Technology & Combat Characteristics
The F70 Cannon Gundam is a prototype support mobile suit developed as part of the SNRI's Formula project with the aim of mass-producing the F90S Gundam F90 Support Type. This high performance machine adopts the universal standard for weapons and can use many of the Earth Federation Forces' weapons like the RGM-109 Heavygun's beam rifle and beam saber. Its main weapon, the triple machine cannons, are mounted on the shoulder hardpoints and can be replaced with a beam cannon or a 150mm high-velocity cannon that fires physical projectiles. These weapons on the shoulder hardpoints can be forcibly purged during close combat and the like. Design changes led to the creation of the mass production type F71 G-Cannon, with Anaheim Electronics as an OEM to undertake production of the new machine. As a result, the Cannon Gundam is also known as "Prototype G-Cannon". The Cannon Gundam was completed in U.C. 0122, but its development was confidential within SNRI, and its existence was announced only after the deployment of the G-Cannon.
- Vulcan Gun
- A pair of physical projectile firing armament built into the head. Though not powerful, its high rate of fire meant it was employed to intercept incoming missiles, etc.
- Triple Machine Cannon
- The primary weapons of the Cannon Gundam is a pair of back mounted machine cannons. These triple barreled cannons can fire physical projectiles rapidly.
- Beam Saber
- The standard close range armament for most mobile suits, it is a small device held in the mobile suit's hands when operated and is powered by a rechargeable energy capacitor. The beam saber emits a blade of plasma contained by an I-Field and can cut through most armor not treated with anti-beam coating.
- Double Beam Gun
- A small-caliber beam weapon attached to both forearms.
- Beam Rifle
- The same portable firearm as used by the RGM-109 Heavygun, it features a full barrel structure for barrel protection and to maintain accuracy. As the weapon is developed during a time where anti-MS combat is not the main focus and usage of beam rifles are actively avoided to protect the space colonies, it is installed with a sub-sensor as well as a limiter to avoid excessive power.
Alongside the F90 Gundam F90, the F70 Cannon Gundam was attached to the EFSF's 13th Experimental Squadron for field testings.