The Agamemnon-class is a carrier spaceship in the Cosmic Era timeline.
Technology & Combat Characteristics
Often utilized as the flagships of the OMNI Enforcer's space fleets, the Agamemnon-class is the largest warship in the faction before the development of the Archangel-class assault ship. Since it is designed mainly as a carrier, the Agamemnon-class is minimally armed, featuring two Dual High-energy Beam Cannons and several Vulcan Guns for defense. Most ships of this class are also accompanied by smaller warships, such as the Drake-class, for added protection.
Thanks to its large hangar, the ship can carry a large number of mobile suits or mobile armors, which can also serve as its defense units. Initially, it was designed to carry only mobile armors, which are deployed rapidly using the linear catapults on its left and right sides. During the later stages of the First Alliance-PLANT War, the Agamemnon-class was modified to carry mobile suits. After the war, further modifications to the Agamemnon-class resulted in its dual linear catapults being replaced with a single linear catapult located at the front of the ship.
- "Gottfried Mk.71" 225cm Dual High-energy Beam Cannon
- Vulcan Gun
First Alliance-PLANT War
On February 14, CE 70, the Roosevelt was the ship from which nuclear missiles were fired to destroy the PLANT colony Junius Seven. On February 11, CE 71, the Agamemnon-class ship, the Menelaos, under the command of Admiral Lewis Halberton who commanded the 8th fleet, met with the Archangel, which it would protect. However, the fleet was attacked by ZAFT and the Menelaos itself was sunk together with many other vessels of the fleet.
In September CE 71, four Agamemnon-class ships, among them the Washington, Doolittle and Oda Nobunga, carried several nuclear missiles and TS-MA2 Moebius mobile armors for attacking the PLANT homeland. The Doolittle, which was commanded by Blue Cosmos member Admiral William Sutherland, was eventually sunk on the last day of the First Alliance-PLANT War by Yzak Joule in his GAT-X102 Duel Gundam. Several other Agamemnon-class ships also took part in the Second Battle of Jachin Due, with many of them being destroyed.
One Agamemnon-class ship, the Ortigia was under command of Captain Meriol Pristis, a member of the Eurasian Federation's "Special Operatives X" and usually stationed at the Artemis asteroid fortress. The ship served as the base of operations of Canard Pars during his time as a pilot for the Federation. From this ship, Canard conducted several missions, until Garcia ordered his arrest. The crew of the ship however remained loyal to Canard and defected. Afterwards, the ship and the crew decided to become mercenaries. At some point after Mercenary Unit X split from the Earth Alliance, the Ortigia was modified with a Positron Reflector, taken from a refitted Drake-class cruiser, on its bow.
Second Alliance-PLANT War
When the Second Alliance-PLANT War started, one Agamemnon-class ship commanded the fleet attacking Aprilius One with nuclear weapons. The entire fleet was destroyed when ZAFT's Neutron Stampeder weapon detonated the nukes still in its hold. Several other ships of this class also took part in other space battles of this war. Near the end of the War, two unnamed Agamemnon-class ships were seen with a fleet of Izumo-class, Nelson-class, and Nazca-class to attack the Requiem on the lunar surface.
- Here are the references for the names of the ships of the Agamemnon battleship line:
- The Agamemnon and Menelaos are named for the Greek mythological heroes.
- The Ortigia is an islet in the gulf of Siracusa, Sicily.
- The Doolittle was named for General .
- The Roosevelt was named for United States Presidents Theodore and Franklin D. Roosevelt.
- The Oda Nobunaga was named for the famed 16th-century Japanese warlord.
- The Magsaysay was named for Philippines' seventh President, .
- In Phase-48, Day of Wrath, the announcement to all Earth Forces ships:
|“||The Magsaysay will take command of space divisions 48 and 211 from this point on. The 15th carrier group are to gather at the signal coordinates of the Heinlein.||”|
- Is a meta-reference to Heinlein's novel Starship Troopers where the smallest starships are named after footsoldiers. Upon reading some of their names, Filipino protagonist Johnnie Rico remarks, "There ought to be one named Magsaysay."
- The class name of Agamemnon may be an indirect reference to the American science fiction series Babylon 5, in which one of the principle starships was named EAS Agamemnon, and was also affiliated to an Earth based government called the Earth Alliance.