Waltfeld has a brash personality in both terms; he's nice and likeable, but serious when engaged in warfare. When he first met Kira & Cagalli, his personality was more like a know-it-all stranger. But, as it progressed, he changed his personality to that of a strict individual toward his enemies and would kill them on the spot. Later, Waltfeld resumes a commanding role when he captains the FFMH-Y101 Eternal. He is sly, cool headed and dedicated to keeping the peace and preventing war as a member of Terminal.
Skill & Abilities
Due to his skill and piloting the ground unit in desert, Andrew Waltfeld gained the nickname of "Desert Tiger". As the pilot of the LaGOWE, Waltfeld was well known for the operation of this unit, with his lover Aisha operating as his gunner. However, due to the loss of his left arm and left eye after the destruction of LaGOWE, it can be conjectured that Waltfeld might have lost some proficiency in operating a mobile suit. During the assassination of Lacus Clyne, the former ZAFT commander had improved his handgun skill against the specially trained assassins while also using the shotgun that was concealed in his prosthetic left arm. It can be assumed that Waltfeld eventually regained enough of his former piloting skill, as evidenced by his operation in his custom Murasame and Gaia Gundam.
Andrew Waltfeld (A.K.A. Desert Tiger) is one ZAFT's best commanders and pilots. Waltfeld is commander of the ZAFT forces in the PLANT-pledged African Community, headquartered at Banadiya, and is ably assisted by his executive officer Martin DaCosta. Waltfeld earned his fame for his great tactical skill at desert combat, as demonstrated on May 30, CE 70, when he defeated a Eurasian Federation tank corps at El Alamein, using the new TMF/A-802 BuCUE and older TFA-2 ZuOOT mobile suits. His passions are archeology (especially Egyptology), paleontology, and coffee. Waltfeld seems to have an obsession with coffee and experiments with different blends and flavors oftentimes making odd combinations for himself such as adding kona to one of his blends. He lives with his girlfriend-companion, Aisha, who also assists him in his military operations and actually serves as the co-pilot of his orange-colored customized TMF/A-803 LaGOWE. Not much is known about Aisha, and her last name is conspicuously left out in the anime. But the one thing that is evident is that Waltfeld cares for Aisha and the latter is very much devoted to this benevolent ZAFT commander; in both series he keeps a photo of her close by. His flagship is the land battleship Lesseps, which is escorted by the land cruisers Petrie and Henry Carter.
First Alliance-PLANT War
When the Archangel was traveling through the desert, He deployed his forces accordingly to deter the Archangel's escape from the desert as long as possible but his plans were marred by the unexpected intervention of reinforcements from Cagalli's Desert Dawn anti-ZAFT guerrilla force. He was also the first ZAFT personnel on Earth to not underestimate the pilot of the Strike Gundam. For example; he chuckled in his calm evaluation of the Strike Gundam's sudden adaptation to the sandy terrain of the desert. Waltfeld inadvertently became acquainted with Kira Yamato, and grew fond of the young pilot, which made the subsequent inevitable confrontation between them more difficult. During his battle with Kira and the Strike, his LaGOWE was summarily destroyed, seemingly killing both Aisha and Waltfeld as they both hugged each other while their unit became engulfed in explosions.
Battle of Mendel
Luck seemingly befalls Waltfeld when Lowe Guele and his Junk Guild companions discovered and rescued him and he was soon back in the PLANTs. Waltfeld claimed loyalty to Chairman Patrick Zala in the name of vengeance, and was assigned as captain of the support ship Eternal; however, along with Martin DaCosta and other Clyne Faction loyalists, he helped Lacus Clyne to steal the ship and teamed up with the Archangel and Orb's Kusanagi, and despite obviously training for ground battles, he proved himself to be a competent captain of a space ship.
