The Dolos-class is a supersized space carrier of the Zeon forces that appears in the anime Mobile Suit Gundam.
Technology & Combat Characteristics
A space carrier of the Principality of Zeon. It is one of the largest ships of the One Year War, boasting a size that surpasses not only other Zeon ships, but even the Earth Federation's ships of the time. As a space carrier, it is capable of carrying and maintaining a large number of mobile suits and mobile armors, and has excellent deployment capabilities thanks to its seven catapults. In addition to the bridge, it also has several control stations throughout the hull, giving it a high command capability. While it boasts the firepower of a fortress, its anti-aircraft firepower is low, and it relies on mobile suits and other escort units. Also, due to its massive size, it has low mobility, and was mainly used as a mobile fortress.
- Twin Mega Particle Gun
- The Dolos-class is equipped with eight dual-barreled mega particle guns, with six built into the sides and another two mounted in the rear.
- Twin Anti-Aircraft Gun
- A pair of dual-barreled machine guns are mounted on the rear of the Dolo-class for anti-air purposes.
At least two of these vessels were built. The second ship, Dolowa, was originally stationed at the moon under Kycilia Zabi, but she gifted it to Dozle Zabi in exchange for his approval in the establishment of a submarine fleet at California Base. After the loss of Solomon, the still incomplete Dolowa carried the surviving Zeon forces toward A Baoa Qu, protected from Federation pursuers by Zeon ace pilot Anavel Gato and his squadron.
Both ships saw action during the Battle of A Baoa Qu, with the Dolos stationed in the N field and the Dolowa, which served as Anavel Gato's mothership, stationed in the S field. Due to their importance, both ships were the targets of concentrated attacks by the Earth Federation Forces.
At 9:40, the Dolos was sunk by the Federation 3rd fleet, drastically weakening the Zeon forces in N field. At 10:10, the Dolowa was also sunk. The loss of both Dolos-class dealt a significant blow to the Zeon defenders, and the fortress fell not long after. After learning of the Dolowa's fate, Anavel Gato was convinced by Captain Aiguille Delaz to join his fleet and retreat from A Baoa Qu.
According to Mobile Suit Gundam Battlefield Record: Avant-Title, though the Dolowa's engine was destroyed, the ship itself remained mostly intact. Its crew appear to have survived the battle as well.
Notes & Trivia
- All scenes featuring the Dolos were reanimated for the compilation movie. However, the scene where it was destroyed was omitted.
- Mobile Suit Gundam Encyclopedia NO.15 - Strategy Encyclopedia, p.88
- Mobile Suit Gundam Encyclopedia NO.15 - Strategy Encyclopedia, p.111
- Mobile Suit Gundam 0083: Stardust Memory Episode 1: Gundamjack
- Mobile Suit Gundam Encyclopedia NO.15 - Strategy Encyclopedia, p.125
- Mobile Suit Gundam Encyclopedia NO.15 - Strategy Encyclopedia, p.128
- The text description of the Battle of A Baoa Qu on page 126 stated that the Dolowa was sunk at 9:40, and did not mention when the Dolos was sunk, contradicting the Battle of A Baoa Qu timeline on page 128. For the purpose of this article, times given by the timeline is used.