Personality & Character
She is a mild-mannered beauty whose appearance and personality are exactly what you would expect from the "sister next door". She is strong-minded and has a strong sense of responsibility.
Skills & Abilities
After graduating from high school, she entered the Federation Space Force Academy in September of 0076, and graduated first in her class in 0078. While still in school, she aspired to become a fighter pilot and wanted to be assigned to the War Technology Research Group, an elite unit, but the One Year War broke out almost as soon as she was assigned. She joins a test squadron under the command of the Space Force Integrated Technology Research Headquarters, where her piloting skills are impressive for a rookie. After that, the test unit was reorganized and became the G-4 unit, and he was selected to be Alex's full-time pilot. However, she was not a genuine test pilot, but a computer engineer by trade. As a "shoe-fitter," she is in charge of adjusting the Gundam NT-1's educational computer.
Cristina was the test pilot selected to evaluate the RX-78NT-1 Gundam "Alex" due to her exceptional piloting ability despite being a new graduate from the academy. Although both she and the Alex's engineers mention that the suit was far too sensitive to be used by her effectively as she was not a Newtype. Her hometown is Side 6's Ribo colony, the site of a secret Federation mobile suit R&D facility.
Chris is the neighbor and friend of Alfred Izuruha, being the closest thing to a big sister for Al. At the beginning of War in the Pocket, Chris just returns from Earth, and is assigned to collect field data for the new NT-1 unit, which is "designed for a pilot from White Base". One night, she sees a young man sneaking around Al's house, and thinking he's a burglar, she knocks him out from behind with a baseball bat. The man turns out to be Bernard Wiseman, who Al claims is his "older brother". Despite the rocky start, Chris and Bernie get along well, and if the reaction of Chris' parents is any indication, their attraction to each other is fairly obvious.
Chris would lie of her true status as a test pilot, instead claiming she only worked on data gathering for the military.
In a tragic twist of fate, Bernie is actually a Zeon soldier and a junior member of the Cyclops Team sent to the colony to destroy the Gundam Alex. The team, including Bernie, would sneak into the facility, but its security would catch them in the act when Bernie flubs his answers leading to fight inside the base.
As Mikhail Kaminsky's MS-18E Kämpfer was running amok and had destroyed several GMs, Christina was called to take the Gundam Alex to defeat the unit. Despite the attempts of the Cyclops team, the Gundam Alex is untouched, and Chris boards the mobile suit to face Kaminsky after he had already used up most of his weapons.
While the Alex's Chobam Armor would be destroyed by a chain mine that Kaminsky had grabbed, Christina would be able to put the unit down by firing the Gundam Alex's gatling guns through the Kämpfer's thin armor. Despite her success, she is still scolded by her superiors for fighting at an urban area despite Christina arguing that more casualties would've occurred if she didn't fight.
Bernie, the sole survivor of his team in the battle, later launches a surprise attack on the Gundam in a lone Zaku. Chris also launches to fight and decides to forego her advantage in fighting the Zaku in a flat and open terrain to avoid civilians. She is drawn into a forest, where Bernie had laid several large Christmas balloons and smoke bombs to distract Chris and allow him to enter close range. Chris manages to graze Bernie's cockpit, but the Zaku's heat axe cuts through one of the Gundam Alex's arms and damages the Gundam Alex's cockpit as well. Bernie would tackle the Gundam Alex down the forest's hill before they charge each other for a final attack. Chris impales the Zaku's cockpit with her beam saber and unknowingly kills Bernie. The resulting explosion also incapacitates the Gundam Alex, which had also lost its main camera to the heat hawk. Al, who comes in a rush to stop the fight, only arrives to witness the result of their battle.
After a brief recovery, she leaves the colony to head back to Earth. While bidding farewell to Al, she asks Al to say goodbye to Bernie for her. Al keeps the fact that Bernie was killed to himself.
Almost three months after leaving the colony, Chris would write back to Al, asking if Bernie is doing well and talking about his odd first impression after accidentally being hit with a bat though she is still apologetic for the incident. Because peace was now returning, she was unsure when she'd be able to quit the military, but she expresses her wish to be able to meet Al and Bernie again and to travel to new places.
Notes & Trivia
- MS Era depicts Chris and many other mobile suit pilot candidates at California in September, U.C. 0079. This is strange, since North America in general and California Base in particular were still controlled by Zeon at that point.
- An Anaheim Electronics electronics employee resembling Chris can be seen briefly in the seventh episode of Mobile Suit Gundam 0083: Stardust Memory, With Shining Blue Fire, although there hasn't been any confirmation it is her.
- Aside from making one cameo in a circle of screens, Christina Mackenzie is one of the many characters that doesn't make a voiced appearance in the Message from GUNDAM "BEYOND" PSA.
