Technology & Combat Characteristics
The ν Gundam Heavy Weapons System Type was designed to enhance the ν Gundam's functions in the event of the Second Neo Zeon War becoming prolonged. It is inspired by the F.S.W.S (Full-armor System and Weapon System) plan and provides higher defensive and offensive capabilities. The improved defense is due to additional armor mounted on several parts of the body, and some of these armor pieces have built-in propellant tanks and thrusters to offset the added weight. Meanwhile, its offensive power is boosted by shoulder missile launchers which are improved versions of the MSZ-010 ΖΖ Gundam's, as well as more powerful beam rifle and shield known as hyper mega rifle and high mega shield respectively. However, the Heavy Weapon System plan was never completed due to ν Gundam's rushed deployment and eventual MIA status.
- 60mm Vulcan Gun
- Mounted in the head, the pair of shell firing weapons have a high rate of fire but little power and can't damage the armor of a mobile suit, though they can damage lightly armored areas such as the sensors. They are ideal for shooting down small, lightly armored targets such as missiles, attack vehicles, etc.
- Beam Saber
- The primary beam saber used by the ν Gundam, it is stored on the right side of the backpack and is also known as Custom Beam Saber. Output 0.85 MW. Features a curved beam blade, and can also emit a short blade from the bottom of the grip. Compared to earlier models, it is more energy efficient due to the 'Auto Power On' feature, which enables the saber to instantaneously generate a beam blade only during moments of impact with enemy suits.
- Spare Beam Saber
- Equipped on the left arm's shield mount base. It is a standard-issue beam saber and has a lower output than the primary beam saber.
- Beam Rifle
- A high-powered beam rifle with a output of 3.8 MW. At maximum output, the beam fired is comparable in power to that of a battleship-class main cannon from the same time period. Can also function as a beam machine gun. A single-shot grenade launcher is mounted above the rifle's barrel.
- New Hyper Bazooka
- A 280mm five round magazine hyper bazooka that has improved firing range and destructive power compared to the Hyper Bazooka used by other Earth Federation MS. The bazooka can be fired even when stored on the backpack, catching the opponent by surprise. It is capable of destroying an enemy unit in a single shot and is mostly used to take out slow, heavily armored targets.
- Hyper Mega Rifle
- The most powerful beam weapon of the suit, at its maximum output, the Hyper Mega Rifle's power is comparable to that of several battleship-class mega particle cannons. This weapon also supported ultra-long-range sniping and featured a bipod for precision firing. A sensor built into the rifle adjusts the power output according to the target's distance, and could be controlled via the mobile suit's psycho-frame system.
- High Mega Shield
- An enhanced version of the ν Gundam's shield through the addition of equipment. It is armed with two large caliber mega particle cannons. The generator for the beam cannon installed in the ν Gundam's shield is used for powering these cannons, and a large capacity condenser system is also built in, greatly reducing the weight of the E-Cap system. Although the cannons' firepower is comparable to the High Mega Cannon, they lack rapid fire capability because it takes time to fill the condenser with energy.
- Shoulder Missile Launcher
- An improved version of the multi-use launchers that were widely used in the Gryps Conflict, the Missile Launchers mounted on the shoulders of the H.W.S. can use a wide variety of munitions. During the conceptualisation stage, the launcher was supposed to be fitted with Psycommu Grenades, a weapon in which its trajectory can be controlled to a certain degree by the pilot. However, the plan did not materialise due to development problems with the Psycommu Grenade, but it was said to be linked to the later development of a similar weapon called the "Funnel Missile".
- Fin Funnel
- A remote weapon unique to the ν Gundam. When attacking, it bends into a U shape and a magnetic field is created between the two generator arms for generating and accelerating the mega particles. Since they have built-in generators rather than the E-caps used by funnels, they are more expensive to construct, but they have longer operational time and fire more powerful beams. Each fin funnel has an output of 3.0 MW and can fire 7 shots in a single charge. The fin funnels also can generate a unique beam shield, known as a "fin funnel barrier", to protect against beam weaponry and solid projectiles. However, if an enemy funnel enters the barrier, it may cause physiological damage to the pilot due to psycho-wave interference. Although larger than normal funnels, the fin funnels have higher mobility as its triple block structure allows for AMBAC movements in addition to being propelled by its thruster.
Special Equipment & Features
- Birdlime Launchers
- Fires an adhesive substance from the hands that can be used to repair small cracks in colony wall or to restrain soldiers on foot.
- Dummy Launchers
- Stored in the hands, these launchers can deploy mobile suit sized dummy balloons as decoys.
- Psycho-Frame Cockpit
- The cockpit is composed of microscopic Psycommu receptors that allow the pilot to control the suit as if it is his/her own body. A psycommu receiver is located at the back of the pilot's headrest. The cockpit also features airmats that are used in case of impact.
Notes & Trivia
- This mobile suit appears as a playable unit in the PlayStation 2 mecha action video game Another Century's Episode 3: The Final.
- In SD Gundam Capsule Fighter Online, the Heavy Weapons System is considered one of the more powerful units in the game. In HWS mode, the unit is armed with homing missiles, the Hyper Beam Cannon and Fin Funnels, which are strong enough to shoot down all projectiles, including the tracer rounds for the Ranged Special Attack. In Purged mode, it loses the Fin Funnels and armor in exchange for the Hyper Bazooka, Beam Rifle and Beam Saber.
|Londo Bell/Earth Federation|
|ν Gundam's variations|
FA-93HWS ν Gundam Heavy Weapons System Type | RX-93 ν Gundam Double Fin Funnel Type | RX-93-ν2 Hi-ν Gundam
RGC-90 Jegan Heavy Armor Type | RGM-89S Prototype Stark Jegan
RGZ-91B Re-GZ Custom
|Geara Doga's variations|
AMS-119 Geara Doga Heavy Armed Type | AMS-119S Geara Doga Kai | AMS-120X Geara Doga Psycommu System Test Type
| NZ-333 α Azieru's variations|
NZ-222 Psyco Doga | NZ-444 β Azieru