The Ballistic Equipment & Space Patrol Armory, or simply BESPA (ベスパ), is the name of the Zanscare imperial army. Originally the Side 2 branch of the Earth Federation Forces' very own MS development think-tank, the SNRI.
BESPA was established simultaneously following the founding of the Side 2 movement initiated by the Zanscare Empire. The SNRI Side 2 branch was forcibly occupied and personnel and research facilities were requisitioned to provide the mobile weapons for the small nation; as the Earth Federation had fallen on hard times, the new BESPA weapons allowed them to more than handle the EF's outmoded weaponry.
Mobile Suit Development Facilities
- Amelia (アメリア?)
- A facility located in the Zanscare Empire's capital in Side 2. The site of BESPA's early MS development, the space-use Zoloat was developed here. In addition, the development of next-generation MS such as the Tomliat, Shokew, Contio, and Zollidia was done here.
- Super-Psyco Research Institute (スーパーサイコ研究所?)
- Responsible for the development of the Zanneck, Gengaozo, and Rig Contio.
- Neo Cartagena (ネオ・カタルヘナ?)
- A BESPA development base located on the Moon. Development of special machines such as the Recarl, Abigor, and Doggorla were carried out here.
- Largane (ラゲーン?)
- BESPA's Earth facility, it was used as the forward base of Zanscare's Earth invasion . The mass-production Zolo was developed here as well as the experimental Godzorla, Galguyu, and Memedorza.
- Yellow Jacket
- Pippiniden Company
- Gadarl Corps
- Keilas Guilie Fleet
- Zugan Fleet
- Motorad Fleet
- Local Guard Division
- Tassilo Fleet
- The acronym of "BESPA" is taken from the Italian word "vespa", meaning "wasp"; see BESPA logo, "Yellow Jacket" branch, etc. It is something of a pun, as Japanese uses the same sound for the B and V sounds of other languages.
- NEW Mobile Suit Variation Handbook 1