Technology & Combat Characteristics
With the launch of Operation Uroboros, ZAFT started its Earth invasion campaign. For this campaign, ZAFT not only deployed a large number of ZGMF-1017 GINNs, but also several new mobile suits designed specifically for use on Earth and the AMF-101 DINN was one of them. Developed by the Heinlein Design Bureau based on its earlier ZGMF-515 CGUE, the DINN was the first aerial combat mobile suit, designed to achieve air superiority. To that end, it was more than 40 tons lighter than the CGUE and equipped with six large wings on its backpack, granting it atmospheric flight capabilities.
For high-speed flight, the DINN switches to flight mode, where the six wings are unfolded and its head is covered by an aeroshell. Another equipment mounted on the backpack, the aeroshell was a feature inherited from the ZGMF/TAR-X1 GINN Tactical Air Reconnaissance Type, and served to reduce air resistance, thereby increasing flight speed and suppressing fuel consumption. This also had the effect of extending the DINN's flight range. While the DINN's head was largely the same as the CGUE's, the latter's head-mounted sensor array was omitted to facilitate the deployment of the aeroshell.
Weapons-wise, the DINN was equipped with the same heavy assault machine gun as the CGUE, a new anti-air shotgun, and four 6-tube multipurpose launchers on its chest. As a result, although its flight speed was inferior to that of fighter jets, its firepower was superior. However, its weak armor caused by weight reduction measures became a problem after the OMNI Enforcer began deploying mobile suits, and its combat results began to suffer. Three variants of the DINN were known to be developed and deployed: the AME-WAC01 DINN Special Electronic Installation Type, the AMF-103A DINN RAVEN, and the AMRF-101C AWACS DINN.
- 6-tube Multipurpose Launcher
- The DINN is armed with four 6-tube Multipurpose Launchers mounted in its chest, two on each side. The launchers are often armed with missiles, but can be loaded with other types of weapons or equipment.
- MMI-M7S 76mm Heavy Assault Machine Gun
- The same firearm as used by the ZGMF-515 CGUE, it is an improved version of GINN's machine gun. The Heavy Assault Machine Gun is used as the standard weapon for most DINN and its variants. It is usually stored in the right hip storage rack.
- MMI-M100 190mm Anti-aircraft Shotgun
- Another standard weapon for most DINN and its variants. Although it is designated as an Anti-Air weapon, it can also be used on various targets. It is usually stored in the left hip storage rack.
Following ZAFT's invasion of Earth during the First Alliance-PLANT War, a new type of mobile suit was needed to grant ZAFT forces the power to fight against the Earth Alliance's aerial machines. On May 20, CE 70, the DINN was fielded and soon became one of the standard mobile suits used by ZAFT on Earth. One DINN was piloted by ZAFT commander Marco Morassim, who used it in an attack on the EA assault battleship the Archangel during the First Equatorial Skirmish, where he engaged Mu La Flaga's FX-550 Skygrasper in combat. A number of DINNs were later used in the Operation Spitbreak, a massive attack on the EA's JOSH-A base that ended in failure. During this attack, ZAFT commander Rau Le Creuset piloted a silver-colored DINN. ZAFT used the DINNs in large numbers again during the Battle of Porta Panama.
The DINN remained in service in CE 73, as seen with some units stationed in the ZAFT colony of Armory One, but they were in the process of being replaced by the more advanced and heavily armed AMA-953 BABI.
Gundam SEED Destiny
Notes & Trivia
- The helmet that covers the DINN's head in flight mode causes it to resemble the heads of the Mobile Suits used by the Space Revolutionary Army from After War Gundam X, such as the RMS-006 Jenice.
- Television Series
- Mobile Suit Gundam SEED
- Episode 22 (HD Remastered Episode 21), The Sea Dyed Red - (First Appearance)
- Episode 23 (HD Remastered Episode 22), Fateful Encounter
- Episode 34 (HD Remastered Episode 32), Seen and Unseen
- Episode 35 (HD Remastered Episode 33), The Descending Sword
- Episode 37 (HD Remastered Episode 35), Divine Thunder
- Episode 41 (HD Remastered Episode 39), Trembling World
- Mobile Suit Gundam SEED Destiny
- Mobile Suit Gundam Seed - MS Encyclopedia (2008), p.28-29
- Mobile Suit Gundam Seed C.E. Mechanics & the World (2012), p.96-97
- Mobile Suit Gundam Seed - MS Encyclopedia (2008), p.16
- Mobile Suit Gundam SEED PHASE-22, The Sea Dyed Red
- Mobile Suit Gundam SEED PHASE-34, Seen and Unseen
- Mobile Suit Gundam SEED PHASE-35, The Descending Sword
- Mobile Suit Gundam SEED PHASE-37, Divine Thunder
- Mobile Suit Gundam SEED Destiny PHASE-02, Those Who Call For War
- Mobile Suit Gundam SEED Destiny PHASE-15, Return to the Battlefield