Second Alliance-PLANT War
Second Assassination Attempt on Lacus
After the First Alliance-PLANT War, Waltfeld lives in the Orb Union with Archangel captain Murrue Ramius, who also lost a lover in the war. He receives a prosthetic arm, which conceals a shotgun. Apparently, he was also made Captain in the Orb Union's Military. In CE 73, Orb was in the process of its eventual decision to join the Atlantic Federation. Knowing the ZAFT ship, LHM-BB01 Minerva was still within territory for repairs, Waltfeld sent a secret message to its captain, Talia Gladys, warning her of their situation and advising them to immediately evacuate. As a Coordinator, Waltfeld's fate is left in question and concern for Ramius. Although he has the option to go back to PLANT under the more moderate and tolerant Gilbert Durandal, he also offers Ramius the same sanctuary in the case things do not work out .
Later that night, a group of armed Coordinators approach their mansion with the intent of killing Lacus. Their presence is noticed by Haro, and Waltfeld and the others are immediately alerted of their presence. Because of this, Waltfeld opts to go out and distract the majority of the gunmen, while leaving Ramius to escort Lacus, Kira, Reverend Malchio, Caridad Yamato and the orphans to their mansion's armored bunker.
Once he regroups with them, the assassins are forced to pilot their mobile suits in order to break through. With little option left, Andrew asks Lacus for the keys leading to the repaired Freedom's hangar. Once Kira is able to pilot his unit, he is able to cripple all of the assassins, who all opt to self-detonate their units rather than be captured.
Aboard the Archangel
After the assassination attempt on Lacus, he leaves Orb aboard the Archangel with Kira, Lacus, and Murrue. While Murrue offers him command of the ship, Waltfeld declines, instead serving as an operator and pilot for both Archangel with his custom MVF-M11C Murasame mobile suit.
Their first task is to abduct Cagalli during her political wedding with Yuna Roma Seiran. Once they bring her back, Cagalli eventually breaks down from her inability to do anything of her wishes for Orb's future. The group eventually decide to act independently should conflict find its way once again to Orb
While docked underwater after being hosted by the Kingdom of Scandinavia, Waltfeld and the Archangel's crew are surprised to find an imposter Lacus under the employ of Chairman Durandal. Concurrently, western Eurasia has become increasingly unstable due to the second war, leading to the area being placed under ruthless administration and many wishing to break away and gain independence. Although the crew believe that Durandal will likely make use of the opportunity and assist the separatist factions, Kira believes this to all be an opportunistic move to improve his public reception given the assassination attempt on Lacus.
To Cagalli's greatest fears, Orb's military forces are finally deployed to help hunt down the Minerva after its many interferences throughout the Atlantic Federation's territories. The two sides end up meeting at Dardanelles, where Cagalli emerges and attempts to stop the Orb forces. In response, Yuna declares her to be an imposter and orders for her to be attacked. With Kira focused on the battle itself, Waltfeld goes out to defend Cagalli from Orb's forces.
After this complication, Waltfeld and Lacus both depart from the Archangel's crew to monitor the PLANTs as well as to uncover Chairman Durandal's ulterior motives. To do so, they hijack a shuttle, and are able to escape thanks to Kira's aid.
Returning to the Eternal
After the pair rejoin the Eternal, the two coordinate with their allies from Terminal's asteroid base. During this period of time, Waltfeld and the others opt to remain hidden, using their time in space to gather data regarding Chairman Durandal. Their attempts eventually lead them to discover the "Destiny Plan", a radical solution of ending conflict by stripping people of their future choices and acting only according to the Chairman's pinpointed path of what they would be best for based on their genetics and talents.
At the same time, however, ZAFT forces discover the location of the Eternal, Waltfeld pilots a custom-colored ZGMF-X88S Gaia Gundam in an attempt to hold off the enemy forces as the Eternal sends off the new Infinite Justice Gundam and Strike Freedom Gundam to Earth. Kira Yamato's timely arrival in Cagalli's Strike Rouge (its PS armor changed to Strike's colors) helps even the odds and promptly gives him the opportunity to tell the young Coordinator to dock with the Eternal and claim his new mobile suit. After regrouping with Kira Yamato, Waltfeld returns to being captain of the Eternal for the duration of the series and leaves the fighting to other units.