In Other Media
- In the Mobile Suit Gundam 0080―Dissappeared Gundam NT game book, she is able to meet Sleggar Law and Tem Ray and, depending on the deployment, face off against Char Aznable, Johnny Ridden etc.
- She is among the Earth Federation characters that appear in the SD Gundam G Generation series of strategy games, and— depending on which title it is in the series— may kill Bernie as in the OVA, convince him to switch sides, or even not meet him on the battlefield at all.
- In the Gihren's Greed series of games, Chris appears on the Federation side. In the OVA, Chris was implied to be an exceptional pilot, and that is reflected in her statistics; her shooting stat, for example, is well above average. She appears once research on the Alex is complete, but may be temporarily unavailable due to injury (as depicted in Gundam 0080). On the Zeon side, it is possible for Bernie to successfully capture both the Alex and Chris. What becomes of Chris should this occur is unknown, but it is reasonable to assume she is held prisoner for the remainder of the war. In the Playstation Portable release of the game, Chris could potentially join the Titans if the player's alignment reaches Law.
- Chris also appears in the Playstation Portable game Gundam Battle Universe. Should the player choose to play as a Federation pilot in the 0079 campaign, she appears as an allied ace pilot in the mission 'War in the Pocket', a mission based on the OVA episode of the same name. In the mission, the player must defeat several Zeon mobile suits to trigger the simultaneous appearances of Chris in the Gundam Alex and enemy ace Mikhail Kaminsky in the MS-18E Kampfer. After the player has defeated Kaminsky, they must, with Chris, defeat Bernie's Zaku II Kai in a field full of large Santa balloons. After the successful completion of the mission, Chris becomes available as a guest pilot. Conversely, Chris is an enemy ace in the Zeon side mission 'War in the Pocket', whom the player and their partner must destroy with the aid of first Kaminsky and then Bernie. Chris appears as an enemy for the Zeon campaign in the mission 'The Glory of Solomon', piloting a GM mobile suit alongside Yuu Kajima. This seems to indicate Chris's reassignment as an active service combat pilot after her recovery, although this never occurs in the actual series or the OVA.
- Because Gundam 0080's Mobile Suits are generally weaker than the powerhouses of other Universal Century series, Bernie and Chris do not appear very often in the Super Robot Wars games. Chris is often part of the player's forces from the beginning, and Bernie may be convinced to join during the course of the game. They last appeared in Super Robot Wars GC/XO, where Chris shows Amuro Ray the Alex and the Gundam "G-3" and reprises her role in the OVA. In the sub-scenario of the stage depicting the demise of Bernie's squad, depending on the player's choice, Chris may either kill Bernie or cripple his Zaku and then convince him to join the player's side.
- Following the trend of 0080's suits being weak compared to the other units, the Extreme vs. Full Boost assigns both the Alex and Bernie's ZAKU with the game's lowest cost at 1000. This is later upgraded to 1500 when Maxi Boost increased the floor cost of units.
- Emma Sheen shows Chris a great amount of respect, stating that the data obtained from the Alex was one of the key factors that ended the One Year War. Chan Agi is also thankful for the work and data that test pilots like Chris provide.
- Nimbus Schterzen mistakes Chris for Marion Whelch due to them sharing the same voice actress.
- Chris and Bernie often have special dialogue when facing each other on the battlefield in the various video game series. For example, in Mobile Suit Gundam: Lost War Chronicles, Chris exclaims "Bernie?! You're a Zeon?!"; while in Mobile Suit Gundam Climax U.C. Bernie calls on Chris to stop fighting as he doesn't want to hurt her.
- Chris and Bernie are also the unfortunate butt of many jokes in various 4-koma comics based on the Gundam and Super Robot Wars series, mostly surrounding the fact that while Chris pilots a Gundam in an army composing of other high-powered mobile suits, Bernie pilots a comparatively weak Zaku.
- In the final stage of Mobile Suit Gundam Climax U.C., where the player must battle the main Gundams of the U.C. Gundam series, Chris is notable as being the only female Gundam pilot.
- In Gundam Build Fighters's, 23rd episode, Chris, Al and Bernie are referenced by an identical looking group.
- 『データガンダム キャラクター列伝［宇宙世紀編I］』角川書店、2010年4月、175頁。(ISBN 978-4047154452)
War in the Pocket characters
|Earth Federation||Christina Mackenzie | Stuart | Richard Lumunba|
|Principality of Zeon||Killing | Von Helsing | Charlie | Rugens | Carioca|
|Cyclops Team||Bernard Wiseman | Steiner Hardy | Gabriel Ramirez Garcia | Mikhail Kaminsky | Andy Strauss|
|Civilians||Alfred Izuruha | Chay | Telcott | Dolores Hayes | Mrs. Mackenzie | Mr. Mackenzie | Michiko Izuruha | Ems Izuruha|