suit|
MS-05B Zaku I | MS-06J Zaku II Ground Type | MS-07B-3 Gouf Custom | MS-09B Dom
B.M.C. Z78/2 | HT-01B Magella Attack | Magella Eins | PVN.3/2 Sauropelta | PVN.44/1 Weasel | Russel 1/12 Zebu
DFA-03 Dopp | PVN.4/3 Wappa
|Transporter / Supply Ship|
H.L.V. | Komusai | Papua-class
|Cruiser / Mother Ship|
Gaw | Musai-class