In the Special Edition ending, Andrew is seen making coffee for Murrue Ramius and Mu La Flaga.
|“||You have every reason to want revenge on me.
That's what happens in war. Everyone has some kind of reason, but no one does.
|“||I can't see how getting rid of all the Coordinators would lead to a pure world. I don't even know what a pure world is.||”|
—Andrew Waltfeld, Mobile Suit Gundam Seed
|“||Unlike in sports, the game of war has no set time limit and no points are awarded, so how do you determine the winners and the losers? When all your enemies are destroyed? Perhaps then.||”|
—Andrew Waltfeld, Mobile Suit Gundam Seed
|“||The first time I actually ever had to shoot somebody, it turned my stomach. They told me I'd get used to it in time. And after a while, that's what happened.||”|
—Andrew Waltfeld, Mobile Suit Gundam Seed
|“||There's no other way. I'm not giving up until one of us is destroyed.||”|
|“||Lacus. You have the keys, don't you? We'll open the door. There's no choice. Or do you think it'd be better for everyone here to die obediently?||”|
|“|| I guess so, from PLANT's prespective.
Andrew Waltfeld.,Mobile Suit Gundam SEED Destiny
- Waltfeld's name in the original Japanese has also been spelled "Andorew Waldfeld", and because of the pronunciation, his last name has also been interpreted as "Bartfeldt". Waltfeld's fated encounter and battle with Kira Yamato in the desert is reminiscent of Ramba Ral's encounter with Amuro Ray in Mobile Suit Gundam. However, while Ral died not long after meeting Amuro, Waltfeld didn't have the same fate. Instead, he assisted Kira and thus became one of his friends.
- Andrew's "Desert Tiger" nickname ("Sabaku no Tora") is most likely a reference to the "Desert Fox" moniker of famed WWII general Erwin Rommel.
- Waltfeld once commented on Yzak's scar, stating that: "When one doesn't have a bad scar removed, some might think it's a symbol of... commitment." When Yzak looked away from Waltfield, the latter said "Or since you turned your head maybe it's a symbol of your humiliation."
Waltfeld's words reflect his choice to keep his scar in SEED Destiny. Signifying that he is ashamed of living while Aisha died in the battle against an Earth Alliance soldier (Kira), or is committed to making things right (possibly in honor of his beloved Aisha).
- In both series, Andrew appears to be quite knowledgeable on coffee and its preparation.
- Waltfeld shares similarities to Jeremiah Gottwald in the Code Geass series. Both were initially antagonists aimed at defeating the protagonists and both were nearly killed until both characters actually survived their encounter. Both men also at first sought revenge against the protagonists (Lelouch in Code Geass) but their loyalty towards a friendly faction allowed them to betray their original allegiances and sided with the protagonists in the end.
- There has been a strong question on the topic of how survived his battle with Kira Yamato, while in his TMF/A-803 LaGOWE. The last scene of the battle showed him and Aisha hugging each other. To this date it remains a mystery on how he survived the destruction of his Mobile Suit.
- Ryotaro Okiayu also voice Treize Khushrenada on Mobile Suit Wing.
- Waltfeld appears in the Extreme Vs series as a pilot for the LaGOWE and his custom Gaia. Waltfeld's Gaia differs from Stella's in the sense that he is unable to fully utilize the unit's MA mode, but his Gaia's MS mode is stronger than Stella's, and he can perform certain actions that would normally require Stella to be in MA mode.
- In the Extreme Vs. series, Waltfeld mentions that he is not fond of Rau Le Creuset.
- In Gundam SEED DESTINY Suit CD Vol. 8's Suit Mini-Drama "Secret Strategy", Andrew is revealed to be a closet fan of Meer Campbell, since he has almost all of the hard-to-find media merchandise in his collection. He shows some of them to Lacus Clyne, but claims that they are for "intelligence-gathering" purposes only. Andrew nonetheless proceeds to teach Lacus some of Meer's dance moves until Kira walks in on them.