Technology & Combat Characteristics
The Full Armor Gundam has several removable armor modules placed over the RX-78-2 Gundam's existing armor. These new armor modules also incorporated additional thrusters and maneuvering verniers. The new weaponry of the Full Gundam consists of a large rocket-firing cannon mounted on the right side of its backpack, four missile launchers (two mounted in the upper torso and two more in the knees), and a new two-barreled beam rifle secured to the right arm.
However, due to the Full Armor Gundam's massive increase in weight, it suffered a sharp drop in mobility which the new thrusters could not sufficiently compensate for. Although the Full Armor Gundam Full was deemed to be a failure, the Earth Federation continued to design new upgrades for the RX-78-2 Gundam under Full-Armor System and Weapon System (FSWS) program. The plans for the unit would later be used as the basis for creating the FA-78-2 Heavy Gundam.
- 60mm Vulcan Gun
- A standard armament of the mobile suits of the Earth Federation Forces is a pair of head mounted 60mm vulcan guns. These shell firing weapons have a high rate of fire but little power, and can't damage the thick armor of a mobile suit. However, they can damage lightly armored areas such as the sensors, and are ideal for shooting down small, lightly armored targets such as missiles, attack vehicles, etc.
- 360mm Rocket Launcher
- A large rocket-firing cannon mounted on the right side of the backpack.
- Missile Launcher
- There are four missile launchers on the Full Armor Gundam, one on each knee and two on the upper torso.
- Beam Saber
- The standard close range armament for most Federation mobile suits. The beam saber is a small cylindrical device held in the mobile suit's hands when operated and is powered by an energy capacitor. The beam saber can cut through any armor not treated with anti-beam coating. The Full Armor Gundam can optionally carry 2 beam sabers on the rear skirt armor, but lacks the ability to recharge them.
- Twin Beam Rifle
- A double barrel beam rifle attached to the right arm and is powered by rechargeable energy cap. The particle beam fired from the twin beam rifle could penetrate almost any armor not treated with specific counter-measures.
- Small Shield
- The left forearm is equipped with a small shield, which could be mounted with spare barrels for the twin beam rifle.
Special Equipment & Features
- The prototype mobile suits produced by the Earth Federation Forces' Operation V, are equipped with a central block which houses the mobile suit's cockpit, control systems and main power source. This core block can eject in case of emergency and unfold into a small Core Fighter.
- Full-Armor System and Weapon System (FSWS)
- The upgrade program, developed several options packs to increase the Gundam's combat ability. It includes new weapon and extra armor plates, The system increases the Gundam's firepower and resilient considerately, but also reduce its maneuverability by a large margin.
As the RX-78-2 Gundam continued to score victory after victory against the Zeon forces in the One Year War, the Earth Federation Forces engineers began to devise several different upgrades to supplement and further increase the combat capabilities of the Gundam. The upgrade program, called the Full-Armor System and Weapon System (FSWS), developed several options packs to increase the Gundam's already considerable power. One of these designs was the Full Armor Gundam, which vastly enhanced the Gundam's firepower and armor, but had reduced mobility due to its increase weight. The Full Armor Gundam was piloted at the Battle of A Baoa Qu by Lieutenant Heinz Baer and was destroyed by Johnny Ridden's MS-06R-2 Zaku II High Mobility Type ("Full Bullet Zaku" in other media).
Notes and Trivia